Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #111
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 346 Times on 225 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Last night was the end of day three in secondary and I couldn't resist having a taste with the thief. It's still murky (I forgot to add my usual Irish Moss in the boil so may add isinglass later). The taste was great (malty but not overpowering), the finish smooth. The mouth feel is just right for a smooth easy drinker. The souring is coming back. The nose has a bit of mustiness reminiscent of the soured portion of the mash. The finish is extremely clean. I can't wait until this is done and carbonated. This is such a mild beer it will be hard to keep in the glass.

Since this is pretty different from the original posted by Revvy (Both sour mashed and oaked), I've put some thought into what I'll name it. Sour mash technique is common in Kentucky and Tennessee. The sour mash whiskey I soaked the oak in was from Tennessee. I live in Alamo city (San Antonio, TX) and one of the heroes of the Alamo was Davey Crockett from Tennessee. I thought of naming it Crockett's Common Ale or Crockett's Fiddle Sour Mash Ale.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:54 AM   #112
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterkid View Post
I brewed this recipe about a month or so. I brewed 11 gallons and split the batch with 2 different yeast, US-05 and WLP 080 Cream ale blend. Both 2 very different beers, loved both. The US-05 seemed more crisper, more rye pronounced. and the WLP080 had more body more balanced. The us-05 is gone, and the other is maybe a few pulls from being empty. I will be doing this recipe again, probably try a another yeast. Thanks for a great recipe.
Here is my glass full.. Thought the glass to be quite fitting.
Thats a brilliant glass. Very comical.With some delicious beer as well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM   #113
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Looking to make this recipe- sounds great. Anyone know how it compares with the new Summit unchained old 152? It's listed as a Kentucky common, and had a sour mash. Tastes great

Old 12-02-2012, 01:32 AM   #114
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I bottled my version of this today. It tasted excellent. The sourmash was just enough. More would have been too much. We'll see how it does with carbonation. One major lesson learned: always use a bag for the woodchips in secondary. What a pain cleaning those out. When I tasted it after the boil the sugar really masked the sourness. With most of the sugar gone it really came forward. The slight tart finish is really clean.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #115
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I put part of this in a tap-a-draft keg and force carbonated. We have been tugging at it for a few days and thought I'd post a pic of it in a glass. Excuse the big chubby hand in the picture.

2012-12-15-11.13.08.jpg  
Old 12-17-2012, 02:14 AM   #116
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Since Im trying this out tonight after making it 6 mo bottled with a 1.054-1.007 05 yeast slurry from a juniper/or ginger? beer. Used half MO/2 Row base flaked rye black patent,crystal 60-carawheat-sub,Galena hops.A bit more hopped with Galena,though.
Very creamy,and heady-very creamy heady as well.Clear darkish amber, mine was slightly overcarbed/oxidized.But very smooth clean and tastey. I think this beer would win over alot of light beer drinkers as well. Its just super tastey and happens to be darker than a beer that would normally taste like this.Has some dark toffee/slight roast that gives it just enough flavor. Love this beer,over and over.Ageing pretty well also.

Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 AM   #117
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I agree with you about how light it is for a beer of its color and profile. I had a friend sample it and his response was exactly what I had thought, "This would make a great summer thirst-quencher." I will be making this again, and again, and again. It will be in my regular brew rotation for many years to come.

Old 12-23-2012, 11:24 AM   #118
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Single Infusion, LIGHT body, batch sparge.

Mash Temp 148 degrees
Sparge Temp 168 degrees
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I have seen this in other posted recipes.
What is a "Light body" mash ?
Does it just relate to the mash temp. , or does it refer to something else (mash thickness, or water chemistry) ?

Old 12-23-2012, 12:32 PM   #119
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2725 Times on 1633 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzlater View Post
I have seen this in other posted recipes.
What is a "Light body" mash ?
Does it just relate to the mash temp. , or does it refer to something else (mash thickness, or water chemistry) ?
It means to mash the grain at such a temp that it produces a wort that doesn't have a lot of unfermentables that contribute to a heavier, fuller feeling when you drink it. The mash temp determines the body of the beer; 156-158 full body, 152-154 medium body, 148-150 light body.

Typically we split the difference in most beers and aim for the middle of medium. But since this beer is supposed to be an easy sipper, I mashed low.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 12-24-2012, 11:14 AM   #120
dzlater
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
It means to mash the grain at such a temp that it produces a wort that doesn't have a lot of unfermentables that contribute to a heavier, fuller feeling when you drink it. The mash temp determines the body of the beer; 156-158 full body, 152-154 medium body, 148-150 light body.

Typically we split the difference in most beers and aim for the middle of medium. But since this beer is supposed to be an easy sipper, I mashed low.
Thanks, I understand how mash temps. effect the beer. I just thought there might be more to it (mash thickness, etc.)
I don't have the Cluster hops.
What would you recommend?
I have:
cascade
centennial
magnum
simcoe
EKG
Mt. Hood
Polaris
I am leaning toward the Mt. Hood, or the Magnum.

Quick Reply