Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #331
jkendal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotica View Post
i brewed this and kegged it after 24 days in primary. Skipped dry hopping and let the keg sit in a closet under 5lbs of pressure for a month while i snuck a wheat beer onto the tap for a relative.

Tried last weekend and it is definitely an excellent brew. Very clean, nice cascade smells, and neighbor asked my wife if i really brewed it myself. Lol. Will brew again soon so i have another keg ready to go. It's gonna go fast.

[edit] added pic

yum!!!!!

We've got provisions and lots of beer
The key word is survival on the new frontier
~ Donald Fagen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #332
shataway
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Very nice recipe and definitely a brewover. I forgot the flameout hops but it was delicious anyway! Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #333
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HbgBill
I'd like to try this recipe. I am wanting to try my first AG brew and need some help. I WANT to brew a bunch of batches at about 2 G. The reason is I don't get to brew much.. can't drink it fast enough.. and I want to learn to dial in a process(es).. so, many brews should help me with that.

How do I convert Yoop's original recipe to a 2 G batch..? Also, If I'm doing a small batch, can I buy a vial of yeast, shake it well and only pour half into the FB.. saving the rest for next week? I understand that measurements will be critical.. more so than, say, a 5 G batch.. and I have a good scale. I will probably do the mashing in a bag in a smaller pot on the stove if that makes a difference. Does 1.25-1.5 qts per pound sound right for this small batch? Any other advice? Yep, I know small batches don't make much sense.. but.. I'd really like to brew more often.. for now.

Thanks for any help.

Bill
You qts per pound sound about right. On the higher end of that range (with a thinner mash) you may want to stir from time to time to ensure the enzymes get a lot of contact time with starches since the mash is more dilute.

As for scaling recipes up and down, there are a number of websites and stand alone programs that will help with that. BeerSmith does a good job and you can download a free trial. I also use Beer Calculus, a website at hopville.com when I am just tinkering with a recipe. It does a good job of letting you change volumes and grain ratios on the fly when trying to tune a recipe.

I would never use a partial vial of yeast and hold the rest for a batch that I was not going to brew same day. I am sure some do, but for me, the risk of contamination is too great. Use a pitching rate calc like mrmalty.com and pitch accordingly. You may be surprised to find that a good yeast calc like that will tell you .5 of a vial would not be enough. If its close, I have always erred on the high side of what mrmalty recommends.

It has been my experience that once you take viability, handling, etc into consideration, it is pretty hard for the average homebrewer to over pitch. We are much more like not to give our beer enough healthy viable yeast.

Good luck. This is an outstanding recipe that I have brewed many variations of.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #334
winvarin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 45 Posts

Just for fun. I plugged in 2 gal of 1.048 ale to mrmalty. Using a brand new vial (I gave it a use by date of 10/1/12) mrmalty recommends .7 of a vial with no starter. You would be more than fine using a full vial under those conditions

Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #335
BrotherGrim
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

First, this recipe looks great! I was looking for a few recipes to put together my next few brews and I ended up picking two of yours. But now, I have a question for you Yooper. What do you think of using Wyeast 1272 with this recipe? I have ordered the grain bill for this and your fizzy yellow, but I was wanting to re-use my washed 1272 instead of starting a new strain. I was thinking the 1272 would work better with this one than the fizzy yellow but looking for your thoughts on it.

Thanks for the input.

...Free at last! Free at last! As of 1 July the state of Mississippi has

Set My Kettle Free!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #336
BrotherGrim
Recipes 

First, this recipe looks great! I was looking for a few recipes to put together my next few brews and I ended up picking two of yours. But now, I have a question for you Yooper. What do you think of using Wyeast 1272 with this recipe? I have ordered the grain bill for this and your fizzy yellow, but I was wanting to re-use my washed 1272 instead of starting a new strain. I was thinking the 1272 would work better with this one than the fizzy yellow but looking for your thoughts on it.

Thanks for the input.

Set My Kettle Free!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:28 AM   #337
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

You know, I dont' think I've ever used Wyeast 1272. It should work just fine, but I don't have any experience with it at all.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:31 AM   #338
BrotherGrim
Recipes 

It was one of my first smack packs and it is a super clean bottom floc yeast. It washed out really easy so i am wanting to keep the strain going. I did get the Safale 05 but as it is dry, I was thinking I would keep it and use it on another brew. On that topic, how is the 05 to wash?

Set My Kettle Free!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #339
Jaehnig
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Say ya to da U.P., eh? One Yooper to another!

V/R,
BrewTech

Old 08-06-2012, 02:33 AM   #340
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherGrim View Post
It was one of my first smack packs and it is a super clean bottom floc yeast. It washed out really easy so i am wanting to keep the strain going. I did get the Safale 05 but as it is dry, I was thinking I would keep it and use it on another brew. On that topic, how is the 05 to wash?
I rinse and save S05 often. It stays clean for quite a while!

Quick Reply