Home Brew Forums

Home Brew Forums (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum.php)
-   American Ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/)
-   -   Fat Sam Amber Ale (http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f66/fat-sam-amber-ale-88880/)

Yooper 11-15-2008 06:30 PM

Fat Sam Amber Ale
 
1 Attachment(s)
This beer came about from a mistake. I wanted to make a Fat Tire clone, but AHS was out of Munich malt, and the hops I wanted. So, I subbed the malt, and then subbed the hops. The result was a beer that tastes like a cross between Fat Tire and Sam Adams Boston Ale. It's easy to drink, and most people love it. Hence the title- "Fat Sam".

The beersmith file is attached for those who have Beersmith. Attachment 8480

The recipe is:

10 pounds pale malt (I used maris otter)
1 pound biscuit malt
1 pound crystal 60L

1 ounce centennial (to get you to 28-29 IBUs) 60 minutes
I used an ounce of 7.7 and .25 ounce of 8.5% AAUs
1 ounce Liberty (4.5%) 30 minutes
1 ounce crystal (3.3%) 2 minutes

Clean, well attenuating ale yeast. I've used Pacific ale yeast, WLP001, and Wyeast 1056, as well as Nottingham with good results.

Yooper 06-27-2009 02:43 PM

This beer scored a "38" last year in the NHBC. It's a good everyday drinker.

Ogdenenator 09-28-2009 03:58 PM

Trying to use beersmith to convert this to extract with steeping grains.

Any idea what to do with the biscuit malt?
Just steep it anyway?

Thanks this looks like a good recipe

BrokenBrew 01-29-2010 03:06 PM

After a little over two weeks on gas, I just pulled my first pint of this last night. This is probably the best beer I've made to date. Great malt flavor, plenty of bitterness, with a pretty good hop nose. Definitely one I'll do again!

The only thing I changed was I used Cascade for the second two hop additions, and WLP001 for the yeast.

Thanks for all you do on this board, all the great advice you've given me, and the great recipes. You, Revvy, EdWort (to name only a few) have helped me improve my beer far past I would have ever gotten on my own.

Thanks!

Yooper 01-29-2010 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrokenBrew (Post 1846584)
Thanks for all you do on this board, all the great advice you've given me, and the great recipes. You, Revvy, EdWort (to name only a few) have helped me improve my beer far past I would have ever gotten on my own.

Thanks!

Thank you for the kind words. I'm glad the beer turned out so well for you!

BrewCityRyan 06-13-2010 04:03 PM

Does anyone think 1-3oz of Honey Malt would be good with this? Looking to make a honey flavored brew today.

AirRageous 06-22-2010 09:52 PM

Yooper, I'm going to brew this this weekend. What mash temp and time do you recommend? I have a bunch of local New Mexico grown cascade hops. They seem to have a slightly higher AAU than store bought cascade. How do think they will do in this recipe. I used them in an Irish Red and the flavor and bitterness made it out of style but it was a great tasting beer anyway.

Yooper 06-23-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AirRageous (Post 2125117)
Yooper, I'm going to brew this this weekend. What mash temp and time do you recommend? I have a bunch of local New Mexico grown cascade hops. They seem to have a slightly higher AAU than store bought cascade. How do think they will do in this recipe. I used them in an Irish Red and the flavor and bitterness made it out of style but it was a great tasting beer anyway.

I mashed it at 153 or 154, I believe. I don't know about the cascades. I LOVE cascade, but this recipe isn't citrusy with the hops I chose, so it'd be a big difference. I think the malt bill will work fine with it, but it won't be anything like the recipes I've done.

AirRageous 06-23-2010 03:02 AM

Thanks, I'll give it a go and let you know how it comes out in about 6 weeks or so.

AirRageous 06-24-2010 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YooperBrew (Post 2125386)
I mashed it at 153 or 154, I believe. I don't know about the cascades. I LOVE cascade, but this recipe isn't citrusy with the hops I chose, so it'd be a big difference. I think the malt bill will work fine with it, but it won't be anything like the recipes I've done.

I got ingredients for 10 gallons. I am going to split it to 2 five gallon batches. One will use the hops recommended here although they did not have Crystal so we subbed Mt. Hood. The other 5 gallons will be with the local DeSmet Farms Cascades. Should be interesting to taste the difference.


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:38 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.