Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 02:19 AM   #101
Mumbly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

Almost a month ago we did a Kentucky common, don't have the recipe hAndy (it's all the way downstairs), but I know it was pale 2-row, acid malt, chocolate rye, rye, and flaked corn mashed low. We did a single hop addition at 60. And added some whiskey chips for a week. It's been in bottles for a week, but at bottling we were sipping on warm flat beer and really enjoying it. The beer is named after a very famous Porsche 550 as the beer tried to kill me several times on brewday.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #102
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Brewed my version of this beer on Saturday. Recipe as follows:

11 Gallon Batch

13# Weyermann Pilsner Malt
4.25# Flaked Corn
2.5# Rye Malt
0.25# Crystal 120L
0.25# Midnight Wheat (550L)
2# of rice hulls
1.5 Tbsp of pH 5.2

1oz Cascade 5.8 AAU at 60 min
1.5 oz Cascade 6.9 AAU at 35 min, total IBU ~ 23

yeast: Wyeast 1272 (American Ale II), made a 1.5 liter starter on Thursday night. Yeast cake in bottom of Erlenmeyer flask of ~ 3/4".

Xenia, OH water - very hard, not sure how this will affect the taste. May have to use RO water next time add some salts back.

Mashed in at 148F for 1 hr. Hit the temp right on. Due to sticky mash, left in mash tun an extra 15 min while mixing in an additional lb of rice hulls (2# total). Gravity before boil - 13.5 gal in boil kettle was 1.040 by refractometer.

Boiled for an hour. Ended with 11 gallons at 1.047 SG.

Fermenting at 60F. Signs of active fermentation within 6 hours. Krausen head is ~ 1" in both fermenters.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:54 PM   #103
sinisterkid
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this recipe about a month or so. I brewed 11 gallons and split the batch with 2 different yeast, US-05 and WLP 080 Cream ale blend. Both 2 very different beers, loved both. The US-05 seemed more crisper, more rye pronounced. and the WLP080 had more body more balanced. The us-05 is gone, and the other is maybe a few pulls from being empty. I will be doing this recipe again, probably try a another yeast. Thanks for a great recipe.
Here is my glass full.. Thought the glass to be quite fitting.

2012-11-12-16.27.03.jpg  
Old 11-13-2012, 01:20 AM   #104
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

I've never heard of the cream ale blend. I'd be interested to try this recipe with it. Thanks for the idea!

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #105
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 353 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Kraeusen fell during the night. Very little bubbler activity. I am going to let it go a few more days (1 full week) in primary then move into a secondary. I used the thief to draw out a sample. Gravity was higher than I wanted (1.016). I'll recheck in a few days. The taste was pretty good, and yes, some of the sour came through after the yeast brought down the sugar. However, the sour is still way too hidden. Next time I'm going to at least double the sour mash portion. There is a bit of weird, but hard to discern, nose. I'll wait to see if it is an infection or a feature of the sour mash. I plan to secondary on wood soaked in sour mash whiskey, but I'll definitely taste it first.

I have part of today's sample cold crashing in the fridge to see what happens with the lower temperature and the yeast out of suspension.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:36 PM   #106
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So, this morning I transferred this beer to secondary. I added some oak chips that had soaked in Sour Mash Whiskey all week. I'm planning on leaving it in secondary for two weeks before bottling. The fermented flat beer was very drinkable. The sourmash comes through only slightly so next time I'll bump it up. It has a very nice clean finish--my wife's two cents worth. I can't wait until it finishes and carbonates.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #107
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2774 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinisterkid View Post
Here is my glass full.. Thought the glass to be quite fitting.
Where the heck did you find that???? I want. It's redneck sophistication at it's best!!!

It's what the guys from Duck Dynasty should be sipping out of while wearing cammo tuxes.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

jonmohno Likes This 
Old 11-18-2012, 03:23 PM   #108
sinisterkid
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where else..Wal-mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Where the heck did you find that???? I want. It's redneck sophistication at it's best!!!

It's what the guys from Duck Dynasty should be sipping out of while wearing cammo tuxes.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #109
biestie
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Getting ready to brew this, and quite frankly, pretty excited about it. I've had a couple commercial/brewpub examples of Kentucky Commons over the years and really liked them. Unfortunately the one that I liked the most I can't remember where I had it (I travel a lot for work). Like yours it wasn't soured, and might be the only one that I've had that wasn't.

A question on the vitals though, 1.010 with a mash temp of 148, that FG seems a bit high for a mash temp of 148? Beersmith predicts 1.006. I don't blindly follow software, but my system pretty much tracks dead nuts on with what Beersmith says will happen, so I'm going to up the temp a bit to hit 1.010 unless I hear otherwise.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #110
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

My version of the Kiss Yer Cousin has only been in secondary for two days and I discovered yesterday when we got back from church, that my wife had left the closet door open on the fermentation chamber (walk-in closet). The door is fronted by a large very sunny window. So, needles to say I imagined everything in fermenters being skunked. Rather than panic (or rather than panicking a lot) I decided to relax (after I finished the final nuclear meltdown) and see what happens. The window is a bathroom window so it is fogged to block view and has UV protection. This morning I decided to sniff the carboy opening to see if there was any skunk aroma. The smell of this beer is awesome. I added bourbon soaked oak chips to the beer two days ago (along with a sour mash infusion in the boil) and can't wait to see what this will become. I will probably sample with the thief this next Saturday. I plan on letting it sit for two weeks but may find the discipline to let it sit for three (especially if I notice the oak doing good things to the flavor).

Quick Reply