Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 PM   #151
KidLightning
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'm finally brewing up a 3 gallon version of this on Saturday:

2lb 11oz 6-row (53.75%)
1lb 8oz flaked corn (30%)
8oz malted rye (10%)
2.5oz Acidulated Malt (3.125%)
1.25oz Midnight Wheat (1.5625%)
1.25oz UK Crystal 120 (1.5625%)

Estimated stats:

1.048 OG
1.010 FG
5% ABV
11 SRM
26 IBU (4 AAU Cluster @ 60 min)

Fermented @ 65ºF with WLP080 Cream Ale blend

Hoping that the rye and acidulated malt get a hint of tanginess in the beer without it being fully sour (I read somewhere that ~3% acid malt provides a noticeable yet understated tang, but I can't remember where) for a refreshing summer brew.

I will report back with results some time in May!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 04:08 AM   #152
KidLightning
Recipes 

That was a crappy brew session!

I missed my normal efficiency and only ended up at 1.040, plus I misread the package of hops and used too many, so ended up with 32 IBU instead of 26.

Since this is probably too light and bitter, and I used the white labs cream ale blend, I think I'm going to lager it for a month or so after a few weeks in primary and see how it turns out. Hoping that will give me a light, crisp, dry, tangy beer and reduce some of that bitterness.

EDIT: Turns out SWMBO is working all day Saturday, and it's going to be cold and rainy here (I brew indoors), so I'm planning to re-brew this and try to actually hit my numbers this weekend. The full plan is to transfer the original brew to secondary and scoop out a 1/4 cup of yeast slurry to pitch into the new brew. Ferment the new brew (and continue conditioning the original brew) at 65ºF for 2 weeks, then drop the temp to 35. Leave the new brew in for 1 week to clear, and the original will stay in for 4 more weeks to lager. The original is shaping up to be some sort of light American-Alt, based on color, IBU, and hybrid nature.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:16 AM   #153
mpride1911
Angry Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Just finished it up. OG of just north of 1.042. Looking forward to it.

Doing evil things to evil people since 2003.
http://www.facebook.com/CounterinsurgencyBrewing
Primary: 1. Baltic Porter 2. Irish Republican Ale 3.

Secondary: 1. Amber Lager
Kegged: 1. Controlled Pair IIPA; 2. EMPTY; 3. Dunkel Ale 4. Baltic Porter; 5. Kiss Yer Cousin rye ale 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

Old 04-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #154
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrklueber View Post
My son and I brewed another 11 gallon batch of the rye Ky Common ale yesterday. Used the same recipe as before except substituted Papazian's Cry Havoc yeast for the American Ale II yeast that we used last time. Our OG was slightly high, 1.052 vs 1.048 as our efficiency was 75% instead of 70% as planned. Fermentation started within 12 hours and its rocking. Can't wait to get it kegged and carbed up. This beer is rapidly becoming a house favorite. Thanks again to Revvy for his work in bringing this recipe to our attention.
Well, just tasted this version of the beer and it is great!! Just the right note of spicy from the rye, light from the corn, and still reminiscent of a sour mash whiskey. Will brew this one again. The Cry Havoc yeast works well with this beer.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #155
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2659 Times on 1604 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

What temp did you ferment the cry havoc at?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #156
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
What temp did you ferment the cry havoc at?
I fermented at 63F for two weeks in primary and 63F for two weeks in secondary. I did a secondary fermentation this time because I needed my 6.5 gallon fermenters for another batch of beer.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:01 AM   #157
mpride1911
Angry Brewer

Recipes 

Just racked to secondary with an FG of 1.010

Kegged: 1. Controlled Pair IIPA; 2. EMPTY; 3. Dunkel Ale 4. Baltic Porter; 5. Kiss Yer Cousin rye ale 6. EMPTY

Bottled: 1. Blonde ale 2. 1.125 OG experiment 3. Chechen Rebel blackberry blonde ale 4. Arrogant Modified

Revvy Likes This 
Old 04-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #158
KidLightning
Recipes 

I have not had good luck with this beer, though the second version went decidedly smoother than the first. This time my gravity was 1.046, a bit short of the 1.048 I was looking for, but I ended up with almost 3.5 gallons rather than 3.25.

I think I didn't properly account for the fact that I was only using 5lbs of grain, instead of the 6 I've been using with this setup, and used too much water. In the future I'll have to cut back the water by a bit or boil a little longer to get the volume down.

Then, it took almost 36 hours for my fermentation to get going even though I pitched about 1/3 a cup of slurry from the first batch, and the Mr. Malty calculator said I would need less than 1/4 cup.

Fermentation went well after that, however, and I will let this version condition a few more weeks at 65 and then cold crash/lager for a week at 35 before bottling. The first version will spend about 4 weeks at 65 and another 4 weeks at 35 before being bottled.

Old 04-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #159
ScootersAle
Woof.

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I had great success with this beer. Hit my OG dead on but FG was 1.011. Used US-05.

I plan on doing this again and upping the Rye a tiny bit more and maybe a different yeast. This beer is perfect for the 5th season of weather we get up here in Vermont, Mud season, where you still want a dark(ish) beer but you want something lighter than a stout/porter.

Up Next: Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting: Air
Kegged: BierMunchers Helles Belles

Old 05-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #160
mpride1911
Angry Brewer

Recipes 

Just poured a glass.

Attached Images

Revvy Likes This 

Quick Reply