Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 08:51 PM   #121
mcliff1971
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Have a friend who brewed this and it is conditioning in the bottle right now...too bad he lives over 1,000 miles away! Think this will be one of the next recipes I try. Added it to Beersmith and tweaked slightly....can't wait!!!

Hi..my name is Mike...and I am a bubble sniffer....

On Tap - Brown Ale, Irish Stout, Irish Red
Fermenting - Colonial Ale
On Deck - American IPA

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #122
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Revvy, can you comment at all on your choice of two row rather than six row? It seems to me that six row would be more historically accurate and would also help with all the adjuncts. I'm assuming you just stuck with two row because you already had some on hand or it was easier to get, but I wanted to double check to make sure there wasn't another reason.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:28 PM   #123
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2728 Times on 1636 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbie View Post
Revvy, can you comment at all on your choice of two row rather than six row? It seems to me that six row would be more historically accurate and would also help with all the adjuncts. I'm assuming you just stuck with two row because you already had some on hand or it was easier to get, but I wanted to double check to make sure there wasn't another reason.
I used it because I have it in bulk. But yeah 6 row would probably be more historically accurate.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Newsman Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 10:24 AM   #124
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 115

I brewed up a batch of this using BRY-97 yeast, and Mt. Hood hops.
I did have a monster stuck sparge when I brewed it.
The yeast took two weeks to bring the beer down to 1.006.
I really don't taste any of the rye.
All in all a pretty good beer. My wife and daughter enjoy it more then I do.
Thanks for the recipe.

Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #125
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

This beer is a great hit with the family and friends that I have tried it. I will brew it again but may try a different yeast, rather than the Wyeast American Ale II (1272) yeast that I used for this batch. Someone suggested the WLP080 cream ale blend and I like that yeast so I will try it. Great recipe though Revvy. I think it tastes somewhat like a whiskey without the alcohol bite.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #126
BobbyAAlexander
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

What would you think about adding grits to the mash in conduction to the maize? I live near a grain millery (?) and they have some great local grits that I have been trying to figure out how to use in beer. And i think this is a great start.

What do ya'll think?

Old 02-16-2013, 02:37 PM   #127
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyAAlexander View Post
What would you think about adding grits to the mash in conduction to the maize? I live near a grain millery (?) and they have some great local grits that I have been trying to figure out how to use in beer. And i think this is a great start.

What do ya'll think?
I would do either/or, not both....there's no point in it, and you'd be altering the recipe by adding more fermentables. If you want to go oldschool and use grits, then you need to do a cereal mash with them to make them usable. We use flaked corn to skip that step. But there's nothing wrong with doing a cereal mash with grits...it's probably more traditional. Google "cereal mash with corn" for info...IIRC the first non add link that pops up is the one I used to learn how to do it.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #128
KidLightning
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default Carbonation level?

Revvy,

I'm thinking of brewing a version of this up soon and read through the entire thread, but nowhere did I see the volumes of CO2 for this beer. I saw some things that hinted at a low level (2.0?) but was wondering what you shot for in your various versions.

And, here is the recipe I'm thinking of based on my 3.25 gallon stovetop setup (~85% efficiency) I made some substitutions and reductions based on the ingredients I have on hand and added ~3% Acidulated Malt to give just a touch of a sour twang to it for some complexity:

2.7 lbs 6-row (54%)
1.5 lbs flaked corn (30%)
0.5 lbs malted rye (10%)
2.4 oz Acidulated Malt (3%)
1.2 oz Midnight Wheat (1.5%)
1.2 oz Crystal 120 (1.5%)

Mash at ~149 for 60 min. (1.048 estimated OG)

Batch sparge to get about 4 gallons, pre-boil

4 AAU of a clean American bittering hop (Magnum?) for 60 min boil (~26 IBU)

Pitch 6g of rehydrated US-05 and ferment at 65 for 3 weeks (1.010 estimated FG/80% AA)

Bottle with table sugar (or turbinado) for ___ volumes of CO2 and condition for 3 weeks at room temp.

I may also pull off a gallon after 2 weeks and do a secondary on some bourbon-soaked oak chips for a week at cellar temps before bottling, just to see what that's like.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #129
cheezydemon3
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1640 Times on 1234 Posts
Likes Given: 3007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
OOPS, good catch, I meant aromatic.
I corrected my original post.
Yeah, here's another. I live in Ky and I DON'T KISS MY EFFING COUSINS.

(they are fooking hot though!!!he he he he)

I'll try to forgive you you racist bastard.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #130
Revvy

Recipes 

For this beer I just figured there was no thought given to carbing to style, it's a very simple beer for a simpler time, so I just went with a starndard 2-2.5 ish volumes of co2 range that is the average for most kits.

Only I primed with table sugar, since again I kept it simple.

Quick Reply