Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #131
KidLightning
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Thanks, I'll probably aim for 2.5 for this one and then tweak from there, if necessary. If I do a bourbon/oaked version or portion, I might go down closer to 2.0 on that one.

I also found this article that suggests a high(er) carbonation level similar to a California Common (2.4 to 2.8) or Cream Ale (2.6 to 2.7) so again I think 2.5 is a good level to start.

And I almost always use regular sugar or turbinado for bottling, depending on what I have on hand, as I don't see the point in having extra sugars lying around. For certain styles I may use brown sugar (brown ales, pumpkin ale) or maple syrup (stouts, rauchbier, or my bourbon black ale) but that's a discussion for elsewhere.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:18 PM   #132
tony579
Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 178 Posts

Just kegged this and the hydrometer sample tasted great even warm and flat. Can't wait for this to carb.

"So it goes..."

Revvy Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #133
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Default Another batch brewed

My son and I brewed another 11 gallon batch of the rye Ky Common ale yesterday. Used the same recipe as before except substituted Papazian's Cry Havoc yeast for the American Ale II yeast that we used last time. Our OG was slightly high, 1.052 vs 1.048 as our efficiency was 75% instead of 70% as planned. Fermentation started within 12 hours and its rocking. Can't wait to get it kegged and carbed up. This beer is rapidly becoming a house favorite. Thanks again to Revvy for his work in bringing this recipe to our attention.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #134
tony579
Recipes 

Liked 179 Times on 178 Posts

This definitely passed the test. One of the most flavorful and drinkable beers I've had in a while. I've decided that this will be one of two brews I'm gonna do for a friend's wedding in September. Thanks, Revvy!

"So it goes..."

Revvy Likes This 
Old 03-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #135
Pastorken
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Revvy, thanks for this recipe. I can't wait to give it a go. How do think this would work with a Cream Ale yeast?

Old 03-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #136
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2727 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastorken View Post
Revvy, thanks for this recipe. I can't wait to give it a go. How do think this would work with a Cream Ale yeast?
It would probably be awesome. Probably be the best yeast for it. I haven't tried it yet. Let me know.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #137
BobbyAAlexander
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Plan on brewing this one sometime this week, but I only have WL005 English Ale. TO anyone who has brewed this, would this fit the profile?

Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #138
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm interested in brewing this, but only have partial mashing capabilities at the moment.

If I replaced the 4.5# of 2-row with Pale Malt Extract, would that be a sin for this brew?

TIA!

Old 03-26-2013, 01:49 PM   #139
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unferth View Post
I'm interested in brewing this, but only have partial mashing capabilities at the moment.

If I replaced the 4.5# of 2-row with Pale Malt Extract, would that be a sin for this brew?

TIA!
It won't work. The corn and rye can't be steeped, they need to be mashed. Your best bet would probably be to do a mini mash with 1.5 pounds six row (for the extra enzymes), and the corn, black patent, and crystal. Then make up the rest of your gravity with 2 pounds rye extract plus as much pale extract as it takes to cover the remainder of the gravity points.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:42 AM   #140
Unferth
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
It won't work. The corn and rye can't be steeped, they need to be mashed. Your best bet would probably be to do a mini mash with 1.5 pounds six row (for the extra enzymes), and the corn, black patent, and crystal. Then make up the rest of your gravity with 2 pounds rye extract plus as much pale extract as it takes to cover the remainder of the gravity points.
Thanks!

Quick Reply