Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 11:15 PM   #61
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

Thanks for the reply! I have a bunch of saved 05 that I was planning to use. I want to enter this into the local homebrew comp this spring. Hope you dont mind me stealing it! It will need to be clear-ish so I dont lose any points.

I have been going to Grand Haven for YEARS and have never checked out Oddsides. WTF! Will be a regular there this summer. I hear they fill growlers and let you "bring your own food" is that correct?

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:02 AM   #62
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

It will clear, no worries. I have some pretty clear stuff here. Can see through the glass and see the logo on the other side easily.

If you haven't had Oddsides, you are missing something. I'm from GA, and had it while up there for work. It's super good stuff there. Their Citra Pale Ale is widely loved, amongst places like BeerAdvocate and such. It's a good, good easy drinking beer that showcases a good hop.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-31-2013, 12:25 AM   #63
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 417

If those BA snobs like it, it must be the real deal

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen
FATC1TY Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 02:10 PM   #64
MoeIPA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

hey fatc1ty, just tried mine last night, been in the keg for 10 days and it doesnt seen to have much body to it.. I know it's a PA, but it's a little on the watery side with a great hop smell and initial taste. I had it in primary for 10 days, secondary for 10 days and now in the fridge on gas for 10 days.. How long before you felt the beer fully " matured " ?

Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

Old 01-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #65
Rossputin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
If you want to make a good pale, Centennial and Chinook would work nicely. It won't taste anything like this beer, but it will make a very good beer anyways.
Thanks man!
Last question(s) about water; how much did you mash with and what was your pre-boil volume?

Welcome to the bottom of my post.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #66
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeIPA View Post
hey fatc1ty, just tried mine last night, been in the keg for 10 days and it doesnt seen to have much body to it.. I know it's a PA, but it's a little on the watery side with a great hop smell and initial taste. I had it in primary for 10 days, secondary for 10 days and now in the fridge on gas for 10 days.. How long before you felt the beer fully " matured " ?
It's gonna be light bodied for sure. I felt that after 2.5 weeks in the keg, it really hit the sweetspot. I think you are only a few days off. What volumes are you carbing to?

What was your finished gravity? This beer needs to finish around 1.012 or 1.013. I mashed at 152*, and felt that I easily could have done 154 and not get it too heavy.

I set mine to 10psi and leave it.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-31-2013, 11:22 PM   #67
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossputin View Post
Thanks man!
Last question(s) about water; how much did you mash with and what was your pre-boil volume?
I mashed in with around 4.8 gallons of water, and mashed at 152*. Sparge with just shy of 5 gal. Preboil is normally around 7.25 gallons to get to my 5.5 gal in the fermenter.

Your volumes may vary, along with kettle size, and boil off rate.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 02-01-2013, 01:17 AM   #68
MoeIPA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY

I mashed in with around 4.8 gallons of water, and mashed at 152*. Sparge with just shy of 5 gal. Preboil is normally around 7.25 gallons to get to my 5.5 gal in the fermenter.

Your volumes may vary, along with kettle size, and boil off rate.
I have mine set at 10 psi for 10 days in a 38 degree fridge.. FG was about 1.013 also mashed about 152 - 154 5.5 gallon boil
Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

Old 02-01-2013, 12:39 PM   #69
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeIPA View Post
I have mine set at 10 psi for 10 days in a 38 degree fridge.. FG was about 1.013 also mashed about 152 - 154 5.5 gallon boil
Give it another week, and see then. I felt this beer was "ready" to drink taste wise after a week on the gas myself. I thought it really hit the high point a week or two after that in the keg. It cleared out, and the aroma and flavor really got concentrated and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Body wise, mine felt just like the original from what I could remember. If it's not where you want it, then perhaps the beer might be too light bodied for your tastes. Could attempt to mash higher next time, and alter the recipe to give you a fuller body. I tend to like my Pales and IPA's on the light to light-medium body myself, so this fit the bill.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM   #70
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Just bottled this on Saturday. I followed the recipe quite closely, but as I mentioned, accidentally only bought 5 oz of Citra and so had to eliminate the 1min and end-of-boil additions. I also used White Labs WLP001. The flat beer tasted delicious, and the aroma was amazing. I also really liked the body the wheat gave it. I will hold off on a full evaluation until I have some carbonated, but I think some more flavor additions would have been useful--though of course, I already under did it relative to the recipe myself!

Quick Reply