Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #71
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Hope it turns out well. I updated my changes in the original recipe I posted. I'm going to rebrew this soon and have it on tap for the spring to roll around.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 04:27 PM   #72
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 122 Posts
Likes Given: 416

I always chuckle at some of the posts in a "clone" thread. Im not trying to hate, but the purpose of the OP is to share a clone recipe of an existing beer. Its purpose is not to tweak, modify, change, revise, or alter the recipe. The purpose is not to give advice on how other combinations of ingredients would work LOL. It just makes me laugh sometimes. OK Im done being an a**

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 02-06-2013, 01:10 AM   #73
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
I always chuckle at some of the posts in a "clone" thread. Im not trying to hate, but the purpose of the OP is to share a clone recipe of an existing beer. Its purpose is not to tweak, modify, change, revise, or alter the recipe. The purpose is not to give advice on how other combinations of ingredients would work LOL. It just makes me laugh sometimes. OK Im done being an a**

I agree to a degree, but I think the great thing about brewing is the core point that you can change it so YOU like it.

But you are right. This is a direct clone of OS Citra Pale Ale, and changing obviously isn't going to make the intended beer. It'll surely make a great beer if you change the hop schedule around, but it's not the clone that you came looking for.

Oh yeah.. speaking of the beer.

Enjoying the above mentioned beer right now.. Oh so tasty, it's really good, but I'm pretty sure there are only about 2-3 more pulls of this from the keg! Need to do a double brew day this weekend now that I'm moved into my new pad.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 02-06-2013, 11:47 AM   #74
kodyind
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default dry hop question

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Here's a really close clone of the Citra Pale Ale from Oddsides, in Grand Haven, Michigan. Very close to what I remember it tasting like.

It's a fantastically, easy drinking, ultra flavorful Pale Ale. These guys make one of the best Pale's I've ever had, and the Brewer, and the Brewery are TOP NOTCH. The Headbrewer gave me some "direction" in designing/guessing the recipe, and it helped me greatly. I believe this one is very close to the original, and if anything makes a fantastic, easy drinking beer that is good to the last drop!

Mash @ 152* for 60 minutes.

11 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 88.0 %
12.0 oz Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 2 6.0 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %
0.40 oz Citra [13.40 %] - First Wort 60.0 min Hop 5 18.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 10.7 IBUs
0.28 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 7 -
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 8 7.8 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 9 4.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 10 0.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.40 %] - Flameout 0.0 min Hop 11 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/Fermentis #US-05) [50.28 ml] Yeast 12 -
1.10 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10 min) Other 13 -
2.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs

Ferment it out cool, around 66-67*F.

It's a great tasting, balanced, and fruity Pale Ale. If you hate Citra, you are in the wrong place. The wheat is what gives this beer the slightly creamier, heavier mouthfeel that makes you love it. The lacing and head on the beer are perfect. So refreshing!

I am new to brewing and i am still bottling my beer, my question is how do i dry hop. i have never done it

thanks
jim

Old 02-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #75
MoeIPA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
I agree to a degree, but I think the great thing about brewing is the core point that you can change it so YOU like it.

But you are right. This is a direct clone of OS Citra Pale Ale, and changing obviously isn't going to make the intended beer. It'll surely make a great beer if you change the hop schedule around, but it's not the clone that you came looking for.

Oh yeah.. speaking of the beer.

Enjoying the above mentioned beer right now.. Oh so tasty, it's really good, but I'm pretty sure there are only about 2-3 more pulls of this from the keg! Need to do a double brew day this weekend now that I'm moved into my new pad.

I agree that the OP is for the clone, but some of us that change the recipe around to get a different flavor shouldnt be called out. It just adds our .02 instead of creating a new thread as " OS Citra Pale ale with a different hop schedule " perhaps someone who likes hops, like me, would love this beer more with a slightly modified hop schedule. I'm glad i read a post on here that said to add more at the 60 and double the 15 and 10 as it made the beer more enjoyable for me. I'm happy i did that rather than brewing a 5 gallon batch that had a slightly less hop character than what i remembered that the OS Citra pale ale had whtn i tried it 2 months ago..

great beer by the way and look forward to taking this recipe and modifying it a little more to play with the flavors. Like dry hop with citra and pasturized pineapple.
Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

Old 02-06-2013, 06:57 PM   #76
MoeIPA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodyind View Post
I am new to brewing and i am still bottling my beer, my question is how do i dry hop. i have never done it

thanks
jim
dry hopping is adding additional hops after the primary fermentation is complete. I like to transfer my beer from the fermenter to a glass carboy to dry hop my beer from anywhere from 7 - 10 days. Dry hopping doesnt add to the bitterness of the beer, it adds to the aroma.

Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

Old 02-08-2013, 05:34 PM   #77
sherma
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

How do you think this would be if you eliminated the FWH and only did the hop bursting?

Old 02-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #78
mkringii
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meevoo View Post
How do you think this would be if you eliminated the FWH and only did the hop bursting?
Would lose 3/4 of the bitterness.. jus wouldnt be balanced i would think

Tap 1: Octoberfest
Tap 2: English Barleywine
Tap 3: Cider
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: EMPTY
Tap 6: EMPTY

Bottled: EMPTY

Kegged: Honey Cream Ale, English Barleywine, Grand Rapids Brown, BBA Vanilla Milk Stout

Fermenting: Vanilla Black Molasses Rum Grand Rapids Brown

Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 PM   #79
sherma
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I guess I ask because I am planning to make this. I found this which is based on AleSmith Evil Dead Red and doesn't add any hops until the last 20 minutes of a 90 minute boil. It also mashes at 154, which should produce a lot of sweetness, but this beer only has 24 IBU. I would think it be unbalanced as well, but people rave over the Evil Dead Red.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:24 PM   #80
mkringii
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by meevoo View Post
I guess I ask because I am planning to make this. I found this which is based on AleSmith Evil Dead Red and doesn't add any hops until the last 20 minutes of a 90 minute boil. It also mashes at 154, which should produce a lot of sweetness, but this beer only has 24 IBU. I would think it be unbalanced as well, but people rave over the Evil Dead Red.
.. cant really compare a beer with 23 ibus to a completly different beer with 60ibus.. plus red ale vs apa completly different

Tap 1: Octoberfest
Tap 2: English Barleywine
Tap 3: Cider
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: EMPTY
Tap 6: EMPTY

Bottled: EMPTY

Kegged: Honey Cream Ale, English Barleywine, Grand Rapids Brown, BBA Vanilla Milk Stout

Fermenting: Vanilla Black Molasses Rum Grand Rapids Brown

Quick Reply