Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 04:03 PM   #851
jbair1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Sugar or DME at bottling

What do you think?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2010, 05:21 PM   #852
Sudz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbair1 View Post
What do you think?
Most folks use corn sugar unless there's a specific reason not to. DME works fine, is a tad slower to carbonate, and leaves a krausen ring around the top in the bottle.

I asked this same question a couple of years back. Never did receive a good reason for using DME which doesn't mean there isn't one I guess....

Old 07-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #853
jbair1
Recipes 

OK. Sugar it is. Thanks!

Old 07-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #854
adamtopher
Recipes 

yikes, i made this recipe but checked last night and the gravity was already at 1.004. i quickly racked the beer. it may have quickly dropped due to the high temperature in Oregon over past week.

anyways i'm hoping it still tastes good.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:05 AM   #855
Toecutter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Ok, so I kegged this today, it has fermented for 7 days. it's still air temp but i tried a sample and it seems ok, not very hoppy, and very light in color, almost light blond.Lots of hop and yeast residue on the upper walls of the brew bucket. so its in the kegerator, I'll chill it for a week and try another sample.

I'm a bit new to this, so I'm not sure what to expect. we had a warm spell this week, so I think the the wort temp exceeded 75 dg. I'm in the process of converting another mini fridge I had sitting around into a fermenting chamber, it will be much easier to control temp of the fermentation.

Any advice, opinions, or comments greatly appreciated

Old 07-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #856
MJDore
Recipes 

Just brewed my second 5 gal batch of this (partial mash) yesterday. The first batch was a vacation winner. Everyone in my family, including dyed in the wool BMC drinkers, liked it. And this was despite the fact that my mash was on the high side as it was the first partial mash I had ever tried. With the one yesterday, I had the temp under control right around 150 the entire time and my OG was spot on. Added a little bitter orange peel (not much...just a half oz), and some coriander seed that I had left over from a Sterling Gold batch so can't wait to see how it turns out.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #857
EricT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJDore View Post
Just brewed my second 5 gal batch of this (partial mash) yesterday. The first batch was a vacation winner. Everyone in my family, including dyed in the wool BMC drinkers, liked it. And this was despite the fact that my mash was on the high side as it was the first partial mash I had ever tried. With the one yesterday, I had the temp under control right around 150 the entire time and my OG was spot on. Added a little bitter orange peel (not much...just a half oz), and some coriander seed that I had left over from a Sterling Gold batch so can't wait to see how it turns out.
The adddition of Orange peel should be nice. I squeezed a lime ino mine one day while making some Carniasada Burrito's (in the mood for mexican) and it just sounded good. Glad I did, this beer taste fantastic with any kind of citrus in it.

QUOTE: "i wanna brew so bad ive got brewballs!" by Rycov

Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #858
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I brewed the extract version of this and it tastes excellent.....its just about all gone. The only thing I wish I could do is make it with a higher Alchol content.....I believe this ended up at around 4%.....I just kept drinking and drinking....

ANything wrong with adding more malt to it to boost the alcholo content (maybe up to 5%)? Can I do that without adjusting anything else...or should I modif the hop amounts or times?

ANy advise? Thanks!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #859
WilliamstonBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post

--- snip---

Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU

0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
I brewed this up a couple weeks ago and screwed up the first hops addition (added 1/2 oz centennial) so to compensate I shortened the boil time to 40 mins so it wasn't too hoppy. It turned out EXCELLENT. We plowed through the keg.

I am brewing again today and determined to brew an exact-to-recipe (though extract, but I am lazy) batch. Maybe this is some notation I am not familiar with, but the boil time says 60 mins but the first hops addition is added at a 45 minute boil.

Am I missing something? Is it a 45 minute boil or a 60 minute boil?

Old 07-19-2010, 05:32 PM   #860
adamtopher
Recipes 

No hops for the first 15 min of the 60 min boil.

I used WLP001 yeast and the temperature spiked to 75C during a hot spell in Oregon so when i tasted my batch of this beer while racking to keg I have some banana flavors. Not sure if that was due to the high temperatures or not.

Quick Reply