Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #601
magnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Low 60's will get you a much cleaner yeast profile. Don't get me wrong, Nottingham's character can be desirable in some styles, but I don't think a ton of fruit is really desirable in a Blonde, just a bit.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-01-2009, 11:50 PM   #602
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

Have there been any major developments to this recipe since post #1? It looks awesome. I am just a bit too lazy to read through 16 pages to see if I should make any tweaks. Thanks!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:21 AM   #603
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 572 Times on 337 Posts
Likes Given: 208

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRobinson View Post
Have there been any major developments to this recipe since post #1? It looks awesome. I am just a bit too lazy to read through 16 pages to see if I should make any tweaks. Thanks!
Nope.

Well, everyone seems to start with the base recipe and then make adjustments they see fit. Some make adjustments on their first batch based on what they have on hand.

Brew it. Drink it. Repeat.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:35 AM   #604
hermanthegerman
Recipes 

Brewing again on Saturday. Thanks for all of the help magnj!

Old 11-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #605
quinnae
Recipes 

Biermuncher,

I am making this beer on Saturday Nov7, I need this beer to be ready by thanksgiving. I was planning on letting it sit in the primary for 7 days then racking it to a carboy, adding gelatin, and crash cooling for 4 days then racking the clear beer to a keg for it to carb at fridge temp for 1 week before thanksgiving.

Do you see any potential problems with this plan?

I am trying to get a good tasting clear beer to serve to my family members. I know I should have started sooner but I currently have you Captain Hooked on Bitters in my fermenter and I did not know the family was getting together for Thanksgiving until last week.

One note, I am using Irish moss in the boil and I though with the short condition time I would use the gelatin to speed things up. If you have any other suggestions please help me out.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #606
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinnae View Post
Biermuncher,

I am making this beer on Saturday Nov7, I need this beer to be ready by thanksgiving. I was planning on letting it sit in the primary for 7 days then racking it to a carboy, adding gelatin, and crash cooling for 4 days then racking the clear beer to a keg for it to carb at fridge temp for 1 week before thanksgiving.

Do you see any potential problems with this plan?

I am trying to get a good tasting clear beer to serve to my family members. I know I should have started sooner but I currently have you Captain Hooked on Bitters in my fermenter and I did not know the family was getting together for Thanksgiving until last week.

One note, I am using Irish moss in the boil and I though with the short condition time I would use the gelatin to speed things up. If you have any other suggestions please help me out.
If I were going to push one through, I'd go 10 days in the primary. Two days crash cooled on gelatin and then rack to keg to sit until serving time. The extra three days on yeast will help give you a cleaner beer. A light grain bill like that only needs 48 hours to clear on gelatin.

Old 11-02-2009, 02:20 PM   #607
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
If I were going to push one through, I'd go 10 days in the primary. Two days crash cooled on gelatin and then rack to keg to sit until serving time. The extra three days on yeast will help give you a cleaner beer. A light grain bill like that only needs 48 hours to clear on gelatin.
I'm a little confused. Post #1 calls for 4 days primary @ 68 and 5 days secondary @68. Shouldn't that schedule get 'er done in time? Also, when you say crash cooled, about what temp are we talking about? If I am not under these time constraints, what schedule would you recommend for the cleanest, clearest beer possible (in terms of primary time, secondary time, & temperature)?

I know that "time" isn't the best measure because fermentations vary, so in terms of attenuation % before racking to secondary, what are we talking about? 2/3 to 3/4 or past attenuation and basically into conditioning (so that primary ferm is totally complete)? Thanks, sorry for all the questions.

Last edited by Doc Robinson; 11-02-2009 at 02:22 PM.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #608
hermanthegerman
Recipes 

good questino doc. i was also wondering this....

Old 11-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #609
Doc Robinson
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermanthegerman View Post
good questino doc. i was also wondering this....
Cue "Final Jeopardy" jingle until BM gets back...

Old 11-04-2009, 02:46 AM   #610
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRobinson View Post
Cue "Final Jeopardy" jingle until BM gets back...
This recipe is suited for a quick turnaround, but the longer I brew, the more I realize the benefits of additional time on the yeast cake.

If you are not under constraints:
2 weeks in a primary.
1 week in a clearing tank at the same temp...on gelatin.
2 weeks in a cold keg (37 degrees).

I find that the extra time at room temp allows the last little bit of residual fermentation to finish out. This might not be noticeable when serving from the keg, but if you bottle from the keg and store the bottles at room temp...that little bit of unfermented sugars will continue to ferment and dry the beer out a bit too much.

The great thing about this recipe is it's very good for a rush-job beer. But it's phenomenal if allowed to age for several weeks.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply