Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 07:18 AM   #621
martinworswick
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

i made this beer today,had my smoothest brewday to date,until i came to the chill,and it plateaued at around 104f, i felt the water coming out of my chiller which also read 104 but it was cold. i borrowed a friends thermometer and sure enough my digital one was out by about 25f. which could mean instead of mashing at 150f i was actually at about 125f
i hit 1.045 with my post boil gravity and the sample tasted sweet so i obviously extracted something, i'm hoping something happened to the thermometer during the boil but if my mash was actually 125f then how is this likely to affect the beer and can anything be done to salvage it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2009, 03:31 AM   #622
sunblock
Recipes 

man i'm at a loss with this brew. on my 3rd AG attempt of it now and its clear and pretty but has a funky maltiness to it. I am still fairly new to AG, but my IPAs come out great!. any body want to be my taste tester and tell me what I'm doing wrong? as highly rated as this beer is, i am going to go nuts until i get it right.

Old 11-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #623
Sudz

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

I've encountered a bit of a mystery so I turn to the forum.

I recently brewed my third batch of this brew and made one small change.

I eliminated my chlorine from my filtered tap water. It's a long story but I discovered my city water had converted to chloramine and my carbon filter wasn't doing anything. So I've been brewing from day one with a full dose of chlorine in every batch.

So this batch was specifically designed to demonstrate what if any, effects the chlorine made. My previous brew was Centennial so this was a good way to compare with and without with regard to chlorine.

The beer turned out fine. It's been in the bottle for about 4 weeks. All steps and process stats were the same both going in and measured.

The difference is pronounced.

The hop favor is much more prominent. The hops seem to be brighter, stronger, and generally more pronounced. They're actually too strong for my taste. It appears the chlorine may have been oxidizing some of the hop contribution.

I used the same hop bill from the same LHBS and have a hard time thinking this is due to just stronger hops.

Has anyone experienced anything similar with respect to chlorine?

Old 12-12-2009, 01:22 AM   #624
Jeff48
Recipes 

This stuff never gets old.
Always keep a brew on hand. Just brewed the 7th 5 gallon AG recipe since February this weekend and will be serving it up from Christmas through new years.
Thanks for a great house beer recipe.

Drinking:Blondie's Amer. Ale 3- Pyramid Power Cervezas 3 - Georgie Washington's Vogelkirsche - Breakfast of Champions (Orange Heffe)- Himbeerehefeweizenbier (Raz Heffe)-Erin Go Bragh - Excalibur Stout AG - Moondust (Blue Moon clone)

Prim:
2ndry:Amarillo Blondie 2-PP Cervezas 4
Conditioning:Petey's AG Porter- John Barleywine Must Live

Hops Grown in 08: Magnum, Goldings, Cascade, Centennial

Wine:
Prim.- AUS Shiraz
2ndry- Gewurztraminer - Port
Bottle Aging- Burgeron Blanc

Old 12-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #625
sunblock
Recipes 

I havent given up on it yet. my third try still had a funny taste to it but I also just discovered that I have been using recalled notty for the last few months. kinda annoying.

Formulating : Below ground IPA
Fermenting: Riley red rye ale 10 gallons
Kegged : McGrittys scotch IPA, Bitter, Dumb Blonde

Old 12-13-2009, 01:10 AM   #626
Skoper
Recipes 

I just got back from a Christmas party of hardcore BMC drinkers. I brought a keg of Alpha King and a keg of this. While the Alpha King is my facorite this beer was a huge hit. I can't tell you how many times I heard. You made this? Anyway. I am going to have to brew another because there is an empty keg sitting in my car. This beer went fast

thanks

Old 12-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #627
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Hydro sample sitting in the fridge now to taste after bit. finished at 1.009. I was already to read the print on the jar behind through the plastic sample tube. I can't wait to get it cooled and in a glass to see how clear it is. May not even bother with gelatin.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-15-2009, 12:49 PM   #628
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2729 Times on 2680 Posts
Likes Given: 99

Well after chilling it wasn't quite as clear as before.Granted it was only an hour. I went ahead and added a pack of Knox to the fermenter and it's in the garage getting cold. Kegs are cleaned and waiting for sanitizer and then beer later this week. The sample was good. I can't wait to taste it carbed.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 12-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #629
89OctaneStang
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

BM, Doing a partial mash of this right now and the grain is going at 150*. Going to mash for about 60'. I don't care for dry extract so I converted it to LME. Using your 5.5 gallon recipe on page one and brewing an 11 gallon batch. Did I convert the extract right? I will be using 12.5 lbs of light pilsen LME. Any thoughts before I get to the boil process? Thanks.

EDIT: Brewed and in fermenters... OG is 1.050. All went well but just looking at it and it seems that its going to be a little darker than I thought and darker than the others that have posted pics. Maybe that will change before its time to drink - IN 2 WEEKS

Last edited by 89OctaneStang; 12-17-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:16 PM   #630
Ale to the Chief
Recipes 

I decided to make this for my first AG about 3-4 weeks ago. It's been in the bottles now for only about a week but I already cannot stop drinking it. I have to say this is the first beer I've made that I really love! Don't think these 5 gallons are going to make it very long.

Thanks Bier Muncher

Quick Reply