Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #71
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4274 Times on 3113 Posts
Likes Given: 820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelale View Post
Off-topic. Hey Yoop. I was doing a search day before yesterday for bail return springs for a vintage Zebco Cardinal 4 spinning reel, the Swedish-built ones. I happened upon a Cabelas fishing forum where a person posted with the user name "Yooper". Is that you? If so, do you have a set of bail return springs for a Cardinal 4?
Hahaha, no. Unfortunately I do NOT have a set of bail return springs for a Cardinal 4. I have some old Zebcos but I've never been on a forum besides this one. (Don't you think I spend way too much time online as it is? )

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #72
Reelale
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1373 Times on 1331 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper_Brew View Post
Hahaha, no. Unfortunately I do NOT have a set of bail return springs for a Cardinal 4. I have some old Zebcos but I've never been on a forum besides this one. (Don't you think I spend way too much time online as it is? )
Ha. Thought I'd check. I guess that user name is more common than I thought. And no, you don't spend too much time here. Your posts have helped my brewing out a lot. Sorry for the hijack. Now back to your regularly scheduled program.....

Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 PM   #73
johnnybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Yooper, brewed this on Thursday and while it is fermenting ok, it isn't as aggressive/active as I would expect. I have a bubble from the airlock every 5 secs or so. Is this a trait of s05? Typically with most other brews they are bubbling away in the first 48 hrs. E.g., I brewed EdWort's hefe yesterday and it's cranking away. Just wondering if I should dehydrate another pack and pitch?

See my Corny Keg Chilling Insulator

Old 10-17-2010, 10:06 PM   #74
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrew View Post
Yooper, brewed this on Thursday and while it is fermenting ok, it isn't as aggressive/active as I would expect. I have a bubble from the airlock every 5 secs or so. Is this a trait of s05? Typically with most other brews they are bubbling away in the first 48 hrs. E.g., I brewed EdWort's hefe yesterday and it's cranking away. Just wondering if I should dehydrate another pack and pitch?
Each fermentation is different, but there isn't anything special in the ingredients that would cause a change. If it's fermenting, I'd leave it alone.

Old 10-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #75
johnnybrew

Recipes 

Quote:
Each fermentation is different, but there isn't anything special in the ingredients that would cause a change. If it's fermenting, I'd leave it alone.
Thanks, Yooper!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:00 PM   #76
knotquiteawake
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Ok, So I converted the previously attached beersmith file to PM based on my 4 gallon pot and 5 gallon cooler (with an optimistic 60% eff) and this is what it kicked back to me. I'm sure I could fit more into my cooler but my first run with the cooler was something like 50% or lower because I couldn't get my temps right (I am getting a thermapen now). How does what BS came up with look? I think now that I will hopefully be able to get the temps better that I could go heavier on the grains. I would do all grain but I am limited in pot size and stove output.

Code:
4.39 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 48.97 % 
1.49 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 16.62 % 
1.45 lb Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 16.24 % 
0.90 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 10.04 % 
0.36 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.06 % 
0.36 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4.06 % 
1.39 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.2 IBU 
0.95 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -  
1.04 oz Cascade [8.00 %] (30 min) Hops 14.0 IBU 
1.39 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (10 min) Hops 6.9 IBU 
0.70 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (5 min) Hops 1.9 IBU 
0.48 oz Cascade (homegrown) [6.30 %] (0 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep) Hops -  
0.95 items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 min) Misc  
1 Pkgs Safale US-05 (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Old 11-01-2010, 06:47 PM   #77
johnnybrew

Recipes 

Quote:
Yooper - not sure if it was answered here, and sorry if it was and I just didn't see it, but you mentioned that you used dried whole hops for your dry hope addition. In that past I used pellet hops for dry hopping and they eventually sunk to the bottom (about 1 week). It doesn't look like these will sink in one week's time. Is this correct? Can't wait to taste it! Thanks again!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:04 PM   #78
NCBeernut
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

This looks like a stellar recipe. I might have to try this next time an APA gets on my to-brew list, but with centennial (my favorite american hop) or a blend of centennial/cascade.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #79
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnybrew View Post
Yooper - not sure if it was answered here, and sorry if it was and I just didn't see it, but you mentioned that you used dried whole hops for your dry hope addition. In that past I used pellet hops for dry hopping and they eventually sunk to the bottom (about 1 week). It doesn't look like these will sink in one week's time. Is this correct? Can't wait to taste it! Thanks again!
You can use either leaf hops or pellet hops. If they don't sink, you can just siphon from between the two layers- the hops on top and the trub on the bottom. I like to start the siphon in the middle of the fermenter, and just lower it as the top level lowers. You can do a really good job siphoning like that.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 AM   #80
RyanN
Recipes 

Okay, first off I totally messed up some things with this recipe.....LHBS bucket and cloth to guide crushed grains was misplaced so I ended up with .5 lb on the floor which was likely the crystal. I added "some" grains to make up for this, a pound if I remember correctly but I'm not sure what the pound consisted of? My way of thinking would make me believe it was Maris Otter. Anyway, I followed directions from that point and hit a 1.071 OG, too high but my LHBS has been giving me 85% efficiency regularly. Anyway, even with all the mess ups this beer is the best I've brewed by far, seems very balanced. Thanks Yooper!

Quick Reply