American Pale Ale Citra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001 California Ale
Yeast Starter
2L starter
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
dry hop 7 days in primary after initial 14 days
Additional Fermentation
Cold crash 1 week prior to kegging
Tasting Notes
Peach and fresh orange, well balanced bitterness with malty backbone
Calculated at 77% efficiency.

Ingredients:

10.0 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
.5 lb American Vienna
.5 lb American Munich
.5 lb Crystal Malt 40°L

.5 oz Magnum (14.5%) - 60 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - 10.0 min
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 10.0 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - 1.0 min
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 1.0 min
.25 oz Citra (11.1%) - 0.0 min (added to whirlpool)
.25 oz Cascade (5.5%) - 0.0 min (added to whirlpool)
1.0 oz Citra (11.1%) - dry hop
1.0 oz Cascade (5.5%) - dry hop

Mash at 154 for 60 minutes. All pellet hops.

This one came out great. It's nice and bold with peachy and orange zest flavors, a big citrus hoppy aroma, and a nicely balanced bitterness. Dropped very clear after cold crashing and kegging (the picture doesnt depict the clarity properly, it's clear and bright in the glass).

img0428xl.jpg

Looks great, still new with a few AG batches under my belt. But I looove Citra Hops. Might be just what I was looking for. How are you dry hopping?

Dry hopped with loose pellets directly into the carboy after fermentation winds down. About a week on the dry hops. My tasting notes on this one indicate that the malt balance was a little low, if I were to do it again I would probably replace the Vienna with something like Victory or Biscuit to amp up the complexity a bit and give the beer a more malty backbone to stand up to the over-the-top tropical flavors from the Citras

I will be trying to brew this tomorrow evening. Im going to sub out magnum for galena, victory for Vienna, S-05 for WPL001, and scale the recipe down to 5.25 gallons.

Brewed this recipe yesterday. Substituted in a Belgium yeast to create a Citra-Belgique. Will followup in a month and let you know how it turned out.

I've been working up a citra brew in my head for the last couple weeks or so. This might just push me over the edge. Let me know how all of yours turn out

Cheers

Finally got around to brewing this a few weeks back. I was impatient (and all my taps were dry) so I kegged with the dry hops after 2 weeks and put it under CO2. MAN THIS BEER ROCKS! Some people might not like the unique mango/orange tast of citra hops but I love it. Missed my numbers a little bit and wound up with a 6.5% abv beer using S-04.

Brewed a GREAT citra pale recently... agree that citra needs a slight malt backbone. I used maris otter, delicious.

I've done a rye citra pale ale with American ale II yeast and honey during the primary. Super good beer! I only gave one 6 pack away since I drank it all myself lol. The am. II gave it a nice fruity backbone that attenuated lower to keep the malt taste there. Still one of my favs by far.

I brewed this one up a couple of weeks ago (dropped in the dry hops today.) My only deviations from the recipe are subbing Cenennials for Citras (my LHBS didn't have any), and Wyeast 1056 for WLP001. My hydrometer sample tasted awesome, can't wait to try it a couple of weeks from now when it is carbed.

I brewed something like this today, well this recipe was the inspiration. It was a partial mash recipe that I flew by the seat of my pants. I used safale-05 for the yeast. The hop additions were a little different as I used a whole ounce of citra and cascade in the boil. I also added about an ounce of dried orange peel seasoning from local grocery store that I bought for a double chocolate stout that I made as well. I'm really excited about this beer, never used citra before and it smelled awesome. I wanted to put it in some papers and smoke it. :drunk: Well, maybe not...

Done this recipe today on what was an extra smooth brew day. Didn't spill a drop and got done in what felt like record time!

I subbed biscuit for vienna and anthanum for cascade. Yeast was US-05

I'm only running at 69% eff tho so only 1.047 SG (6.6 gallons tho so not too disappointed.)

Just a quick query on the dry hopping. Its done for 7 days over the course of secondary fermentation, right?

This is in the kegerator as we speek with a week left of carbonation. Didn't plan it, but it is ready on superbowl sunday! Haha.

I'll let you know how it goes. I am excited to try it.

This beer is awesome. If I had an never ending supply of citra hops, this would be in stock all the time, no doubt about it.

Brewed today, with a few substitutions, nothing too big. Centennial/Amarillo for bittering because I had to use them up. S-05. I can't wait for it to be finished - I'll update on the result.

I'm going to brew this soon. Subbing some biscuit for the Vienna. I have both light and dark Munich. Which would you recommend for this particular brew? Can't wait to try this!

I just got the results of a competition that I entered with this beer. I scored a 38. Both judges stated that it was to thin and needed a bigger malt backbone. I did sub the victory for the Vienna. So I think next time I make this I may add more victory or biscuit.

I am adding this to my to-brew list. I just dry hopped a cascade/nugget pale ale with 1 oz citra 1 oz cascade and it is delicious!

I just got the results of a competition that I entered with this beer. I scored a 38. Both judges stated that it was to thin and needed a bigger malt backbone. I did sub the victory for the Vienna. So I think next time I make this I may add more victory or biscuit.

OK, thinking of using maris otter for the base then in hopes of upping the maltiness a bit.

brewed this guy up about a month ago with a slightly different hop schedule that upped the IBUs quite a bit.

brought 'er home over spring break and served to my family of BMC drinkers. this was the first beer of mine that any of my family members ever drank, and they absolutely loved it. thanks for sharing the recipe.

highly refreshing beer that i'd recommend serving on a warm day. the citra really comes out in this guy.

Just sampled the first bottle - super tasty and light. Ephemeral grapefruit combines nicely with the Cascades. I was worried that 2oz dry hops was going to be overwhelming, but it was spot on. I can see that maybe a little more malt might be desirable, though I'm very happy with it. Did not cold crash, and clarified remarkably.

So like a fool on the hill, I am dry hopping while cold crashing. Will this screw it up? Hope not I'm very excited about this one.

Nah you should be fine... How long are you planning on cold crashing? Dry hopping typically takes 1-2 weeks at cold temps to have any real effect. So if you are transferring in a couple days you might want to bring the hops with the rest of the beer. (Hopefully you used a hop bag?)

If not, just let it cold crash for at least a week. You'll have crystal clear beer and some nice hop aroma from the dry hopping.

I did a modified version of this a few weeks ago. I used MO for the base, swapped out the Vienna for biscuit, and did quarter ounce additions of cascade/Citra at 15 and 10 minutes. I did a half ounce of each at flameout. I skipped the dry hopping and used US-05. I had a little mishap with calculating my strike water volume, so I had a cool mash for a while. This one finished up at 1.008. I just pulled a sample from the fermenter this morning. Very well balanced. The fruity hop flavor comes through but doesn't overwhelm. The complexity of the malt is wonderful. Shame I'm not set-up for an extra keg in the fridge right now, so I have to bottle, which I don't have time for this weekend.

I brewed this yesterday using Maris Otter, a lb of munich, and the 8 oz of C40. Followed your hop schedule though, but will add another ounce of each hop at kegging time in addition to the dry hop. Any idea if simcoe would be a nice dry hop addition to citra/cascade? This should be ready for a July 7th party, thanks for the nice recipe OP!

Brewed this last night, but had to make a last minute change since I was short on 2-row.

7 lbs Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 51.9 %
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 29.6 %
1 lbs Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.4 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.4 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 6 3.7 %

Should be interesting.

Fired up this bad boy.... A citra belgian. Very fruity, but not over the top. A tad bitter 75IBU's ... But the sweet Belgian flavor compliments it well.

image-1984822671.jpg

Brewed this last night, but had to make a last minute change since I was short on 2-row.

7 lbs Vienna Malt (Weyermann) (3.0 SRM) Grain 2 51.9 %
4 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 29.6 %
1 lbs Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.4 %
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.4 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) Grain 6 3.7 %

Should be interesting.

This has come out very very excellent. I know exactly why everyone raves about Citra aroma... it's just heavenly. The flavor and aroma on this are just amazing. The Vienna gives a nice nutty, sweet malt backbone. Definitely an excellent beer.

citra_pale_ale.jpg

Back