Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #551
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Going to do an "inspired by" batch of this as my next brew.

Started from the AG recipe, swapped the MO out for Vienna (because I used MO for my last brew, and I want to learn the difference), and then traded that off for DME to get down to a partial mash that I can handle. Haven't settled on the hops schedule, but it'll be some combination of Brewer's Gold, Willamette, and Spalt select because I have a huge amount of those sitting in my freezer. My initial thought was to use BG for 60 min bittering, Willamette for the 30 minute, and SS for the 5 minute, but we'll see. Yeast-wise, I'm going to try WLP007.

So, well, I don't think I can pretend that this is the same recipe, but the proportions and specialty malts are certainly Yooper's creation. But we'll see what happens.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 AM   #552
zeg
Recipes 

Well, brewed the PM batch with Vienna + DME last Sunday. Mash was probably a little high, ranging from 156-158. Went with about 33 IBU, mostly from an ounce of Brewer's Gold at 60 mins, an ounce of Willamette at 15 mins, and 2 ounces of Spalt Select at 5 minutes. I had some trouble measuring the OG. I measured 1.053 after dilution, which is 0.011 low. Based on my measurement of the wort pre-boil it should have been closer to 1.060, maybe 1.058 at the lowest, so I suspect I hadn't mixed things up enough. Probably never know for sure though.

Pitched a decanted 2L starter of WLP007 and kept it around 60°, which is probably a bit cold for WLP007 from what I've been reading. Fortunately, I had made my starter around that temperature, so at least the yeast were trained for the cold a little bit. Nevertheless, it had a quick start (burping by 2 hours after pitch, big blowoff on Monday during the day). It had a flurry of activity but had slowed substantially by Wednesday. Temperatures in the garage rose, so it's been warming up since then, now it's at about 66 and I'll probably let it get up to 68ish if I can. It's still burping along happily...

Took a gravity sample / taste test today, 5 days after pitching. It's green, but it's going to be good. SG is about 1.018 (might have been 1.017). Still has a fairly sweet taste, with a rich and complex malt flavor. There's an earthy, almost gritty but not sharp bitterness to it, and a soft but pronounced grapefruit aftertaste that lingers on the palate. There is a tiny hint of an aroma that I think may be diacetyl, but it's barely there. Yeast-wise, it's very clean.

So, I'm going to give it at least another couple weeks in primary. I may go to secondary if I decide to start a mead with the fermenter it's in right now, otherwise I'll give it a bit longer on primary. I'm hoping it'll dry out a tiny bit more (though with a mash as high as I had, this may not be so likely). I'd also like the grapefruit to fade a bit, but maybe that's the effect of the late hops. In any case, I was a bit worried this would come out too similar to the ESB that I recently bottled. No more worries there, this one is also malty but quite different.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #553
roguemc
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Making my 1st batch of this, so far everything is normal, I read celcius on my thermometer and broke a carboy.

Making this with us05 and northern brewer for bittering hop (have some left over from last year). Should turn out great... It's beer!

Old 10-16-2012, 05:14 AM   #554
HeuristicsInc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I never followed up on this one... it took a while to lose its flatness and get a head, and the beer at first tasted real sweet, but after a month and a half after bottling I think it blended really well.
So, nice one! I shared a half-growler with my wife tonight and she approves.
Thanks for the advice, and my next beer had a starter
-bill

Primary - ohiobrewtus's Old Ale

Old 10-19-2012, 12:18 AM   #555
Raysfan08
Recipes 

Ok, brewed this 2 wks ago extract with extra pound of DME. It went from 1.081 to 1.021( checked today). I used wyeast 1056. Should I leave it in primary for another wk or put it to secondary? Fermentation has slowed to a bubble every 20-30 seconds. Leaning towards leaving it, but any advice is appreciated.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #556
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4949 Times on 3585 Posts
Likes Given: 1002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysfan08 View Post
Ok, brewed this 2 wks ago extract with extra pound of DME. It went from 1.081 to 1.021( checked today). I used wyeast 1056. Should I leave it in primary for another wk or put it to secondary? Fermentation has slowed to a bubble every 20-30 seconds. Leaning towards leaving it, but any advice is appreciated.
I'd leave it another week or so, and then bottle it when it starts to clear.

Find me on facebook: Lorena Evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 10-21-2012, 10:59 PM   #557
cwschupp
Recipes 

Kegged and carbed my batch on Friday and have been drinking all weekend...tastes better each day. OG of 1.072, kept in primary 3 1/2 and finished at 1.018...gonna get another batch of this in the queue. Used yeast harvested from a bomber of Brutal Bitter that I stepped up over a week

image-36115611.jpg

Old 11-12-2012, 01:22 PM   #558
doomXsaloon
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
When you switched to Xldme did you re calculate the recipe to convert the Lme to 3.2 pounds DME....making a total of 7.2 pounds XLDME...or did you use 8 pounds?

This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^?????????????

[U][B]On Tap: St. Valentines Stout;
Primary: Space Grass Ale;
On deck: Marzen; Red Rye IPA

Old 11-12-2012, 03:21 PM   #559
zeg
Recipes 

Tried my first bottle of the Vienna-version of this (which I'm calling YMVA for Yooperish Maibock Vienna Ale). Needs a couple more weeks to carbonate and condition a bit more, but I think it may be the best result yet. The grapefruit has subsided and the beer is rich, with some raisiny flavor and a firm bitter finish that is well balanced with the richness. There's a bit of harshness to the aftertaste, which I think may be due to the Brewer's Gold hops, but it also may condition out. We'll see. In any case, it's not a serious flaw, just picking nits.

My next beer is based on Revvy's Vienna Lager, which turns out to be within a pound of Munich malt and half a pound of DME of the same grainbill as my implementation of this ale. I changed the hops around (went with 100% spalt select), but it's so similar it should give a pretty good comparison of the difference between an ale and a lager. This wasn't really planned, but it is a happy coincidence for my first lager.

Last edited by zeg; 11-12-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Swap transposed V and M (shouldn't post early in the day).

Old 11-13-2012, 01:09 AM   #560
roguemc
Recipes 

This beer is delicious!! I kegged this last week and as green as it is I can't believe how smooth this beer tastes. What a great recipe thanks

Quick Reply