Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Coldwater 420 - Special Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #61
etcetrah
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

The method I was using recommended using 5.5 quarts for the 4 pounds of grain, or 1.375 quarts/pound. This fits nicely in a two gallon beverage cooler, which is what I use for my partial mash.

Have fun!

Always looking towards the next batch!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2012, 07:30 PM   #62
HenryKDuff
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutilated1 View Post
Not having the CaraAroma isn't anything to worry about - I think you really only need it if you make an extract version. If you make All-Grain it comes out better if you cut way back on the CaraAroma anyway.

Feel free to scale back the recipe some if you want to - if you're going for duplicating/cloning SweetWater 420 this recipe is a bit bigger so there is room to scale back.
If you scale back or eliminate the CaraAroma, should you replace it with an equal amount of another grain, or just eliminate it?

Old 06-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #63
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I'm brewing up an extract/steeped recipe of this today..

Has some Munich and 20L Carastan, and hopped with Cascade and Centennial, dry hopped with both of them as well. Using WY1056 as well.

Should come in around 1.052 and finish 1.014 for aroudn 5.2-ish ABV, which is reallll close to the real thing. 35 IBU's and 5.6 SRM.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:08 PM   #64
PiratesBeardBrewery
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryKDuff View Post
If you scale back or eliminate the CaraAroma, should you replace it with an equal amount of another grain, or just eliminate it?
I'm interested in the answer to this one too. I would assume that eliminating it would scale it back from being such a "big" beer in comparison to the original, and maybe also tone down the ABV a bit.

Also, how did the experiment turn out for those that used the Centennial/Cascade combo? I also read somewhere else that some people thought the original used Simcoe, has anyone tried that?

Old 08-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #65
RTPMedic
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The recipe says 80 and 60 minute boils. Which one is correct? Brewing this tonight.

Primary: Pale Ale, Cider
Bottled: Cream Ale, American Brown Ale
Planned: Huge, huge Imperial Stout

Old 09-09-2012, 05:32 AM   #66
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hi.
I have to first hand knowledge of the beer this is trying to clone, but it looked good and I brewed up a batch. Accidentally ended up with almost 6.5 gallons... Whoops!
Anyway...
My question is, has anyone dry hopped this at all? If so, just stick with the cascade?

Thanks!

Old 09-09-2012, 04:34 PM   #67
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I dry hopped with cascade and centennial.

Old 09-09-2012, 11:21 PM   #68
ggoodman
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i'll be brewing this next weekend already brewed my ten gallons for this weekend. I lived 4 hour south of sweetwater for 20 years. love the beer and love trying to clone it. we'll be headed back down south and haft to fly out of Atlanta. will for sure be stopping by the brewery. GG for Alaska

Fly Casters Brewing

"Aint nothing better than Fishing and Brewing Beer"

Old 09-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #69
PiratesBeardBrewery
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I have 6 gallons of this kegged up (little over a week ago) and waiting for a taste test...can't wait.

It came in a little low in OG (wasn't quite sure of my AG efficiency) and I think I let the mash get a little too hot (~158) so it was a little less attenuable and it finished off with a FG of 1.022. ABV is pretty low but pre-carbonated taste tests show that it has that malty finish that I was going for.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:57 AM   #70
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesBeardBrewery
I have 6 gallons of this kegged up (little over a week ago) and waiting for a taste test...can't wait.

It came in a little low in OG (wasn't quite sure of my AG efficiency) and I think I let the mash get a little too hot (~158) so it was a little less attenuable and it finished off with a FG of 1.022. ABV is pretty low but pre-carbonated taste tests show that it has that malty finish that I was going for.
Haha,
I had the opposite problem. I think I mashed to low. My favorite digital thermometer broke and all my others showed different temps from each other, so I kinda averaged it out. By my calculations....mine will be close to 7.5%!! But sample tastes good, so yeah me I guess!!

Quick Reply