Originally Posted by smokewater
Brewed up another batch of this yesterday. I spilled about 1/2 pound of my grain while mashing in. In an effort to make up some gravity points I threw in .75 lbs of flaked oats I had sitting around from a Blue Moon Clone batch I made last summer. I figured what the hell. I am learning and experimenting anyway. Wound up with 1.054. I also used 1 oz of 10.1 Amarillo for bittering and dropped an ounce of cascade 5.5 pellets in a few at a time the last 30 minutes (dogfish head style)
Finally bottled this last weekend after 5 weeks in the primary. I kept it in there that long due to traveling for work and not being able to package it.
It tasted great out of the bottling bucket.
I couldn't wait another week so I didn't dry hop. As an experiment I bottled half the batch then added a hop tea made by boiling about a quart of water, steeping an ounce of cascade pellets in a paint strainer bag for 20 minutes(off the heat not boiling) and stirring that into the bottling bucket.
I figured since I already messed up the recipe I might as well learn something about a hop tea addition. Doing half the batch will give me a side by side comparison with the same wort as well as my last batch of this dry hopped 2 weeks.