Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #931
Paramecium
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Entered this int he Pacific Brewers Cup and it being my first all grain i am pretty pleased. Got two score cards and scored 31 and 36. Both felt it had a bit to much hop bitterness for the style and could use more malt flavor but overall I am happy. No bad marks for off flavors or anything so it seems I am doing something right. Next batch I may cut back on the early hops or maybe use Maris Otter for some or all of the 2 row.

Primary~ Empty

Secondary~ Mosaic IPA

Kegged~

Ransack Port Oak Aged RIS

Blood Orange Hefe

Bonne Nuit Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-29-2010, 01:56 PM   #932
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Just brewed my 3rd batch of this last weekend. Should be yummy

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 09-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #933
pkincaid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Wound up purchasing 50# of 2 row at the LHBS, but if this brew comes out the way everyone has been raving it will..... then I am most certainly not worried about the 43# I have left lol!

I put it into the fermenter over the weekend and the wort was SOOOOO YUMMY! It was a beautiful goldenrod color. I had to use Munich instead of cara-pils because my LHBS didn't have any. Next batch i'll make with cara-pils, but I'm sure it will still be delicious. I can't wait to get this puppy kegged and carbed. I'm gunna go with 30psi for 48 hours, and 12psi for 24, then 10 to condition and serve. What do you think?

P.S. Thanks for sharing this recipe! Made my house smell amazing!

Secondary 2: Empty
Bottled:RootbeerKegged ((Drinking))RootbeerUp Next: "Cream of Three Crops" Cream Ale, by BierMuncher

Old 10-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #934
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I will preface this post by saying that I am a dark/bitter beer drinker.

That being said...this beer is pure awesomeness!!! I just had my first full pint after 2.5 weeks in the fermenter and 3 days on force carb. I am in LOVE!!! So smooth...such a creamy head...so drinkable. The perfect summer ale. I especially love the hint of lemon.

Thank you BM for posting this recipe. I have already scheduled a 10 gallon batch of this in the very near future so I can be sure to keep this in the rotation.

Anyone who is on the fence...brew this beer!!!

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 10-03-2010, 06:51 PM   #935
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

So this has been in primary for 8 days and is at .004 now. Looks like its done but a bit cloudy still. Since I don't Secondary I was thinking about just kegging it and let it settle out in the keg. The cold crash in the keg should take care of the cloudiness.

UPDATE Decided to RDWHAHB. it's still in primary

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 10-04-2010, 07:40 AM   #936
yoshiie
Recipes 

Just brewed this last Saturday as my first AG. I had a hard time getting the mash temperature high enough (was down around 136F) so following the advice of a different thread, I drained some wort of and threw it on the stove to get it back up to temperature before adding it back and mashing 30mins longer... then found out that the temp. was fine, the themometer I was using was just crap. Magically, somehow I was able to hit the O.G on the nose at 1.040. Now it's fermenting away and smells great so far!

To pkincaid: I'm interested to hear your results with subbing Munich for the Cara-Pils. My HBS doesn't carry it either, so I subbed Pilsen myself.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #937
JonW
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Brewed this yesterday. 1.043 OG. Pitched at 9:00 PM last night and already having activity this morning.

This was a test brew for my new single tier Brutus style build. I had a few temp swings up/down, but overall I think it will turn out just fine.

Another great BierMuncher recipe!

Old 10-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #938
pkincaid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

fter todays bottle bomb accident, I am waiting for my kegs to put the blonde in. Do you think letting it sit in secondary for another week will be alright? It's already been in there for a week. :\

Bottled:RootbeerKegged ((Drinking))RootbeerUp Next: "Cream of Three Crops" Cream Ale, by BierMuncher

Old 10-06-2010, 11:30 PM   #939
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkincaid View Post
fter todays bottle bomb accident, I am waiting for my kegs to put the blonde in. Do you think letting it sit in secondary for another week will be alright? It's already been in there for a week. :\
Most definitely okay, even encouraged to a certain level. You'd be safe leaving it in secondary for a looooot longer.

In all actuality though, you don't need a secondary for this kind of beer (most beers, really.) From what I can gather you only had it in primary for 3-5 days... that is not nearly long enough. Myself (and many on here) leave every beer in the primary for a minimum of three weeks. This allows the yeast to "clean up" after themselves, if you will. There are many byproducts of fermentation that can create off-flavors... yeast can clean it up but the effects are seriously amplified if you let the beer sit on the yeast cake.

Don't believe all the myths and hype of autolysis. I've left a barleywine in primary for 3 months with no ill-effects.

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:55 PM   #940
pkincaid
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I left it in Primary for a week and a half and then moved it when my secondary was available. I was following BM's directions, but 4 days and it hadn't reached FG yet, so I left it. Thanks for answering though! Headed off to the LHBS in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno_eNVy_446 View Post
Most definitely okay, even encouraged to a certain level. You'd be safe leaving it in secondary for a looooot longer.

In all actuality though, you don't need a secondary for this kind of beer (most beers, really.) From what I can gather you only had it in primary for 3-5 days... that is not nearly long enough. Myself (and many on here) leave every beer in the primary for a minimum of three weeks. This allows the yeast to "clean up" after themselves, if you will. There are many byproducts of fermentation that can create off-flavors... yeast can clean it up but the effects are seriously amplified if you let the beer sit on the yeast cake.

Don't believe all the myths and hype of autolysis. I've left a barleywine in primary for 3 months with no ill-effects.

Quick Reply