Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > All-Grain - Citra Pale Ale- Oddsides Clone

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 04:11 AM   #41
mkringii
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Location means nothing. There's plenty of ****ty brewers in the top 10 brewing cities, and plenty of amazing brewers in the bottom 10 brewing cities. Location has absolutely nothing to do with skill. The fact that you live in Grand Rapids is pure coincidence to the fact that it's a top brewing city... unless you moved there out of jealousy of famous brewers, in which case you likely have a problem.

OP, this recipe sounds remarkably like Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, though a little ramped up. I'm looking to order hops for now until the fall harvest and I'm pretty interested in your recipe. How would you say it compares to Knee Deep's Citra Extra Pale Ale, or if you haven't tried it, where can I send a bottle for your opinion?
IDK the purpose your digs in my direction, everything i stated was an annoyed remark to sjohnv3 because of the constant arguing when hes never had the original and probably never made this recipe.. he had nothing to do with the recipe nor any useful input, but felt the need to continue to annoy us. My response was to prove a point that just cause he has a few local breweries dosent make him an expert on a product hes never had.. and i know there are plenty of good breweries that make good/bad beer and vice versa and same goes for other cities.. and i sure as hell wasnt claiming to be an expert just because where i live (though it does help very strong brewing community) he sure as hell made it seem that way in his last post that pushed me over the edge.. and working in the industry does give myself a little more insight in-regards to the breweries in my backyard(such as the original reason for this thread).

btw born and raised here

Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2013, 04:14 AM   #42
mkringii
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATC1TY View Post
Research my friend, it's for the children!! ( or children at heart... )

I'm planning on brewing this again in a couple of weeks when I get settled in at the new digs. I'm thinking about upping the 5 and 1 min additions. Shouldn't be enough to raise the IBU's past where they are in the original.

Oh, and I will update with a pic. This beer has cleared so well, it's like you don't even know their flaked wheat in the beer until you get a taste of it!
so i got ur pics compare and adjust let me know what you tweak im talking SWMBO into a pound of citra cuz she just had this and loved it... funny zombie dust was too much but this was perfect.

Tap 1: Honey Brown
Tap 2: American Barleywine
Tap 3: BBA Vanilla Chocolate Milk Stout
Tap 4: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 5: Sour Honey Brown
Tap 6: Centennial Blonde

Nitro
Tap 7: Honey Cream Ale
Tap 8: Imperial Pumpkin Pie Stout

Bottled: English Barleywine

Kegged:

Fermenting: Chocolate Oatmeal Stout, KBS Clone

Old 01-22-2013, 04:20 AM   #43
Evan_L
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Quote:
Originally Posted by masskrug View Post
Educate me. Why would you add two different crystal malts?

8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 3 4.0 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 2.0 %

This looks delicious
http://beerlovers.com/news-reference...crystal-malts/

here ya go.
Different levels give different flavor profiles, blending them gives you tons of control over the final product.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #44
thadius856

Recipes 

Liked 601 Times on 250 Posts
Likes Given: 155

Thanks for the clarification, OP. Think I might put this one on the list for a few months out. It's becoming a longer list than I expected. :S

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkringii View Post
IDK the purpose your digs in my direction, everything i stated was an annoyed remark to sjohnv3 because of the constant arguing when hes never had the original and probably never made this recipe.. he had nothing to do with the recipe nor any useful input, but felt the need to continue to annoy us. My response was to prove a point that just cause he has a few local breweries dosent make him an expert on a product hes never had.. and i know there are plenty of good breweries that make good/bad beer and vice versa and same goes for other cities..
Didn't bother read his. Was pretty obviously troll bait. Don't feed the trolls.

Quote:
and i sure as hell wasnt claiming to be an expert just because where i live (though it does help very strong brewing community) he sure as hell made it seem that way in his last post that pushed me over the edge.. and working in the industry does give myself a little more insight in-regards to the breweries in my backyard(such as the original reason for this thread).
Well, that's how it came across in text. My apologies for misreading.

Quote:
btw born and raised here
Cool?

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

Old 01-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #45
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
so i got ur pics compare and adjust let me know what you tweak im talking SWMBO into a pound of citra cuz she just had this and loved it... funny zombie dust was too much but this was perfect.
I'm not going to tweak it. The color and clarity are spot on from your pictures, and from what I remembered it to be.

I think my only change would be to add roughly another half ounce at 10 and 5, and maybe take back the 2 ounce at flame out to 1.5, as I felt it was lost a bit and could be used for dry hopping.

2oz min for dry hopping to get the blast you in the olfactory goodness of Citra is a must in this recipe.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #46
motorneuron
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 26

My brew buddy and I just brewed up a batch of this over the past weekend. We mistakenly bought only 5 oz of citra instead of 6, so we decided to eliminate the 1 min addition and reduce the flameout to 1 oz. That still leaves 2 oz for dry hopping, though, which I thought would be key. Very excited to try it. It's not quite a SMaSH, but since I'm still pretty new to all this, I am into single-hop beers at the moment to really get a sense of the differences.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #47
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Awesome, great to hear.

Yeah, it's not a smash because it's got crystal ( 2 kinds ) and wheat in it, but it's a single hop beer.

Let us know how your changes in the late hopping came out?

I'm planning on kicking back the flame out steep a bit, and adding more at 10 for flavor next time. It's on deck to rebrew, in hopes that spring will hurry up and come on.. It's good on a hot day, thats for sure.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-27-2013, 11:15 PM   #48
MoeIPA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Id add a little more in the beginning and a little less toward the end.. Maybe .75 oz at boil and drop a half off the flame out.

Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 AM   #49
FATC1TY
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoeIPA
Id add a little more in the beginning and a little less toward the end.. Maybe .75 oz at boil and drop a half off the flame out.
What would that fix that you feel us wrong about this clone ?

That would raise the ibus and reduce the aroma and flavor.

Keep in mind this is a clone. It's 41 ibus. That's the number I'm working with here. I felt it needed just a little more flavor and aroma. Personal preference I'm sure. It's a super close clone I think.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Old 01-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #50
MoeIPA
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 10

oh it is a great clone! I had it when i was up at Hop Cat a couple weeks ago in Grand Rapids.. I just felt that with the fantastic aroma, the beer itself lacked a little on the hop flavor.. I added a little more hops in the beginning and liked how it tasted.. Just personal taste

this is a fantastic recipe and just drips of pineapple smell, i'm going to try this recipe again and add about 3 pounts of pasturized pineapple to the secondary while dry hopping.

Bottled: Barrel aged vanilla stout

Quick Reply