Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - "Kiss Yer Cousin" Rye Kentucky Common Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #91
jdub44
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I just plugged this recipe in iBrewmaster and am only getting an OG of 1.037 @ 70% efficiency. Did anyone else have this issue or getting an OG of 1.046 when brewing. Normally this software is pretty damn close to actual when calculating OG. I am going to adjust the grain bill up to get it around 1.046.

Josh
www.warehousebrewery.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM   #92
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Anyone done this with Nottingham yet? I'm brewing it on Monday, and am toying with the idea.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #93
Rdallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just cracked a bottle open from my first batch of this...HOLY S**T. This is awesome. Even my prego SWMBO took a sip and started to cry because she can't drink a whole glass. It still needs another week or so for a little more carbination but other wise a great beer. I did a 5 gallon batch using table sugar for priming. I think the next batch i'll double the rye. Can't wait to drink the rest of these bad boys. Good job Revvy, another great brew!

Old 09-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #94
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

How far along is she? Do you think they'll be any left after she delivers?

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 09-21-2012, 01:48 PM   #95
tieflyer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdallas View Post
I just cracked a bottle open from my first batch of this...HOLY S**T. This is awesome. Even my prego SWMBO took a sip and started to cry because she can't drink a whole glass. It still needs another week or so for a little more carbination but other wise a great beer. I did a 5 gallon batch using table sugar for priming. I think the next batch i'll double the rye. Can't wait to drink the rest of these bad boys. Good job Revvy, another great brew!
Sounds great! Did you tweak the recipe or follow as is except for the table sugar?

Old 09-21-2012, 02:55 PM   #96
Rdallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tieflyer

Sounds great! Did you tweak the recipe or follow as is except for the table sugar?
Followed as is. The table sugar is also to recipe, it's what the op used to prime. I figured it was more true to the style of this beer. I'm not sure how readily available corn sugar was pre-prohibition.
This is a nice drinkin beer. Smooth and a nice rye spice to it. Like i said before ill add more rye next time. We'll see how it improves with age.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #97
Tiber_Brew
It's about the beer.

Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 138

Revvy, I want to thank you for posting this recipe! I tweaked it a little, but not much, and it turned out fantastic. I've gotten LOTS of compliments on it, too many to list here. It's well balanced, has wonderful aroma (I was skeptical that it would be a bit bland on the nose), and the flavor/mouthfeel is perfect for a refreshing drink or even a session beer. I got better efficiency than I planned, so I overshot the OG by a tad. My specifics are as follows:

11 gallon batch

Water:
Ca - 60 ppm
Mg - 9 ppm
Na - 20 ppm
Cl - 60 ppm
SO4 - 66 ppm
Bicarbonate - 166 ppm
Cl/SO4 = .91

Grain:
10 lb 2-row pale
4.5 lb flaked maize
1 lb rye malt
.25 lb roast barley (did not have black patent on hand)
.25 lb C-120
.25 lb acid malt

mash @ 148 for 90 minutes

Boil:
90 minute boil total
1.1 oz. Magnum (12.5%aa) for 60 minutes (~25 IBU)
Irish Moss @ 15 min

OG: 1.047

Split into two fermenters and two yeasts; fermenter A: WLP001 2L starter, fermenter B: WLP008 (East Coast Ale) 2L starter
FG(A): 1.007
FG(B): 1.008

I will definitely be brewing this one again. I'm not sure I'd change anything. Really.
I am particularly impressed with the way that the East Coast ale batch turned out. I think I'll stick to this yeast strain for this recipe from now on.

Tiber

1. Ger Pils 2. Ger Pils 3. Ger Pils 4. Ger Pils 5. none 6. none
Secondary:
1. Brett Ale 2. none 3. none 4. none
Bottled:
About 36 gallons of beer & 4.2 gallons of mead
Kegged & conditioning:
Breakfast Stout x2, Belgian Dubbel, Chocolate Milk Stout, Oktoberfest (lagering), Pale Ale x2
Revvy Likes This 
Old 11-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #98
mrklueber
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 46

As a Louisville native and an ex-pat living in Ohio, I was excited to see this recipe. I was struggling to find a beer to brew this coming weekend and after reading this extensive post, I think this is the beer my son and I will brew. My thanks to Revvy for his research into this beer and to all who contributed to the thread. I will post my results.

Old 11-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #99
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I know this is an old thread, but I found it while researching sour mash and beer so I thought I would respond. I love the recipe given. I am making it this weekend, but I decided to try it with a sour mash addition. For the addition I started with two pounds of pale 2 row and reserved one cup of it from the mash. After mashing, heating to denature amylase and then cooling I soaked the reserved grain in the wort (around 100-110 degrees). I put this in a small cooler with plastic wrap pressed down on top of the wort to keep out oxygen. I plan to let this set for two days before the main mash and boil. I then plan to add this to the boil kettle after the mash. I didn't check gravity on this, but will add it to the kettle before checking OG on the full mash. I can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:45 AM   #100
cluckk
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 347 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I brewed it yesterday and it is going strong right now with a nice head of Kraeusen (beautiful Ivory color) and a very steady bubble from the blow-off tube. I was a bit dismayed that I didn't hit the quoted OG. I only got 1.043. However, some of my research shows this within the range of the original style so we'll simply enjoy what happens and see if I can bump it up a bit next time. The color was lighter than the picture shows and lighter than my brew app predicted. I am wondering if the lady grinding the grain forgot the black malt. It could also be that the small amount just didn't do much. It actually has a beautiful dark rich mahogany color that I think will be nice. The sourmashing was very interesting. I had seen other videos where they had some monstrously god-awful concoction after souring. I let mine go for two days--three would have probably been better now. It smelled pretty bad. When I tasted it though, "Oh my gosh! That is wonderful!" To me it was delicious (perhaps it is the years of eating strong cheeses). It left a clean, pucker in the mouth that was very refreshing--no slime. I was tempted to just see if I could ferment out the sour part and drink that. Pouring it into the batch the flavor was really lost, but I hope that when the yeast has fermented out much of the sugar the twang will come back to the foreground. I am thinking of adding oak chips soaked in sourmash whiskey in the secondary. I may even split the batch and try one with the oak and one without so I know what features come from the oak and which ones from the sourmash addition. From the taste before fermentation, I will definitely be making this again. Next time I will make a much bigger (probably triple) sourmash culture and let it sour for three days. I have dedicated a small 2 gallon cooler as a souring tun.

Quick Reply