Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Hoppy American Amber or Malty American Pale Ale?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #101
bulldogbrewhaus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
I just brewed this again, also for a wedding. Since the groom is a hophead, I added dryhops of 1 oz each Centennial and Cascade. Very much anticipated!
Sounds good to me. The balance of this beer is pretty nice as is, but some dry hops would take it to another level. All I did was primary for 3 weeks, bottle and cellar for a week, then cold conditioned for a week. Simple as that.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #102
dapete
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 11

This being only the 2nd beer I've ever made, I cannot believe how fantastic it turned out. I chose this because I like Red Rocket from Bear Republic but, after this one, I'm not sure I like that anymore!
My LHBS told me they had it all in stock and then subbed Special B and Oat Malt for the Golden Naked Oats but, after tasting, I guess I can forgive them ;-)
I think I will always have this in the rotation. I just might want to play with the hop schedule to smooth out the bitterness just a smidge (just my preference). It's already way smoother than Red Rocket and I love the mouthfeel. I can't wait to brew it with the Golden Naked Oats.
Everyone I have given this to has loved it. I'm waiting on feedback from a neighbor who used to brew for Lost Coast, but I think he's going to love it.
The problem I have with this recipe is that it's making me want to jump up too 11g batches! Thanks Yooper for the recipe and all the advice along the way. You ROCK!

Old 06-25-2013, 12:04 AM   #103
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapete View Post
Thanks Yooper for the recipe and all the advice along the way. You ROCK!
Ya, Yooper is worth her weight in hops, for sure!

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 06-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #104
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4785 Times on 3480 Posts
Likes Given: 956

Quote:
Originally Posted by frazier View Post
Ya, Yooper is worth her weight in hops, for sure!
ha- that's funny right there!

Old 07-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #105
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

I brewed this last week. Had to make a couple substitutions. I used flaked oats instead of golden naked, and used nugget for bittering addition. Overshot my OG at 10.70, ground water here in florida isn't very good for chilling so i placed in my chamber and pitched the next morning, 1 quart starter decanted of the denny's fav 50. This was only my 3rd AG batch and if I'm using the calculators right, I'm close to 80% mash Eff. hydrometer sample today was very promising, i'm very much looking forward to drinking this one.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #106
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Two weeks @ 64 is fine for this right? Hit fg of 1.015 by about day 5ish. Maybe ill take it out of the chamber and.leave it for another week at room temp to make sure ita completely done. Need room in my chamber for another brew on day 15.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #107
dapete
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
This being only the 2nd beer I've ever made, I cannot believe how fantastic it turned out. I chose this because I like Red Rocket from Bear Republic but, after this one, I'm not sure I like that anymore!
My LHBS told me they had it all in stock and then subbed Special B and Oat Malt for the Golden Naked Oats but, after tasting, I guess I can forgive them ;-)
I think I will always have this in the rotation. I just might want to play with the hop schedule to smooth out the bitterness just a smidge (just my preference). It's already way smoother than Red Rocket and I love the mouthfeel. I can't wait to brew it with the Golden Naked Oats.
Everyone I have given this to has loved it. I'm waiting on feedback from a neighbor who used to brew for Lost Coast, but I think he's going to love it.
The problem I have with this recipe is that it's making me want to jump up too 11g batches! Thanks Yooper for the recipe and all the advice along the way. You ROCK!
The only problem I ran into is that I over-carbed and the yeast will not stay on the bottom of the bottles. I measured my priming sugar by volume rather than weight (I know... Rookie Mistake) but the Denny's Fav 50 gets in the glass even with a perfect pour. Anyone else run into this issue with Denny's Fav?

Old 07-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #108
ronjonacron
Recipes 

Haha i jusy bottled this today and did 5/8 cup table sugar... hoping for the best.. guess its time to pony up and buy a kitchen scale.

Old 07-19-2013, 02:15 AM   #109
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
The only problem I ran into is that I over-carbed and the yeast will not stay on the bottom of the bottles. I measured my priming sugar by volume rather than weight (I know... Rookie Mistake) but the Denny's Fav 50 gets in the glass even with a perfect pour. Anyone else run into this issue with Denny's Fav?
I have found this yeast to be less flocculent than others such as US-05. Giving the bottles an extended stay in your fridge helps a lot.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #110
dapete
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

thx frazier!

Quick Reply