Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2010, 05:37 PM   #861
WilliamstonBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtopher View Post
No hops for the first 15 min of the 60 min boil.

I used WLP001 yeast and the temperature spiked to 75C during a hot spell in Oregon so when i tasted my batch of this beer while racking to keg I have some banana flavors. Not sure if that was due to the high temperatures or not.
Thanks for the quick reply! It's boiling this very moment.

Using Notty I also had high temps (topped out at around 77!) even though I had the AC on in the house. No funky flavors though.

Follow-up question: what purpose is there in boiling with no hops? Does it just darken the beer (esp w/ extract) or is something else going on? My understanding is that the boiling is strictly for hops bittering.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2010, 06:23 PM   #862
adamtopher
Recipes 

Reducing DMS, coagulation of unwanted proteins, getting rid of other unwanted compounds, sterilization, etc...

More info at the below link, I'm by no means an expert, just know what I read:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Boiling_the_Wort

Old 07-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #863
jarod7736
Recipes 

I brewed the AG version of this (first time with all grain). It's been in the keg for about a week & a half. Is it supposed to have a strong "bread" smell & taste to it? I don't get much of any hoppyness, but I believe that's to be expected, but the bread bit throws me off some. Does it just need to age & will it mellow a bit?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #864
adamtopher
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarod7736 View Post
I brewed the AG version of this (first time with all grain). It's been in the keg for about a week & a half. Is it supposed to have a strong "bread" smell & taste to it? I don't get much of any hoppyness, but I believe that's to be expected, but the bread bit throws me off some. Does it just need to age & will it mellow a bit?
I didn't get a bread smell at all, i have almost no odor at all on my batch. it might clean up with some time but not sure, sounds strange. what yeast did you use?

Old 07-23-2010, 03:16 AM   #865
jarod7736
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamtopher View Post
I didn't get a bread smell at all, i have almost no odor at all on my batch. it might clean up with some time but not sure, sounds strange. what yeast did you use?
I used pacman (w/starter), fermented around 66-68F.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:17 AM   #866
Elshauno
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

How is it with the Pacman? Pacman isn't as clean of fermenting yeast as SA 05 or Nottinghams. It still should be good though

Last edited by Elshauno; 07-23-2010 at 03:19 AM.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:52 PM   #867
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I've made three batches of this brew. No hint of bread with any. Would be suspect of your yeast but thats just my guess.

Old 07-23-2010, 01:26 PM   #868
jarod7736
Recipes 

I was under the impression that Pacman was a very clean yeast, imparting little flavor of it's own. Hrm... maybe that's it though. Perhaps my "all-grain" stovetop method was flawed.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:29 PM   #869
neovox
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elshauno View Post
How is it with the Pacman? Pacman isn't as clean of fermenting yeast as SA 05 or Nottinghams. It still should be good though
I've done this brew with both pacman and with WLP001. Different batches, so I can't say the differences were only limited to the yeast strain, but I preferred the one fermented by WLP001. No bready result with the pacman as reported by the previous poster, but WLP001 fermented out with a crisper, more refined/finished flavor. Just my $.02.

BrewStreams - Homebrewing and Craft Beer News Aggregator

Old 07-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #870
Beavdowg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Kegged this a week ago. I wouldn't normally brew a beer this light as I'm a hop-head but my wife has a bbq party tomorrow and I wanted to brew something "for the masses", a beer that basically everyone would enjoy. I just tapped into the keg and I'm wishing I'd dry-hopped it just a tad. It's very simple in taste with virtually no craft beer aroma at all. At least in mine, there's just not a lot to it. I'd throw in some hops now but recently dry-hopped beer can taste kind of funky so I'm gonna wait until after the party and maybe put an ounce of Centennial or Amarillo in there. I did use an S-05 starter instead of the Notty because I had some washed.

Quick Reply