Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #731
mb2696
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I've just about kicked my 10gal batch of this and wanted to thank BM for sharing the recipe. A great value, and it even looks great... Cheers

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2010, 09:45 PM   #732
Goingforsound
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Brewer View Post
Just wanted to throw this out there, I've done the 10gal All-grain twice, and I'm planning on doing it again tomorrow! Excellent summer beer.

For anyone who wants a variation of the extract version (and actually reads this far)
I put this together for a friend and it tasted AWESOME

4lbs of Light DME
1.3 lbs of Light LME

1/2 lb Caramel 10*L
1/2 lb Vienna 10*L
1/2 lb Carapils
Though Vienna is supposed to be mashed, if you put all those grains in a bag and soak them in 3 qts water @ ~150 for 45 min, then dunk them in 2 qts water @ ~175 for 10 min, the process is very similar to DeathBrewers stove top all-grain method. This adds alot of flavor to the finished beer!

.5 oz Centennial @ 60
.25 oz Cascade @ 20
.25 oz Cascade @5

Just my take. I enjoy all-grain more but this is for helping beginners! DME FTW, you get no off flavors when using it.

Your recipes are awesome BierMuncher
Is this for 5 gallons or 5.5?

thanks
<Bottled>: Black pearl porter, Alex's APA, Pumpkin Ale

Old 04-01-2010, 02:48 AM   #733
Meddle
Recipes 

I substituted Carahell for the Caramel 10L. They should be roughly the same color but I'm not exactly sure how the flavor differs.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:08 PM   #734
JetSmooth
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 10

We brewed this on Saturday (Blog Link) and only came up with five gallons of an expected seven gallon end-product. I scaled the recipe up in BrewTarget and also swapped in Saaz for Cascade. I figured out where I undershot my starting water with this system, so I can compensate next time. Though I hit the OG target.

I also realized my scale only gave me one decimal place, so I rounded the hops up to the next tenth-ounce. I didn't think that would be too much of an issue. Now, I'm concerned that this will be too bitter. I'll take a gravity reading tonight and sample.

If this turns out to be way too bitter, how could I remedy it? Maybe boil up a gallon of water with some DME and add to the carboy, allow to ferment out?

Bottling the Belgian: A Photo Odyssey

Beer is the mind-killer. Beer is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my beer. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see it's path. When the beer has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #735
sagnew440
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey BM, I'm planning on brewing up an 8 gal batch of this tommorrow. I was wondering if williamette would be an okay sub for the centenial. I got about a pound of williamette in the freezer and wanted to use them up. Thanks

Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 PM   #736
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagnew440 View Post
Hey BM, I'm planning on brewing up an 8 gal batch of this tommorrow. I was wondering if williamette would be an okay sub for the centenial. I got about a pound of williamette in the freezer and wanted to use them up. Thanks
Williamette will work very well. Less of an American citrus flavor but it will be a very clean drinkable. I wouldn't hesitate t sub it in.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:12 AM   #737
BrewFiend
Recipes 

I brewed a batch similar to this as a result of a lack of hops/yeast available. Still smells great though, thanks for the recipe from the feedback this is a winner. Should I crash cool? I am fermenting at about 65F. I have a space available with fairly constant temp around 55F.

Last edited by BrewFiend; 04-10-2010 at 05:40 AM.

Old 04-03-2010, 04:28 PM   #738
gunner11
Recipes 

Brewed this last night and it smelled fantastic!!! Thanks BM for a recipe that appears to be a huge hit!!!

Old 04-07-2010, 06:04 PM   #739
BeantownR6
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

BM so you say this can be ready in 2 weeks keg. im getting my keg system in a day, 2 keg system. i have an ipa ready to keg and want to have the other keg filled for a bbq in 3 weeks or so. im gonna give the recipe a shot.

I was thinking 7 days primary, then 1.5 weeks keg condition then force carb. or do you think it would be better for 14 days primary, keg condition a few days then force carb for the weekend?

Last edited by BeantownR6; 04-07-2010 at 06:08 PM.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #740
Reno_eNVy

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeantownR6 View Post
I was thinking 7 days primary, then 1.5 weeks keg condition then force carb. or do you think it would be better for 14 days primary, keg condition a few days then force carb for the weekend?
Just something similar to this twice: once with BM's Centennial Blonde (using S-04 instead, though) and most recently with my Honey Orange Hefeweizen (using WB-06) though in my cases they had to be done in two weeks!! You're luck you're got some extra time. To have it come out decently clear, delicious and fully carbonated:

- Don't forget to use finings in the boil
- Give it ~14 days in primary
- Crash cool, rack into a secondary (or keg) on top of gelatin dissolved in hot (not boiling!!!) water
- Give it a few days, maybe 3 (keep it cold if you can)
- If you racked to a secondary, rack to your keg and get it on some gas
- Set it to ~30PSI for 24 hours. Turn off the gas, purge the keg and check the carbonation
- If it's not ready, give it a bit longer. Try checking back in 6-12 hours to be sure not to over-carbonate
- Dial down to proper carbonation temperature when you think it's adequately carbonated

That's just my two-cents. Other people will tell you a million other ways to do it because they work too... that's just the way that works for me.

Good luck!

Kegged: Strawberry Banana Blonde -- Sahti

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Quick Reply