Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Coldwater 420 - Special Pale Ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2009, 09:33 PM   #21
zanemoseley
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool, I didn't know if it required a fairly long conditioning period.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2009, 02:34 AM   #22
Jeffegale
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Im going to go buy the ingredients tomorrow from my local micro brewery/shop however it calls for Fermentis Safale US-05 what would be equivalent in yweast?

Old 02-28-2009, 03:10 PM   #23
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffegale View Post
Im going to go buy the ingredients tomorrow from my local micro brewery/shop however it calls for Fermentis Safale US-05 what would be equivalent in yweast?
1272 American Ale II would be a good choice most likely.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 AM   #24
talkingmonkey
Recipes 

Brewing a PM version, (kinda), right now. Thanks for the recipe. This is for an oyster roast. I think they're gonna like it! 1st real PM, never going back to all extract.

'Cause Everybody loves a Talking Monkey!

Old 03-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #25
volntitan
Recipes 

New brewer here...

My dad and I are new brewers and looking to do batch #3. The first was a kit beer and the second was a FAt Tire clone from recipe book. We really haven't had folks try our stuff until we could get one that was more universally acceptable to ordinary beer drinkers. First batch was ok. Second batch turned out well, but little heavy for the "Bud Light" crowd of friends. I had a Sweetwater 420 and really liked it so went looking for a recipe.

Is this a pretty "error free" beer for someone like us or should I look to a more simple one? Again, just started so really not up on all the terms just yet. We do keg if that makes any difference.

Thanks folks. This hobby has really brought my retired father and I even closer. Best thing we have ever done.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #26
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just tapped the keg of my first attempt at this recipe. My mash was way off was i wasn't expecting it to be close to the real deal.

It definitely has some heat from the alcohol since i ended up at 1.005 from mashing so low. That puts its about 6.75% ABV which is way off from the real deal, but it is still a tasty brew.

I'll be brewing this again soon.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 03-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #27
Mutilated1
Beer Drenched Executioner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

A buddy of mine tried this recipe and he used Galena for bittering and Cascade for the finishing. I must say his turned out better than mine did.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:59 PM   #28
Chello
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I have just decided since it came out closer to a "big" beer for me, i am going to take half the batch and oak it. I'v been wanting to oak something and this should do just fine.

"Retail is for suckers."

Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 PM   #29
zanemoseley
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a PM batch that is identical to the AG but I subbed in 3lb of extra light DME in place of 5lb of the base grain, I also left out the CaraAroma. My efficiency was only 67% using Deathbrewer's stovetop PM, my OG was 1.052 and ended at 1.010.

I tapped the keg almost exactily a month after brew day and this stuff is tasty!! I love sweetwater and this is up there with it if not better. I may have to pay $9 for a sixer of 420 to compare this weekend. At $9 for six I can't afford to drink it all the time so being able to brew a substitute rocks.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:57 AM   #30
Austin_
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I am reporting back as to how it turned out using the San Fran Lager yeast. I really like it. It taste like a pale ale but is different enough to be refreshing. Not to mention your recipe has a little more kick than a normal pale ale. I have only had a couple pints out of the keg and tomorrow I'm taking it with me to a crawfish boil. I'll make note of their comments and report back. I have a feeling they will enjoy it as much as I do.

I was back home in Nashville a couple weeks back and had a chance to try the original. It was about the 4th of the night and my taste buds were already a little dull, but I enjoyed it. You going to the Magic City Brewfest? My sister, who lives in Montgomery, and I are going to be there.

Quick Reply