Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #491
jbsg02
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 11

About to oxygenate and pitch US-05, I subbed the 10 and 5 min addition for Centennial because I has less Cascade than I thought. Ended up with just under 5 gallons, so my OG is around 1.066 instead of 1.058.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-05-2013, 09:49 PM   #492
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm going to rack this to the secondary and dry hop in a few days. I have some homegrown cascade and was given some homegrown Canadian Redvine. I make 10 gallon batches, split between two fermenters, so it's easy to experiment. Has anyone ever dry hopped with Canadian Redvine? I've never used it before. I'm wondering if it would be a good fit with this brew? Was thinking of dry hopping one bucket with cascade and the other bucket with just Redvine. Thoughts?

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: None
Kegged: American Wheat, Sierra Nevada clone, American Amber, ESB, Hoppy blonde, Pliney the Toddler, and Simcoe IPA

Old 04-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #493
Esmitee
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I have to say, I like a lot of different styles of Beer. I don't really care for the Double. Triple and/or QUAD IPA's. For that matter I really don't like real hoppy beers in general. Too bitter for me. However, With the great reviews I read about it in this thread, I thought I mite as well give it a try. I'm glad I did. After I brewed the 1st batch and filled my keg up,I gave it a good whiff, and thought......man this smells very HOPPY. Well
, It is..........But not like other IPA's I tried. To me it's very hoppy But pleasantly hoppy. Just a very , very, tasty brew. I'm like it soo much, I'm on my 3rd batch with this last batch being 10gal. A 1st for me. Everyone that tasted it so far, said the same thing! I brewed the recipe as is. I didn't change anything. I used Wyeast 1056..............Yummy Yooper!

Thanks.

Old 04-06-2013, 09:12 PM   #494
jakturner
Recipes 

Hey guys any suggestions on how to scale up the hops schedule for a 3 gallon boil? I planned a PM of this for Friday and any input would be great. Thanks

Old 04-10-2013, 03:47 AM   #495
fitzy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just bottled this...

CANNOT recommend this beer enough. I wish I had a bigger hydrometer test jar so I could drink more - it is tasty as hell! Give me strength to let these puppies bottle condition.

Play with the hops within reason. Columbus and centennial are very nice in this.

Yooper I've said it before and I'll say it again - yer brilliant.

x 1,000,000

Old 04-11-2013, 03:26 AM   #496
BuffaloBrad
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Going to brew 10 gallons of this on Sunday. Based on what I have read in this thread I cannot wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing Yooper!

Old 04-11-2013, 05:13 AM   #497
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Brewed this for the third time, but used citra and amarillo. Can't wait.

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 1: Citrarillo IPA
Primary 2: Big Baltic Porter
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 04-15-2013, 04:39 PM   #498
BrewmeisterSmith
Thirsty Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I ended up racking 5 gallons to the secondary and dry hopping with .50 oz willamette and .50 oz cascade pellets. Just kegged yesterday. Smelled and tasted great. I just threw it in the kegerator because I'm sure it will be ready to drink by next weekend.

I also racked 5 gallons to another secondary and dryhopped with whole cascade hops. Worthless. I didn't get anything from the whole hops. They seemed to be bone dry in the middle. Maybe I'll try running these through a salad shooter next time since I'll have a lot of whole hops on hand from the garden.

"I enjoy a pint of beer each night for its health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves." -unknown

Primary: None
Kegged: American Wheat, Sierra Nevada clone, American Amber, ESB, Hoppy blonde, Pliney the Toddler, and Simcoe IPA

Old 04-15-2013, 09:20 PM   #499
tre9er
Recipes 

Liked 232 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Brewed a beer loosely based on this (partly due to what I had on hand, partly due to me being the type to fiddle with things, wanting to use some Amarillo, etc.). Here's what I made:

70.5% Pale Ale Malt
17.4% Vienna
8.7% Crystal 40
3.4% flaked Oats (experimenting with these)

Hop schedule as follows:
Nugget FWH
Cascade Pellet 20
Amarillo 20
Cascade Pellet 10
Amarillo 10
Cascade Pellet 5
Amarillo 5
Cascade Pellet 0
Amarillo 0

I kinda hop-bursted it, at least I added a lot of the hops from 20 down to zero (over half the IBU's). I'm going to dry-hop with equal parts of Cascade and Amarillo, too. Wanted a punchy PA that was nearing IPA realm, sessionable (should be around 4.8%), but good malt character and deeper color. Came out 1.044, 9 gallon batch, 32.1 IBU. Mashed medium body, so I expect 80-85% attenuation with the re-pitch of 200ml US-05 slurry. Oxygenated with 0.5 micron o2 stone for 2 minutes until I could see tiny bubbles all over in the wort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
Open log Fermenting and gas-can secondary?? I am planning my next brew right now!!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:08 PM   #500
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Finally did a recipe loosely based on Yoop's Pale Ale. I did a 2.5 g batch. It was my first AG and I did it as a BIAB. Seemed very astringent and VERY cloudy in the beginning. I finally tapped the keg after a month and it cleared perfectly and is now a beautiful beer. I used all Cascade and was surprised that there was very little grapefruit.. but a lot of floral taste/aroma with a bit of spiciness. All in all.. I'm quite happy.

Also, I had Shane (NeighborsBrewingCo) make a few labels for me. This is the one I'm using for this APA. I'll be making it as a regular so the label is something that will be used over and over as necessary.

Quick Reply