Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #51
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Good to hear!

Did you brew the recipe I posted, or take a stab at it on your own?

I agree that I myself, would have liked a little more hop flavor, which is why I too think that it would be closer if I added some from the flame out and whirlpool/stand addition and put them in around 10-7 minutes. I'd have to tinker with it to keep the IBU's and the balance there, but I think it'll be easy enough.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 03:39 AM   #52
Japanda
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Brewed this on Saturday, can't wait to try it! Pretty much stuck to the original recipe you posted but bumped up the 10 addition to 1 oz.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:38 PM   #53
MoeIPA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i did .50 oz at FW 60min and did 1 oz at each 10 and 5 min point.

Smells fantastic and it's currently carbing for superbowl sunday.. I'll post pics sunday/monday.

Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 PM   #54
Rossputin
Recipes 

Hello from Canada (New Westminster BC specifically)!
We're going to brew your recipe this Sunday. We've been looking for a slightly more hoppy Pale Ale to make and this seems to fit the bill exactly. I've never tried the 'Oddsides' original.
However, I haven't been able to find Citra hops at local homebrewing suppliers. So my choices are:
1. substitute Willamette for Citra at $X and hope for the best.
2. substitute Centennial for Citra (free in my freezer) and hope for the best.

Both these choices will obviously affect the final product & therefore be different than this clone. I'm just looking for some opinion to make the best of my situation. Cheers!

Old 01-30-2013, 09:49 PM   #55
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossputin View Post
We're going to brew your recipe this Sunday. We've been looking for a slightly more hoppy Pale Ale to make and this seems to fit the bill exactly. I've never tried the 'Oddsides' original.
However, I haven't been able to find Citra hops at local homebrewing suppliers. So my choices are:

Both these choices will obviously affect the final product & therefore be different than this clone. I'm just looking for some opinion to make the best of my situation. Cheers!
Sorry to say there is NO sub for citra.. but if u wanna follow this recipe and sub hops i would suggest belma and cascade williamette is to low and clean to really see any benefits of hop bursting.. and i think centinnal would be to resiny/floral.. not enough fruit behind either of the two

Tap 1: Raspeberry Heffe
Tap 2: RyePa
Tap 3: Belcade Pale V 2.0
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: DIPA
Tap 6: Oddsides Citra Pale Ale Clone

Bottled: Berry Hard Cider

Kegged: Pliny Clone, Two Close IPA, Honey Cream Ale

Fermenting: Vanilla Cherry Porter

Old 01-30-2013, 10:26 PM   #56
davekippen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 411

How well does this clear up? I actually have not used wheat in a PA yet so I was wondering if it remains cloudy longer than a non wheat beer?

I think I am going to follow the OP recipe, with maybe the addition of a little Galaxy in there somewhere

Hit me on Untappd https://untappd.com/user/davekippen

Old 01-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #57
Rossputin
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii View Post
Sorry to say there is NO sub for citra.. but if u wanna follow this recipe and sub hops i would suggest belma and cascade williamette is to low and clean to really see any benefits of hop bursting.. and i think centinnal would be to resiny/floral.. not enough fruit behind either of the two
Thanks for the input. I can get my hands on some Chinook; would that be closer to Citra? Gonna have to talk to my LHBS about ordering more hops varieties and get some Citra for a future batch of this.

Welcome to the bottom of my post.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #58
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:

No real sub for Citra, but if you want to use the grist I have, it'll work fantastic for a simple Pale. Centennial would work great in a pale, willamette, ehh.. not so much, but it wouldn't be bad.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-30-2013, 11:11 PM   #59
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekippen View Post
How well does this clear up? I actually have not used wheat in a PA yet so I was wondering if it remains cloudy longer than a non wheat beer?

I think I am going to follow the OP recipe, with maybe the addition of a little Galaxy in there somewhere

It clear up nicely if you use a good flocc. yeast. I used US05, I think that or 1056 would work nicely.

Down the road, I'd try some 1272 perhaps to get even more of the citrusy notes, but I think a nice clean profile fits better.

BRY97 would work, but might take a bit to clear over US05. It does remain slightly cloudy longer, but if I had to guess... maybe a week longer? I like it slightly cloudy myself, but with the amount of wheat in there, you don't see it, but you feel it in your sip, and you see it in the head retention and lacing.

Someone else in the thread, did it with some Galaxy. I think it would be good, and if you didn't care to clone the original. I'd toss the Galaxy in with the Citra at 10min, and save some for dry hop myself. That would be good.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-30-2013, 11:12 PM   #60
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Thanks for the input. I can get my hands on some Chinook; would that be closer to Citra? Gonna have to talk to my LHBS about ordering more hops varieties and get some Citra for a future batch of this.
If you want to make a good pale, Centennial and Chinook would work nicely. It won't taste anything like this beer, but it will make a very good beer anyways.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Quick Reply