Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #451
jerseyhb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have a question, which I think I already know the answer to... My friend and I brewed this as an extract in early December, kegged in early January, but we definitely have a harsh alcohol taste, even now after aging for 6 or so weeks. The fermentation temp where we stored this (basement) hovers at around 68-70 degrees, and we used harvested pac man yeast with a starter. Fermentation started after about 8 hours. I think we somehow got fusel alcohol flavors in there, which is odd, since I used the same harvested yeast a few weeks later for an IPA, which seems to be doing fine. I am guessing that we should just stick this one in a corner for a few months to mellow out? Could this have been due to using harvested yeast or just because it was a bigger beer?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #452
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

My first guess would be temperature. 70F is pretty high for that kind of beer. My basement stays around 61-62F this time of year, but I still chill to <70F to keep the temperatures down.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:59 PM   #453
jerseyhb
Recipes 

Yeah, it is definitely at the high end of the temp range for the yeast. I was planning on investing in/finding a fridge and temp control, and this will get me moving on that. Can anyone give me feedback on fusel alcohol flavor and their experience with it and if they have seen it condition out with time? I have been taking samples, and it seems to be going away very slowly. I have 4 other kegs to get through, so I have some time to age this one.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:05 PM   #454
Redcat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Has anyone done a long primary on this beer? I'm considering racking it to a secondary, but this being my second brew I don't want to make a mistake and contaminate it.

I know it might not be as clear as a beer that has been moved to the secondary. I did use Irish moss, and it is looking pretty good at 10 days.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:07 PM   #455
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

This is now a standard beer in my repertoire. I do nothing but a one-month primary and right into the bottles. Great beer!

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 02-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #456
terrenum
Recipes 

Default Help with Partial Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
Well, I made another batch of this a couple of weeks ago- it's still in primary. I pitched on a pacific ale yeast cake- and it finished at 1.006! Holy cow- it's dry! I mashed at 153-154, so I definitely wasn't planning on it being that dry. Darn!
Hi Yooper,
I always brew all grain. Now it's too cold in Quebec so I will brew partial mash. Was looking at this recipe but have a question about steeping speciality grains such as munich.. I thought these needed to me mashed. Can you explain this? Should I add a bit of 2-row to the specialty grain and cut back on the LDME in order to have a better conversion? IS the Munich there only for color and taste and not to bring gravity points. Am I missing something? Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #457
shadows69
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Mine finished at 1.012 on WLP001 yeast. it's in the secondary only because i need the yeast. So far from the sample taste it is good.
I have Pacman yeast on order to do a second run and i'll be able to compare the two.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #458
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4286 Times on 3123 Posts
Likes Given: 831

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrenum View Post
Hi Yooper,
I always brew all grain. Now it's too cold in Quebec so I will brew partial mash. Was looking at this recipe but have a question about steeping speciality grains such as munich.. I thought these needed to me mashed. Can you explain this? Should I add a bit of 2-row to the specialty grain and cut back on the LDME in order to have a better conversion? IS the Munich there only for color and taste and not to bring gravity points. Am I missing something? Thanks
Yes, Munich must be mashed. But it can convert itself so there isn't any need to add two-row.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #459
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 605

I am going to try this recipe out this weekend. I have US Golding, Sterling, Cascade and Summit hops on hand. Will the Golding or Sterling work with this recipe or should I go ahead and buy some Perle to get more true to the flavor? Thanks!

Old 03-01-2012, 05:42 PM   #460
Indytruks138
2 Punks Brewery
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 212 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 605

Anyone? I'm brewing this weekend and want to make the right hops choice.

Quick Reply