Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - citra/simcoe/amarillo session pale ale

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
Gritsak
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Default All-Grain - citra/simcoe/amarillo session pale ale

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: no
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.5
Original Gravity: 1.034
Final Gravity: 1.009
IBU: 38
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 8.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 12
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 8
Tasting Notes: Lots of tropical and citrus fruit flavor/aroma with mild bitterness. VERY drinkable.

Getting a little sick of brewing up 6%+ beers and only being able to drink 1 or 2 a night. I had a lot of good hops in the fridge and i wanted to brew up something i could drink several glasses of a night without having to worry about feeling like crap in the morning.

Grain bill:
4 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 59.5 %
2 lbs Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 26.5 %
8.0 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.6 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.6 %
1.0 oz Roasted Barley (500.0 SRM) Grain 5 0.8 %

Hops:
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.75 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.75 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Citra [13.60 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.00 oz Simcoe [12.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min
0.85 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
0.75 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days
0.20 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days

Yeast:
1.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05)

77% efficiency with a no-sparge mashing technique (mashed with ~9.5g of water). Mash at 152. The no-sparge is a potentially important step as most sources suggest you get more malt flavor doing this vs. sparging.

Chilled wort to 61 and pitched yeast. Allowed beer to free-rise to about 65-66 then turn on temp control. After 10 or so days in primary, transfered to secondary and added dry hops. Let it sit at room temp (68) for 6 days. If you have the means, rouse the hops with c02 after 3 days. Slowly cold crash for a couple days then rack to keg and enjoy!

Ended up at 3.3% ABV. Extremely drinkable and very tasty. The wheat gives it great head retention, as can be seen by the pics. Aromatic and crystal malts add just enough flavor to make it seem like you're drinking a normal strength beer.

I brew lots of beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 01:39 AM   #2
cg17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Ive been wanting to play around with citra and amarillo hops. I'm gonna give this one a go

Bottled: Rogue Mocha Porter clone, Belgian Wit, West Coast Pale, Harpoon Summer Ale
On Deck: Citra Pale

Old 03-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Gritsak
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg17 View Post
Ive been wanting to play around with citra and amarillo hops. I'm gonna give this one a go
You won't be disappointed, it's a great beer.

BTW, the dryhop amounts were just what i had leftover- they can obviously be adjusted to whatever. I originally planned to do .75oz of each 3 hops until i realized i was short.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 03-22-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
tugbucket
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 23

3.3%? That's a Colorado Session Ale

I have the ingredients coming in for a Session Pale Ale as well. Pretty similar in style.

4lbs Munich Malt
4lbs 2-row pale
8oz Flaked Wheat

All Cascade in a 20, 15, 10, 5 additions. I will have some Williamette and Styrian Goldings left over from this weekend that I'll dump in for dry hopping.

My SRM is looking like 6. I might have to scrounge up some scrap grain to try and get the beautiful color yours has.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:40 PM   #5
Gritsak
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tugbucket View Post
3.3%? That's a Colorado Session Ale

I have the ingredients coming in for a Session Pale Ale as well. Pretty similar in style.

4lbs Munich Malt
4lbs 2-row pale
8oz Flaked Wheat

All Cascade in a 20, 15, 10, 5 additions. I will have some Williamette and Styrian Goldings left over from this weekend that I'll dump in for dry hopping.

My SRM is looking like 6. I might have to scrounge up some scrap grain to try and get the beautiful color yours has.
That sounds pretty good. You should get some nice flavor from using munich as a base malt. The hop aroma is starting to fade on mine (been on tap about 3-4 weeks), but the flavor itself is really starting to shine.

I brew lots of beer.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:21 AM   #6
IPAle
Recipes 

I brewed this beer twice this summer and loved it, so did everyone who tried it! I lieve in souther california and it was a great session beer to have during the hot days we had in here. Thanks for posting the recipe.
I'm planning on brewing it again but this time I wanna experiment something I've never brewed before. I just bought a bunch of serrano peepers and I think this beer will be perfect for it.
I'm thinking about adding 7 to 10 serranos during the boil, and depending on how it turns out, adding 5 or so more during secondary... I've been trying some really good spicy beers and decided to give this a try. Any thoughts??

Cheers!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
lehr
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IPAle View Post
I brewed this beer twice this summer and loved it, so did everyone who tried it! I lieve in souther california and it was a great session beer to have during the hot days we had in here. Thanks for posting the recipe.
I'm planning on brewing it again but this time I wanna experiment something I've never brewed before. I just bought a bunch of serrano peepers and I think this beer will be perfect for it.
I'm thinking about adding 7 to 10 serranos during the boil, and depending on how it turns out, adding 5 or so more during secondary... I've been trying some really good spicy beers and decided to give this a try. Any thoughts??

Cheers!
Try slicing a pepper in half and putting it in a pint of this beer if you already have some made, let it sit for a bit and then try it you will be supprised how much pepper flavor it picks up, that should give an idea of what it will taste like....IMO I dont think pepper beers are a very good session beer.

Btw this looks like a good recipe !

Pat

Old 10-03-2012, 02:25 AM   #8
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

This looks pretty fun, im gonna try it out! I have a red ale that i came up with that ends up around 4% and tastes like ur drinking a big beer, awesome for those days you just wanna drink all day!

Old 10-03-2012, 02:42 AM   #9
inhousebrew
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I'm also playing around with the idea of a low gravity hoppy pale ale. Personally, I'm shooting for 4-4.5% ABV with a bitterness ratio of about .75. Right now I've got a pretty basic recipe with cascade and galaxy hops. This looks great too though, bet you can pound a bunch of them.

I hate Walder Frey...

Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 AM   #10
DagoBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

So i am gonna try the no sparge method just because i never have and it seems kinda cool... Can anyone tell me why exactly this method brings out more malty character than a regular sparge brew?? Thanks!!

Quick Reply