Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - The Electric APA

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 AM   #11
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 12

how did the batch with the extra oz of centennial turn out? did you end up experimenting with different dry hops? i have some galaxy and citra. hmm. need to brew this soon, been on a fizzy yellow beer kick but this will break things up nicely i think.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veedo View Post
how did the batch with the extra oz of centennial turn out? did you end up experimenting with different dry hops? i have some galaxy and citra.
I made 10 gallons and did end up dry hopping with Ahtanum in half and NZ Galaxy in the other half.

I haven't tapped either keg yet but samples show a lot of promise. They're pretty similar to the original. I really do like the original recipe as is.

The extra oz of Centennial at flameout probably won't be noticed much given all the other hop goodness going on. I only added it because it was there and easier then repacking it up...

Kal

Old 06-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
Tico
Recipes 

Kal,
I am curious about brewing this but in a 3 gallon scale. Any suggestion on the grain amounts for a 3 gallons post boil?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:13 AM   #14
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

The amount of grain to use depends on not only batch size but also efficiency, so nobody can tell you how much grain to use as it depends on your system's efficiency (which nobody but you knows).

Plug the numbers into whatever brewing software you use and it'll convert for you.

Your software and then scale up or down depending on how much you want to make. All brewing software lets you put in your system efficiency too.

Kal

Old 06-30-2012, 06:45 AM   #15
anthonyroggero
Recipes 

Kal,

I forgot to mention, when I made my batch, I followed your recipe but I had a pound of Dark Belgian Candi laying around so I added it in the last 15 mins of boil. Didn't do much flavor wise but it did add a very nice caramel aroma.

Thanks again for the recipe.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:01 PM   #16
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Finally going to brew this up tomorrow, my starter of wlp001 is stirring on the counter right now. When i plugged this recipe into beersmith i was in the 40's for ibus, aa content was almost the same, what did you use to calculate ibus kal? I switched the 20 minutes to 15 to get around 39, im wondering if i should have stuck to 20. Im excited for this brew, been the first batch in about 4 months and all my kegs are empty!

Old 09-09-2012, 02:04 PM   #17
kal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I use Beer Tools Pro with their "basic" (standard) IBU calculator (the one that's used by default).

Beer Tools Pro by default doesn't use Rager or Tinseth. You can select from a number of curves and even edit them yourself if you want. There's also gravity and pellet hop correction graphs that can be loaded/edited. Neither is used by default.

Here's the window where you select what to use:

If you wan to manually edit the curve or create your own it looks like this:

More details here: http://www.beertoolspro.com/wiki/Utilization

So the "basic" curve which is their default gives gives me 36.9 IBU.
Changing to the "Rager" curve gives gives me 40.5 IBU.
Changing to the "Tinseth" curve gives gives me 31.4 IBU.

There's also Mosher (24.4 IBU), Garetz (13.2 IBU), Daniels (52 IBU), and Fowler (22.3 IBU). You can create your own too.

As you can see, the IBU will vary greatly depending on which expert you want to believe as they all have different curves as they how "they" think hop bitterness is absorbed based on boil time. A range of 13.2 to 52 is massive!

I take them all with a grain of salt as there's a lot of variables involved including hop age too. I basically feel there's no such thing as too much hops near the end of the boil (last 0-5 minutes). One of these days instead of adding all these hops at various times, I'd to try plopping in a full pound of hops at flameout and nowhere else and let it sit for 5 mins before chilling. I think that would be an interesting APA. I know some commercial beers only hop through a hop-back (basically the same thing) but then they have longer contact time usually and due to the large volumes the beer is often still (technically) boiling.

The only thing these experts have in common is that if you boil long enough, you'll extract all of the hop bitterness. They argue a bit as to how much bitterness is extracted total but they're fairly close. Where they disagree with each other is how fast hop bitterness is extracted over the first 20-40 minutes (the early part). That's where an all-late-addition recipe like this falls apart when it comes to IBU calculations and you'll see widely varying IBU numbers. Most beers have a bittering addition at 60 minutes which gives the beer most of its bitterness so most curves will give similar results.

So long story short: Don't put too much stock on IBUs. There are a dozen different ways to calculate depending on who you believe. The only way to truly know is to have the final beer analyzed.

Kal

Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 PM   #18
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

wow. thanks for the awesome replay kal. i think BS uses tinseth by default iirc, strange because that makes me even higher yet. ill double check my aa content and make sure i didnt bone something up. but otherwise i think ill wing it and toss them in at 15 for the first addition

Old 09-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #19
Veedo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

fermentation is pretty much complete and i am a few days into the dry hop. i cracked the lid to see how things were going, krausen has dropped and i was floored by the smells coming from the primary! very tropical, peachy and citrusy smells. best smelling fermentation yet, hopefully it tastes just as good.

oh and kal, i just found your basement build thread on your website, amazing!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #20
RacingRam
Not left handed
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Electric APA label

Hey Kal! I'm slowly building a kegerator setup and I think your Electric APA will be the first brew on tap in my house. Just added gelatine and cold-crashed last night, and it smells amazing.

I love making labels for my beer, and I think what I'm going to do now that I'm kegging is make a 5x7 photo label and frame the current beer label on the front of the kegerator.

I'm no graphic designer, but here's what I made for your beer if you're interested (I had to make some adjustments to the recipe based on time and hop availability).

electric.jpg

Confession: I drool over your setup on a weekly basis. The basement is looking great!

Quick Reply