Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Extract - Kieran the Irish Immigrant American Amber Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #11
Roasty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I'm not at all surprised. When I brewed it, this beer appealed to many people.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-25-2009, 05:38 PM   #12
justflow1983
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just opened my first bottle of this and it was excellent. My housemate, who sticks to belgians and crappy lagers (he grew up in belgium and his preference varies depending on his wallet) stated "I would buy that." Since he usually is pretty narrow, that sums up the general reaction to this beer. Great brew!

Old 04-17-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Roasty
Recipes 

Default Disaster or just more ABV?

So I went to make my second batch of this today. Everything was fine until I tested my OG: 1.082. I realized I used 4lbs of Pale LME by accident instead of 3.3. It shouldn't affect my hop efficiency much, as I did a late malt addition of about 50%.

Would someone more experienced than me give a prediction how this will turn out? Is it going to be nasty? Should I go add some more water? Will the ABV get too high for the yeast?

Old 04-18-2010, 12:57 AM   #14
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Call it a double amber. The yeast can handle that just fine. Do yourself one favor though and try to keep the fermentation temps 66-70. Much warmer than that and it may taste strongly of alcohol, which will fade with age, but better to avoid it in the first place.

Edit: Hold on...with 4 lbs DME and 4lbs LME in a 5 gallon batch I calculate an expected OG of 1.064. Your wort probably wasn't mixed thoroughly. Expect ~6.2%.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 PM   #15
Roasty
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastarine View Post
Your wort probably wasn't mixed thoroughly. Expect ~6.2%.
Yeah, that's probably it. I took the sample from my filtering/bottling bucket before I transferred it to my Carboy (where I shook the hell out of it to oxygenate and mix). Fermentation seems slower than I would have expected, but my laundry room is a little chillier than the rest of the house, so I'll look at that as a good thing.

Old 05-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #16
dash14251
Recipes 

im brewing this one this week, cant wait fellas!

Quick Reply