Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Hoppy American Amber or Malty American Pale Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #121
keezerj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjonacron
I think im about to brew another batch of this, its such a perfect medium of malty and hoppy. Im likely going to always have this around.

Edit- how many volumes are you carbing to? I finally got a kegerator and absolutely have to put a batch in it soon, will either be this or my belgian wit sitting in the primary now.
I haven't really measured my volumes of co2. I've only had 5 batches since getting my keezer. I've actually been so excited for everyone that I have just burst carbed each one to taste. It's been great

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2013, 04:09 AM   #122
keezerj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

So I have had this beer on draft for a couple weeks now and the flavors keep changing. It's crazy. I thought it was good when i first kegged it but now it is amazing. I have brewed about 12 batches in my life and this is the best one. The finish on this beer is remarkable. It just keeps going. This is better than any commercial amber that I have ever tasted. Maybe my brewing practices are getting better at the same time but I love this recipe. I wish I had a 10 gallon capacity because I'm almost out.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:32 PM   #123
finsfan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 25 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1842 Times on 1302 Posts
Likes Given: 3691

Has anyone tried this with 1056?

Drinking helps fight against Radioactive poisoning. The survivors of Chernobyl were drunk at the time. Drink up HBT!

Old 10-12-2013, 08:12 PM   #124
temple240
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm going to brew this tomorrow but I'm not sure what yeast I want to use. I picked up BRY-97 because the lhbs didn't have Denny's but I just remembered that the oatmeal stout I'm going to bottle tomorrow (coincidentally also your recipe Yooper)is on a Denny's yeast cake.

Would it be a bad idea to reuse the oatmeal stout yeast for this amber ale? I know that it's not recommended to go from dark to lighter beers when re-using a yeast cake but I think that I might get away with it for this recipe. I would be careful not to over pitch.

Old 10-17-2013, 02:47 AM   #125
bluelakebrewing
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

Yum

Old 10-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #126
tbeggs15
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Just made this today, can't wait to taste it.

Brewing it up!!

Favorite Beer Dagger Falls Sockeye Brewery in Boise, ID

Tyson Beggs

Old 10-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #127
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 125

I just ordered the ingredients to brew this, I couldn't find those damn oats locally!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #128
temple240
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 50 Posts

I brewed this with flaked oats because I couldn't find golden promise. I also opted to use Chinook, Amarillo, and a little centennial. Yeast was bry97.

I just poured my first pint and I'm in love with this beer! It has the perfect amount of malty goodness with a hint of chocolate and the blast of hops that I crave. Thanks for the recipe yooper!

Old 11-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #129
JonM
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 737 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Going to pick up the ingredients for this tomorrow. I made it a while back and it was fantastic.

I just finished Palmer's Water book, and am going to build from RO water using the "Amber Balanced" profile in Bru'n Water. My calcium, sulfate and chloride are all higher than in the original recipe, but in the green acceptable range in Bru'n Water. This will be my third batch adjusting water, but the first where I'm adjusting with little knowledge of what's going on, thanks to Palmer's book. The first two times I kind of blindly added CaCl2 and hoped for the best. Wish me luck!

EDIT: After running everything through Bru'n Water and getting the water additions, I read the rest of this thread. The additions Bru'n Water provided are pretty much identical to Yooper's recommended salt additions on p. 10 of this thread.

Old 12-01-2013, 09:17 PM   #130
deliveryboy555
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

This recipe was my first ever ag brew. I used WLP01 as couldn't get the Denny's in the UK. Used Marris Otter pale malt and subbed in more pale malt for the oats as the ones I had weren't crushed and I don't have a grinder. Made an all grain starter the night before which was fun! Rookie mistakes aplenty in this brew. Mainly related to taking readings. Heated strike water up as per instructions and mashed in. Started out at about 153/4 but dropped to 151 for the majority of the mash. First runnings were extremely dark. Not expecting that at all. Got a lot of wort out with the 4 odd gallons of sparge water prescribed. Didn't measure volume before boil! Issue I had was not being able to maintain temp of mash water as I only have one pot. I heated sparge water to temp and the transferred to a bucket so I could capture the wort in the pot. Then I added bittering hops 15 mins before boiling (whoops). Boil was fine, and rest of hop additions went in ok. Cooled down ready for pitching in good time. I pitched, aerated and took my original gravity reading. I thought I had hit 1.085 when in fact I read the wrong part of the hydrometer (read approx sugar instead of specific gravity). I actually hit 1.068-70. However as I thought I had over hit my OG I decided to dilute the wort with another gallon of water. I sealed it up and it's been doing its thin now for a week. Today I took the first reading. I hit 1.015!! How did that happen? It's still very dark and pretty bitter but it tastes pretty decent. My wife was very surprised at how good it was and drank most of the sample! That chocolate malt is really coming through and the hops are great. I've sealed the fermenter back up and I'm going to leave it now until Christmas and bottle. I've got 6 gallons there Is it worthwhile to check the FG again tomorrow to see if it's finished? Based on the airlock activity I'd say it is.

Quick Reply