American Pale Ale Da Yooper's House Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed this up today. I am still fine tuning my system so I missed the og a little(1.052) but it wasn't too bad.
It smelled great and the little I tried tasted great.
Thanks Yooper for the recipe.

OG 1.056, FG 1.015 after 2wks in primary. Didn't want to wait a week of dry hop so just racked on top of 1oz cascade in keg yesterday and letting her carb to 2.4vol co2...will be trying her out next weekend!

Day 6 in keg, carbed at 12-15 psi, perfect carb day 5 so kept at 12. Drank 4 growlers worth with neighbors last night...they were loving it! Very good pale even being so young still!! One buddy was at a contest other month and tried all beers there and thought this was one of the best he tasted! Thanks again Yooper!!

White Dog Brewery

I brewed this about 3 months ago.....it came out fantastic.

I brewed it again about a month ago, but substituted Patagonia Pale Malt which my LHBS had a few bags of. The owner said he had heard great things about it, but had yet to brew with it himself.

It's been in a keg now for 4 days, and I cannot wait to try it. I'll let you all know if the Patagonia lends anything different.

I brewed this about 3 months ago.....it came out fantastic.

I brewed it again about a month ago, but substituted Patagonia Pale Malt which my LHBS had a few bags of. The owner said he had heard great things about it, but had yet to brew with it himself.

It's been in a keg now for 4 days, and I cannot wait to try it. I'll let you all know if the Patagonia lends anything different.

Any tastes yet???

That's weird. ..I guess three question marks in a row equals a lame emoticon??? Lol

Any tastes yet???

Yes! Came out very nice. It tastes "cleaner", or "crisper".....but that could be a variation in the fermentation from my previous batch.

I would also say that the Patagonia has more malt flavor. The color appears to be the same....I need to start taking pics to compare.

Brewing this right now for the first time.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1396575303.813257.jpg

The bad news is that I got terrible mash efficiency (BIAB). I was in a rush and I milled my grains with a faster speed than I usually do on my drill + corona mill. So my pre boil gravity was off by 5 points. I didn't have any DME to compensate so I rolled with it.

EDIT: Removed general brewing related questions, will start new thread. Thanks!

Yes! Came out very nice. It tastes "cleaner", or "crisper".....but that could be a variation in the fermentation from my previous batch.

I would also say that the Patagonia has more malt flavor. The color appears to be the same....I need to start taking pics to compare.

Nice! I may have to try that version next!

Made about ten batches of this recipe using grain bill! Love it! I have a imperial style going on right now on, OG 1.102! First beer this big! Using citra Amarillo and galena! Thanks Yoop!

1396725220313.jpg

Mine finished up 2 weeks ago. I have had a few pints and it is really nice. I will definitely make it again.

I finally tried this one today. I cut all the ingredients in half as I was doing a 2.5g batch. Wow.. was I off on my OG by a TON. I did this as a BIAB.. only my 2nd BIAB brew. I preheated the MT with 160* water and mashed in the 4.5# of grain with 165* adjusted water. Couldn't believe it.. Temp dropped to 145*.. So I pulled some weak wort and heated to 170*. I did this twice and got it to 154*. However, after 1 hour of mashing with 6.75 qts of water and sparging with 168* water and going thru my 1 hour boil, I only came up with a gravity of 1.032. This is the worst I've ever done.. by far. Worse yet, I cooled the wort before checking. So, I put it back into the BK and added enough DME to bring it up to 1.055.. just short of Yoopers OG. Part of my issue was I had FAR less boil off than I usually do. Change in BK and possibly not as vigorous a boil as usual. It's now in the fermenter. We'll see how it turns out.

Next time, I'm going to check my numbers the BIAB calculator before progressing. I only lost 3/4gal in this boil and usually have double that... argghhh. Nothing like a change in process.

The first time I did a BIAB, I used the calculator at BIAB and it came out perfect. Have NO idea why this one didn't . This made for a L O N G brew day.

I finally tried this one today. I cut all the ingredients in half as I was doing a 2.5g batch. Wow.. was I off on my OG by a TON. I did this as a BIAB.. only my 2nd BIAB brew. I preheated the MT with 160* water and mashed in the 4.5# of grain with 165* adjusted water. Couldn't believe it.. Temp dropped to 145*.. So I pulled some weak wort and heated to 170*. I did this twice and got it to 154*. However, after 1 hour of mashing with 6.75 qts of water and sparging with 168* water and going thru my 1 hour boil, I only came up with a gravity of 1.032. This is the worst I've ever done.. by far. Worse yet, I cooled the wort before checking. So, I put it back into the BK and added enough DME to bring it up to 1.055.. just short of Yoopers OG. Part of my issue was I had FAR less boil off than I usually do. Change in BK and possibly not as vigorous a boil as usual. It's now in the fermenter. We'll see how it turns out.

Next time, I'm going to check my numbers the BIAB calculator before progressing. I only lost 3/4gal in this boil and usually have double that... argghhh. Nothing like a change in process.

The first time I did a BIAB, I used the calculator at BIAB and it came out perfect. Have NO idea why this one didn't . This made for a L O N G brew day.

Next time, add some boiling water to the mash instead of taking out some of the wort and boiling it and adding it, as you denature the enzymes in the mash when you do that. By doing that twice, you denatured the enzymes needed for conversion. If you miss your temperature by alot, adding a little boiling water will not hurt.

Until you get your strike temperatures nailed down, have some boiling water on hand, and a few ice cubes. If you miss by just a couple of degrees, let it go- but if you miss by alot use an ice cube or two to cool (if you miss high) or a quart of boiling water (if you miss low). It took me a few batches to get to where I can predict my temperature easily now, and it will come for you as well.

Whats the consensus on aging?. From primary straight to the keg? Let it naturally carb? Purge it and leave it for awhile?

Ive only bottled this one, but i feel like as soon as its done it should be ready to keg. Ill keg the next batch i do as ive expanded my kegging operation.

Ive only bottled this one, but i feel like as soon as its done it should be ready to keg. Ill keg the next batch i do as ive expanded my kegging operation.
Good enough for me. I just placed it in the kegerator at 10 psi. This is my first AG and the FG sample was excellent. I dropped the ball on the last dry hop addition so I only dry hopped overnight. Still had that nice faint bite at the nose. The color of this brew is amazing in primary. Thanks for the advice.

Whats the consensus on aging?. From primary straight to the keg? Let it naturally carb? Purge it and leave it for awhile?

I haven't tested multiple versions, but the one batch I did was primary for 2 weeks then dry hopped in keg and drank at 3 weeks old...was in a rush to have it ready for that weekend and although I know it would have tasted better if let to sit for longer, it still tasted awesome...my neighbor thought it was my best beer yet.

Excited to brew this up tomorrow. Read nearly all the posts, I think I'm going to stick with Yooper's exact original recipe. I've brewed her Lakefront IPA clone twice, it's amazing. I am doing a 2.5 gallon version of this, and when I scaled in BS I'm a little confused on the mash. I selected "Single infusion, medium body, batch sparge". BS gave me a temp other than 154 so I changed it to 154. Now it's telling me to Batch Sparge in 2 steps with .57 gallons and 1.57 gallons. It usually tells me to "drain the mash tun" first, then gives me 2 equal sparge amounts (which I thought was important for batch sparging). Does this seem odd to anyone?

There's a checkbox in the Mash profile which says "Use equal size batches" for batch sparging. Whether you use equal, unequal or single batch sparges is something for another debate, however, and one that you will find if you do some searches....

would this beer be good if i used:

1oz Summit FWH
1oz Amarillo @ 20 min
1oz Cascade @ 5 min
1oz Cascade dry hop

that's what i have on hand

would this beer be good if i used:

1oz Summit FWH
1oz Amarillo @ 20 min
1oz Cascade @ 5 min
1oz Cascade dry hop

that's what i have on hand

I'm not a huge summit fan, but if you like it it would be great. I'd double check the AAUs, though, as the last summit I had was very high AAUs. You want to keep the IBUs about the same as in the original, for balance.

OOH, yeah.. lol

alpha on the Summit is 17.9%

yikes

i'm going with
1 oz cascade fwh
.5 oz amarillo 20 min
.5 oz amarillo 10 min
.5 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz cascade flame out
1 oz cascade dry hop, after fg

cascade im using are 9.7 aau and amarillo is 8.8 aau
does this look good to you, Yooper?

OOH, yeah.. lol

alpha on the Summit is 17.9%

yikes

i'm going with
1 oz cascade fwh
.5 oz amarillo 20 min
.5 oz amarillo 10 min
.5 oz cascade 5 min
.5 oz cascade flame out
1 oz cascade dry hop, after fg

cascade im using are 9.7 aau and amarillo is 8.8 aau
does this look good to you, Yooper?

Yes, I like it! I might cut the FWH down a bit, just because mine are normally 6% AAU or sometimes even less, and while you want enough bittering, you don't want to overbitter.

I'm brewing this beer tomorrow after trying fellow homebrewers, sompls, version. I got it in a home brew swap o rama and I really liked it. He used Chinook in place of cascade because I assume that's what he had on hand. I'm going to use cascade though because I have it hand and I like it a lot.

Just brewed this yesterday. I got an OG of 1.062 on mine. cant wait to try it.

Ok. Brewed this last weekend and completely messed it up. I used caravienne instead of vienna malt, doh! A big thanks to Yooper who was kind enough to talk me through it once I discovered what I did. It's fermenting nicely and I'm going to taste it tomorrow but I'm bummed that it won't be the Pale Ale I was looking forward to (more of an American Amber according to Yooper). Got myself the correct malt and now I'm going to brew this... correctly... tonight. Fingers crossed I don't mess this up twice.

update: i used centennial hops in place of cascade.
schedule was..
1 oz amarillo FWH
.5 centennial at 20 min
.5 centy at 10
.5 centy at 5
.5 centy at flame out.
mashed at 154 and ferment 8 days at 65, ferm temp (not ambient).
i just set it out to let it free rise to 73, as krausen has dropped. dry hopping next w/e with 1oz centennial.
i hope there is no negative results from letting it warm. thoughts?

Just ordered ingredients to brew this again, 1st time was huge success. Didn't change a thing from the Colonel's original recipe...will brew for the golf tourney me and my crew play each year June 21st.

its been 7 days and took a hydo reading and looks like FG is at 1.010. with OG of 1.062 im at 6.83% abv.

Tasted the sample and was very good. gonna give it a few more days before i dry hop.

Just thought I would through my hat in the ring I brewed 10 gallons this Sat. 5 has mangrove jack work horse and 5 with mangrove jack west coast.

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

FnA....brewed it tonight for second time. Hit 1.056 OG last batch, did nothing different this time (PM with crystal and german munich and viennna as grains, and rest was 3lb LME and 0.65 lb DME) and OG was only 1.053. I stirred real well and took multiple reads...sure it will still be great but this is a wake up call for a dang refractometer....ugh.

I'm gonna brew this Wednesday with the following hop bill

1oz centennial 60min
.5oz ea. galaxy and ff 7c's @ 20,10,5 and FO

Dry hop with 1oz ea galaxy and ff 7c's for 4-7 days.

Any thoughts. It'll b my second all grain batch so I'm new to figuring out these hop bills.

Just racked 10 gallons of this 5 on mangrove jacks west coast ale yeast and 5 on mangrove jacks work horse. This is my first time using 2 different yeasts on the same batch. They taste very different I cant wait until tasting the final product.

Thank you Yooper

I'm not sure if my the flavors in my beer are off or complex 😳

Back