Hopacles (AG)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohiobrewtus

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Nottingham
Yeast Starter
none
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
2 sachets
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
1 week @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks @ 66
I just pulled the first pints of this yesterday and it's a monster. I've never had Pliny or DFH120 so I unfortunately I can't compare this to either of those. It ended up a bit darker than BeerSmith predicted it would, I'd say it's about 9 or 10 SRM.

The hops in this certainly come up and smack you in the face. Once you get through about a half a pint and your palate becomes accustomed to it, it seems to really balance out well.

When I brew this again I will dryhop at least one more time before I keg. This has a mild hop nose which is nice, but I was hoping for a much more agressive nose.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Hopacles
Brewer: HopHed Brewhaus
Asst Brewer:
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (41.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.39 gal
Estimated OG: 1.093 SG
Estimated Color: 7.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 306.1 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
14.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 73.68 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
2.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.53 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 5.26 %
3.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 91.7 IBU
3.00 oz Warrior [16.40 %] (60 min) Hops 115.6 IBU
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 65.8 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (10 min) Hops 8.5 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 9.4 IBU
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 15.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 19.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 5.94 gal of water at 170.1 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
Dry hop the final 7 days of secondary with 1 oz of Amarillo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks similar to The Destroyer of Worlds, which I bottled last weekend and should be drinking soon...only difference being that I didn't go crazy with the bittering hops like you did. I figured, hops are crazy expensive right now, and I'd much rather hit it with a simple, large Galena addition to get my IBU's up above 100, then back-load (and mash-hop) the sumbitch with tons of flavor/aroma additions. It's intensely hoppy, and the Willamette gave it a really nice spicy/cedary character.

So, at the end of the day, do you think it was worth it to front-load with all those bittering hops? Is the "humans can only perceive up to 100 IBU's" thing debunked?

I'm no scientist, so I'm not about to claim that I've debunked the "humans can only percieve up to 100 IBU's" thing, but I have brewed and consumed a lot of hoppy beers. My APA is 70, my amber is 65, my IPA is 120 and this a good deal hoppier than anything I've ever brewed before.

I stocked up on hops from AHS before prices went up. I had planned on brewing this beer for quite sometime.

It was absolutely worth it to me. I really enjoy over-the-top hoppy beers and this is certainly fits the bill. This beer certainly isn't for everyone, as SWMBO will gladly attest to.

Yeah, I stocked up like crazy with hopsdirect before the hike...got my stuff for $11/lb., and you know what their "pounds" look like: somehow there are 28oz in a "Puterbaugh Pound". Anyway, even though I got 'em for cheap, it'll still cost me more when I eventually need to restock, so I took it a little easy. I mean, I still used 5 or 6 oz of hops in the bastard...but I think my IBU's were "only" around 140.

Back