Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Dead Guy Clone (Extract & AG- see note)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #31
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhucks7 View Post
Ok i am going to brew this recipe this weekend. One little problem. Neither of my local HBS's have any of the yeasts that are mentioned in this thread. Are there any other yeasts that I could try that would work as well? I am a big fan of Dead Guy Ale and dont want to mess this one up. Thanks in advance.

SD

My LHBS had me use wyeast 1338 European Ale the first time I did it and I thought it was fantastic...

I suppose barring that a clean ale yeast like US-05 safale dry would be fine.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2008, 02:29 PM   #32
trlrunnr
Recipes 

I am going to be brewing this recipe this weekend! My LHBS gave me US-05 safale yeast to use. They told me that with this yeast I do not have to make a starter and can just pitch in right in the cooled wort. Has anyone had experience with this? So I just open the packet and pitch it in? Should I warm up some water and get the yeast active first?
Sorry, I am a noob and just want to make sure that I don't screw it up!

Old 07-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #33
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 165 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlrunnr View Post
I am going to be brewing this recipe this weekend! My LHBS gave me US-05 safale yeast to use. They told me that with this yeast I do not have to make a starter and can just pitch in right in the cooled wort. Has anyone had experience with this? So I just open the packet and pitch it in? Should I warm up some water and get the yeast active first?
Sorry, I am a noob and just want to make sure that I don't screw it up!
You can rehydrate dry yeast if you wish, but it's not necessary. I just get the wort to pitching temps an dump it in. I've done this on my last 6 brews with no problems.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:43 PM   #34
trlrunnr
Recipes 

Thanks! I will have to let you know how it turns out!

Old 07-30-2008, 03:09 PM   #35
sdhucks7

Recipes 

I used the US-05 on mine that I did a few weeks ago. I am going to keg this stuff this weekend. The Hydrometer samples taste awsome, now I cant wait to get this stuff on tap

SD

Old 07-30-2008, 03:15 PM   #36
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

US-05 is my favorite dry yeast. Rehydrating is a good practice, only because it helps cut down on the lag time, because it wakes up the yeast a bit...It's easy, warm some water up to the temp range on the packet (I usually use hot tap water and let it cool to the range.) Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water, and let it sit for 15 to 30 minutes, then swirl up the yeast and pitch.

I do this recipe quite a lot but never with US-05, I've used bottle harvested pacman yeast and Wyyeast 1338 euro ale yeast (I think it tastes amazing with this yeast) but not with 05...I'll have to try it someday...05 is a great, clean yeast.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-04-2008, 10:12 AM   #37
trlrunnr
Recipes 

Default Fermentaion help!!

I brewed this up over the weekend. Since it is very warm here in NJ I put it in my basement to ferment, thinking it would be cooler down there. On Sunday morning I checked it and was fermenting at about 77, bubbling very nicely. Fearing that this was too high a temp I put it in the refrigerator to try and control the fermentation temp. Checked Sunday night and it was at 61! Checked this morning and it was at 55 I noticed that I had also stopped bubbling. Did I ruin my batch of beer or if I raise the temp to around 60 will it continue fermenting?

Old 08-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #38
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4482 Times on 3261 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by trlrunnr View Post
I brewed this up over the weekend. Since it is very warm here in NJ I put it in my basement to ferment, thinking it would be cooler down there. On Sunday morning I checked it and was fermenting at about 77, bubbling very nicely. Fearing that this was too high a temp I put it in the refrigerator to try and control the fermentation temp. Checked Sunday night and it was at 61! Checked this morning and it was at 55 I noticed that I had also stopped bubbling. Did I ruin my batch of beer or if I raise the temp to around 60 will it continue fermenting?
If it hasn't finished fermenting (it would go very very quick at 77), then you could bring it back to a more reasonable temperature (depending on which yeast you used) like 64-68, and you'd be fine. Well, even if it is finished fermenting, it would be good at 64-68 degrees. I use a big Icecube cooler and put some water in it and ice bottles (only about 2) around the fermenter and it helps stabilize the temperature.

Old 08-20-2008, 02:52 AM   #39
Morrison
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

brewed this recipe except i used dry amber malt extract in place of the pale LME and fermented it at about 65 with white labs euro ale yeast. I have only brewed about 15 beers and this is for sure the best. awesome recipe.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:24 AM   #40
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Light or Dark Munich?

Hi,

I'm going to brew this clone this Wednesday.
While typing recipe... I saw that it calls for Munich malt.
In my LHBS, we have light and dark munich.
Which one do I need?

Weyermann Light Munich Malt - Highly modified. Reinforces flavor of Bocks, Octoberfests, and Porters. SLightly toasty character. 11.5% Protein, 5-7ø Lovibond

Weyermann Light Munich Malt - Darker version of Munich Malt. Highly modified. Reinforces flavor of Bocks, Octoberfests, and Porters. Toasty character. Can be used to subistute for toasted malt. 11.5% Protein, 8-10ø Lovibond.

We also have 3 different Caramunich with different lovibond
1. 31-38 lovibond
2. 42-50 Lovibond
3. 53-60 lovibond..

Lighter one or darker one would be better for this beer? I remeber dead guy wasn't too dark...I would use 31-38?

Is this special grain more for color than flavor? I'm planning to use all LME by converting the DME into LME portion due to bulk LME at LBHS. So it will use light LME for sure.

Quick Reply