Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Coldwater 420 - Special Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #71
brian70457
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
Coldwater 420 - Special Pale Ale

This was originally supposed to be a clone of Sweetwater Brewery's 420 Extra Special Pale Ale, however I think my version comes out a lot better and tastier. I chose the name "Coldwater" because the city tap water where I live comes from the Coldwater aquifer ( Coldwater Alabama ) which supplies much of the name brand bottled water that you buy at the store if you live around the South - very tasty spring water, and also as you can see Coldwater sounds kind of like Sweetwater...

This is a really great beer, if you like Sweetwater 420 then I think this would be a beer that you'd really enjoy. Its not an exact clone, for one thing I think my version ends up with a little more alcohol than the real Sweetwater 420 since beers in Georgia and Alabama are limited to 6% ABV, using promash I estimate mine ends up about 6.5% and I also think that the malt is more pronounced in my version.

Regardless, it makes an extremely tastey beer and its an easy recipe that you'll enjoy.

SG: 1.065
FG: 1.012
Color SRM - 7.0
Bitterness: 45 IBUs

Here is the Recipe:

Malts:
7 1/2 Pounds - Pale Malt American 2-row, ( 1.036 - 2L ) - 65.2%
1 1/2 Pounds - Light Munich Malt ( 1.033 - 10L ) - 13%
1 1/2 Pounds - Vienna Malt ( 1.035 - 4L ) - 13%
1/2 Pound - CaraAroma ( 1.036 - 25L ) - 4.3%
1/2 Pounds - Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt ( 1.033 2-L ) # .5 - 4.3%

Hops:
1 ounce Cascade ( 5.75% Alpha ) @ 60 minutes
1.5 ounce Cascade ( 5.75% Alpha ) @ 30 minutes
.5 ounce Cascade ( 5.75% Alpha ) @ 5 minutes

Yeast:
Fermentis Safale US-05

Heat 3.5-4 gallons of water to 165F, or hot enough to bring the mash to 153F. Mash at 153F for 80 minutes, then drain. Sparge with 4.5-5 gallons of water at 170F, to collect 7.5-8 gallons of wort.

Bring wort to a rolling boil and add the hops according to the schedule.

Chill wort to 70F and pitch 1 envelope US-05.

Ferment in Primary at 60-65F, for about 8 days or until gravity drops to 1.012. Rack to secondary and let it clear for another 7 days, or add 1 envelope of unflavored gelatin disolved in boiling water to the secondary and it will clear in about 2 days instead. Keg it or Bottle as usual, with 5 oz of priming sugar.

One thing to note, I make no attempt at all to strain the hops from the wort when going from the brew pot to the fermenter. I only try and filter the beer when I rack from the primary to the secondary and I rely on the gelatin in the secondary to clear the beer. So far, I'm very pleased with how clear it gets.
Apologies for being newb, if this a All-Grain recipe? It looks like an extract+steep recipe which is what I'm looking for.

Just making sure.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #72
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This is an all grain. You could probably convert the American 2 row to lme or dme. Not sure how much, but there is a conversion. It'll cost significantly more, and may be darker, but it can be done...

Old 09-24-2012, 01:52 AM   #73
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 1

It is all grain, but it wouldn't be hard to make it extract. In fact, the basic recipe that I started with was extract+grains, I just converted it to all grain and brewed it over a few times to get it right.

Old 09-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #74
brian70457
Recipes 

Do you have the extract+grain recipe?
I found another one on hopville which is different,
( http://hopville.com/recipe/637534 )
but I hear from y'all that this is a very good clone.

Just let me know, thanks for the responses.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 PM   #75
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey mutilated,
Thanks. This is excellent. My favorite homebrew so far! I dry hopped with a little less than an ounce of cascade. Very good, even though I cannot compare to original...

Old 09-25-2012, 01:40 PM   #76
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I have an extract / steeping grain recipe for this, that is extremely close. It's only darker in color, and it's because I didn't do late extract additions, could be lighter if I tried.

Turned out nicely. I'll post it when I get home this evening.

Old 10-13-2012, 10:42 PM   #77
PiratesBeardBrewery
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Despite doughing in a little hot resulting in more unfermentable sugars than I wanted, this turned out great. Mine came out darker than the original Sweetwater, but the maltiness is definitely there (which is the main quality that I was going for) and very well balanced just like Sweetwater. The head retention is phenomenal since I left the Carapils in there. Very happy with this recipe and I think this will become my house beer that I always have kegged.

Old 11-01-2012, 02:13 AM   #78
royale
Recipes 

I was being told that Sweetwater uses Wyeast 1098 for all their beers.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:20 AM   #79
jaynik
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This recipe sounds great. I'm going to modify the hop schedule to use up some hops that I have around.

.5 CTZ @ 60
1 Palisade @ 10
1 Calypso @ 0

I think it should be interesting. Thought about throwing in some cascade, but I like the idea of letting the palisade and calypso do their thing in this beer. Anyone with much experience from both have any recommendations? This grain bill sounds really good.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:27 AM   #80
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynik
This recipe sounds great. I'm going to modify the hop schedule to use up some hops that I have around.

.5 CTZ @ 60
1 Palisade @ 10
1 Calypso @ 0

I think it should be interesting. Thought about throwing in some cascade, but I like the idea of letting the palisade and calypso do their thing in this beer. Anyone with much experience from both have any recommendations? This grain bill sounds really good.
I made this beer, and will have to again. It is the best beer I have ever made. Make this!
But, to be honest I followed the OP recipe, except I dry hopped with a half ounce of cascade pellets. Gave it a very nice nose if I do say so myself. I have never used palisades or calypso, so I can't speak to your hops, but the grain bill wonderful. I can't imagine a well thought out hop combination not working with this.

Quick Reply