Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 05:47 PM   #941
HopsMcMalty
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kolsch Yeast?

Has anyone tried this recipe with Kolsch yeast? I was originally planning to do a Kolsch so I ordered the Wyeast version but then I came across this recipe and decided to do the blonde instead since it sounds so good. I don't have Nottingham on hand though and I'm afraid to mess up the recipe if I choose a poor substitute.

So here are my yeast options:
A) use the new pack of kolsch yeast (WY2565),
B) wash and repitch some Pacman yeast I'm using for a Ranger IPA clone (I'm concerned about starting with a hoppy beer and dropping down to a smoother beer with the same yeast, although the IPA is the 1st generation),
C) use a new pack of Denny's Favorite 50 yeast,
D) try to revive and wash some WY1056 I used about 6 months ago that was harvested by just pouring some of the unwashed yeast cake into a sanitized White Labs vial and then sticking it in the fridge, or
E) Making the (somewhat long) drive to my LHBS and just picking up some Nottingham or S-05.

Thoughts?

Edit: I didn't want to leave anything to chance so I opted for E), driving to my LHBS. However, just as I arrived I was told they got an email 5 min earlier saying there was a Notty recall. Darn the luck. So I bought a pack of US-05 and did a split batch--half the standard Centennial Blonde recipe and half the same malt bill with a 60 min and 10 min Hallertau Mittelfruh hop schedule just to see the difference. What can I say, even though I'm a history teacher I have a tiny bit of science buff that bubbles up when I'm brewing. Both are bubbling away nicely at 62F. I'll post tasting notes when they're finished.

If you have a suggestion for something amazing to do with that Kolsch yeast still in my fridge, PM me!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #942
Verloc5150
Recipes 

Started this recipe yesterday. Cheap, nice easy boil, and it's going bonkers in primary as I speak. Threw in a little sweet orange peel just cause it seems like it'd go well with citrus. Definitely looking forward to the results. Thanks for the recipe BM!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #943
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 93 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Brewed this last weekend and fermentation stopped a couple days ago. I'll let it sit for a few more days and then crash cool by Wed/Thur and keg Sat/Sun.

I won't taste it until I take the FG reading next weekend. If I'm lucky, all these issues with Notty won't affect me. My fermentation took off within 12 hours and went fine, so hopefully no off flavors.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #944
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

Enjoying this today (as I have for the past 2 weeks or so). Man this beer just keeps clearing and clearing!

FYI...there was a LOT more head. By the time I poured this downstairs, ran it upstairs, and quited my 8 month old son, I was able to finally snap a pic.

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 08:29 PM   #945
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

...and so my buddy came over to watch some football. He was commenting how much he loved this beer. Then he asked "do you know how much you have left? Have you lifted the keg?". I said "No...have no idea.". I went to pour my next beer and poof..kicked!

Definitely doing an 11 gallong batch next week.

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #946
pkincaid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Kegging this on Tuesday, hit the FG for sometime now, but didn't have a keg to put it in, just tasted it again this afternoon. AMAZING. Thank you BierMuncher... This is the Haus Brew for sure!

EDIT: Kegged yesterday. 30 psi overnight, and just dropped it to 12 today to finish carbing for the rest of the week. Tasted a bit of it cold and boy howdy it's darn good! Anybody know if Munich will affect clarity? It's cloudy. *Looks up johnodons* Not nearly as clear as that.

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:RootbeerKegged ((Drinking))RootbeerUp Next: "Cream of Three Crops" Cream Ale, by BierMuncher

Old 10-22-2010, 06:12 PM   #947
ralphie
Recipes 

Don't know why but it took 2 full days before I got any action out of the fermenter but after that it looked as if it was working to make up for those days lost. I transfered to secondary and bottled. I know it was mentioned this one finished fast but I just let it sit a little longer at each stage and wow. I've only brewed a few batches at this point but this is one of my favorites for sure. What's great is I can share this with my friends that refuse to drink anything but a bud light and they are impressed. It's with beers like this that little by little we can save the people who know nothing more than a watery beer.

Old 10-22-2010, 10:28 PM   #948
Dgonza9
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Yeah, I brewed this last weekend and it hit final gravity in 2 days! I was fermenting under pressure, though. Need a fermenting chamber to crash cool.

Bourbon Barrel Duchesse De Bourgnone
Kegged:

Fermenting English Mild

on Deck: Lager?

Old 10-23-2010, 05:27 PM   #949
NuclearRich
Feedback Score: 8 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 97 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I brewed this close to a month ago. A few minor changes, but I am excited for how it turns out. That pic above is amazing and makes me thirsty.
I replaced the carapils with a lb of wheat and accidentally added a whole lb instead of a half of vienna. Shouldnt be a big deal. Where I expect the biggest diff is in the yeast, I used Wyeast1010 American Wheat (erroneously shipped to me, so gave it a whirl). Still should keep in like with the excellent summer profile as a crisp clean light beer. This is my first primary only. Will be an approximately 4week ferment once its done.

Also... It was fermenting in my stairwell which is not insulated, and temps were making their way down towards 40F. Took a gravity reading: 1.010. Moved it up to my kitchen (which stays around 62F). and a day later, its bubbling. lol... dunno how much is the CO2 in suspension being agitated out, but I think it will finish even drier in a week when I bottle.
Review to come in a week or two.

PS... maybe I can lager in my stairwell this fall/winter!

Kegged - Amber (homegrown hops)
Bottled - 30th birthday barleywine, caramel gingerbread quad, doppelbock dunkel, Mulberry wit, Caramel Quad/RUMCAKE, porter, Blueberry Blonde, Amber, Single Hop Pale Ale (exp 4190), A Conan Selfie
Primary - Lambic!, IPA

Cogito Ergo Doleo

"rdwhahb"

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudefromguam View Post
I thought that meant people were getting frustrated with their brews. Like- OH NO my beer is infected RHWAHAHRBLABLE!!!! OR- My beer pours all foamy RDWHAHBLARABBLE

Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 PM   #950
Captain_Bigelow
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourHopHead View Post
Took this recipe exactly and added:

2 Hot Red Chili's & 4 Med Red Chili's Secondary 1 week.

5 Anaheim Green Chili's from Walmart *Roasted on the grill & Split down the middle* added to secondary for 7 days.

Kegged and Carbed.

BOS in the 2010 NM Stair Fair Amateur!
I took 1 gallon of my batch and added chili's to it (divided above by a fifth due to batch size). It was really good. I gave out samples at my recent party and everyone loved it. It is unusual and not too hot at all. Just a nice bell pepper taste to the beer with a tingly aftertaste.

Quick Reply