Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 04:05 PM   #461
BrewinBromanite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
No need for malto dextrine when you go all grain. You can control that variable with mash temp.

Drop the crystal if you don't want the sweetness, but mash higher if you want to have a bit more body to the beer, which will leave a little more sweetness, but not enough to make a huge difference.
Thanks for the suggestions! Guess I need to let some of the PM and extract old habbits go! I do like some of the flavor/complexity from crystal malt (in moderation), so I'll take your advice and try cutting down on the crystal, and just mash a little high to keep some good body in there (which I guess pretty much adds dextrins the "natural" way). First AG and full boil here I come!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2013, 12:28 PM   #462
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 56 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Brew this recipe yesterday and thought it went pretty well.

I use BeerSmith to calculate amount of water and temp.

Started off mashing in with 3.5 gallons of water at 166. Added grains and mashed at 153. Not upset about the 1 degree. It stayed at 153 the whole hour which I was happy about.

Did a mash out with 2 gallons of water at 197. It only got to 165 which again I wasn't upset about.

My total preboil volume was supposed to be 7.8 gallons but I only got a little over 7.6 gallons. My preboil gravity was right on the dot at 1.041.

My ending volume was about 5.5 gallons. I threw away a quarter gallon to end up with 5.25 gallons. My OG was 1.053. A little off. I think if I boiled it for another 10 minutes or so it would have brought it up a few points.

I think I need to recalculate my boil off. I think it is a little high in BeerSmith. A few minor errors but overall it went well.

Kegged: Dunkelweizen, Fizzy yellow beer and Pumpkin Ale

Bottled: Nothing

On my list to brew: Stone IPA and some kind of wit

Old 03-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #463
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post

Started off mashing in with 3.5 gallons of water at 166. Added grains and mashed at 153. Not upset about the 1 degree. It stayed at 153 the whole hour which I was happy about.

Did a mash out with 2 gallons of water at 197. It only got to 165 which again I wasn't upset about.

My total preboil volume was supposed to be 7.8 gallons but I only got a little over 7.6 gallons. My preboil gravity was right on the dot at 1.041.

My ending volume was about 5.5 gallons. I threw away a quarter gallon to end up with 5.25 gallons. My OG was 1.053. A little off. I think if I boiled it for another 10 minutes or so it would have brought it up a few points.

I think I need to recalculate my boil off. I think it is a little high in BeerSmith. A few minor errors but overall it went well.

Yeah, the 1/4 gallon tossed your gravity off. Use your numbers and adjust for you boil off. Also look at fermenter loss. See what that is set at and see what you've left behind in the pot. I normally lose .6 gallons for break material and some hop debris through my hop spider. I make sure to add it all so I can start with the right volumes.

Eventually, you'll get it down solid. Now I can wing it and still get close.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 03-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #464
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Yeah, the 1/4 gallon tossed your gravity off. Use your numbers and adjust for you boil off. Also look at fermenter loss. See what that is set at and see what you've left behind in the pot. I normally lose .6 gallons for break material and some hop debris through my hop spider. I make sure to add it all so I can start with the right volumes.

Eventually, you'll get it down solid. Now I can wing it and still get close.
I use a hop bag so the only trub left I have is the break material which I usually toss right in my primary. It was set to .25 gallons though.

I just went in and set it to zero then sit my batch size to 5.5 gallons which is what I ended up with and my OG on BeerSmith is 1.055 so I would have been only two points off.

I do need to re-calibrate my system.

Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #465
D_Nyholm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by h22lude View Post

Omg, why did u throw away perfectly good wort? Blowoff tube!

Old 03-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #466
h22lude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_Nyholm View Post
Omg, why did u throw away perfectly good wort? Blowoff tube!
It was the trub that I dumped. All the break material and some hops that was able to get out of the bag.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:15 PM   #467
lewishowardm3
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Brewed this on Friday night. Went very well. Can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 03-12-2013, 04:39 AM   #468
jakturner
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Hey guys and gals, I'm wanting to brew this as a partial mash with the 2 row replaced with 3# dme but I can only boil 3-3.5 gallons due to my set up, and was wondering how to adjust the hops to compensate. Any suggestion on a revised hop schedule would be great. Thanks!

Old 03-19-2013, 05:46 AM   #469
olz431
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Man I cracked open my first bottle of the second batch of this stuff. It doesn't fail to impress. The only thing i changed was a 1.5 oz dry hop with centennial, extremely drinkable, wish I put a few more in the freezer.
Jakturner, I brewed a partial mash of this last time, I will dig up my notes and let you know what i used for hops.

Mmmmmmm BEER.
Primary 1: Citrarillo IPA
Primary 2: Big Baltic Porter
Primary 3: Full Nelson Pale Ale
Secondary 1/ Primary 4: Rochefort 9
Primary 5:
Bottled: Zombie Dust, Yoopers House Ale, DFH 90 clone, Two Hearted Ale, Dead Guy, Dundalk Irish Heavy

Old 03-19-2013, 11:04 PM   #470
fitzy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

This was my first all grain batch. Changed up a few of the hops - bittered with Columbus, and did the .75 hit with Centenniel, but otherwise kept it the same. Smells gorgeous, and the wort tasted delicious. Yooper, you're brilliant!

She's actively fermenting away as I write this, and has been happily doing so for a good 30 hours.

I followed the yeast rehydration and fermentation guide from Fermentis. They nailed it, I've never seen such a happy yeast. Will update when it's done.

(First post ever)

Quick Reply