Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 12:42 AM   #81
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4343 Times on 3158 Posts
Likes Given: 845

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanN View Post
Okay, first off I totally messed up some things with this recipe.....LHBS bucket and cloth to guide crushed grains was misplaced so I ended up with .5 lb on the floor which was likely the crystal. I added "some" grains to make up for this, a pound if I remember correctly but I'm not sure what the pound consisted of? My way of thinking would make me believe it was Maris Otter. Anyway, I followed directions from that point and hit a 1.071 OG, too high but my LHBS has been giving me 85% efficiency regularly. Anyway, even with all the mess ups this beer is the best I've brewed by far, seems very balanced. Thanks Yooper!
You made me laugh! You totally messed up my recipe, got a different OG, and still gave me the credit for the recipe.

I think that you're giving me WAY too much credit- it sounds like you made a great beer all on your own.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2010, 02:31 PM   #82
Slowfro
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yooper - great brew! My OG was a bit low but this turned out to be the best beer I've made yet. Only problem is there are only 5 gallons, I need to jump on another batch because that certainly won't last long around the house!

Great Outdoors Brewery:
You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!

www.frobrew.com
@frobrew on the twitter

Old 12-07-2010, 03:19 PM   #83
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowfro View Post
Yooper - great brew! My OG was a bit low but this turned out to be the best beer I've made yet. Only problem is there are only 5 gallons, I need to jump on another batch because that certainly won't last long around the house!
Thanks for the reminder! I'm making an IPA today, but I think I should brew this again next week. We haven't had it in a while.

Old 12-07-2010, 03:41 PM   #84
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I brew my slightly tweaked version of this recipe every other batch. Thanks again for sharing.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #85
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Currently have 2 different beers on tap and another 4 in process. With my short term memory deficiencies and pipeline, I tend to forget which beer is which.

Kegged 10 gallons on Sunday and tasted it. Absolutely fantastic. My wife tried some and agreed. THAT is the beer. "Which one is this?" she asked. "I don't know, have to check my notes."

Duh, of course it was Yoopers. This year's Cascades are delicious.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:51 PM   #86
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post
Currently have 2 different beers on tap and another 4 in process. With my short term memory deficiencies and pipeline, I tend to forget which beer is which.

Kegged 10 gallons on Sunday and tasted it. Absolutely fantastic. My wife tried some and agreed. THAT is the beer. "Which one is this?" she asked. "I don't know, have to check my notes."

Duh, of course it was Yoopers. This year's Cascades are delicious.
My 2010 cascades seem to have less aroma and flavor than the 2009. Maybe it's just my location, but they were harvested at the perfect time and just dont' seem to have the "punch" that the 2009 hops had. I still have a package or two of the 2009s, so when I make it again I'll use those! This is my "next up" recipe!

Old 01-15-2011, 04:26 AM   #87
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

I'm gonna brew this sunday. looks interesting. I like using Columbus, so I'll bitter with that and finish with Cascades. I dont have any crystal 20, so I'll sub with Caramunich. Looking forward to it

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 AM   #88
sudsmcgee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 52

General question: is the 30 minute hop that important? Could I just adjust the 60 minute to get the same ibu's? I'm just learning, and I thought 30 min hops additions were kinda pointless.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:58 PM   #89
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsmcgee View Post
General question: is the 30 minute hop that important? Could I just adjust the 60 minute to get the same ibu's? I'm just learning, and I thought 30 min hops additions were kinda pointless.
No, it's not important at all, and it is kinda pointless! That way my way of using an "even" amount of hops, and still getting the IBUs correct! I didn't want to use .35 more hops at 60 minutes, I think. I don't really recall now, but it worked out with my AAUs and so I've kept it!

I'm making this right now, as a matter of fact- just mashed in. The only changes this time are bittering with chinook (.5 ounce) and then using .5 ounce at 5 minutes instead of that one cascade addition at 5 minutes.

Old 01-16-2011, 10:03 PM   #90
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Ok.Just put 10 gallons of this in the fermenter. I subbed CaraMunich for the Crystal 20 and used 2 row for the base malt. I used 2 oz Columbus 12.2 @ 60, 1 oz Columbus @ 30 and 2 oz Amarillo 7.5 @ 5 min. I calculate 49 IBU's. The wort tasted great, my OG came in at 1.053

On Tap: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen, Toecutters Honey HPA

Fermenting: Belgian Orange Crystalweizen

Quick Reply