Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 11:17 PM   #531
Jsamp
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
I do like Simcoe as a sub, but you may need to tweak the amount due to the Alpha difference.
Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to trying this.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #532
bdaddy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm trying this as my first all-grain and I have some grain questions (forgive my ignorance)

Pale Malt (2 Row) - Is "Golden Promis Pale Malt" the same thing or close enough?

Cara-Pils/Dextrine - Is Belgian Cara-Pils (5 - 10°L) the same? This is belgian, but beersmith shows it as US

Caramel/Crystal Malt(10L) - Is German "Cara-Foam" Light Crystal Malt (10°L) ok? Same question as above...this is German but beersmith shows US.

I'm just confused how the grains from this recipe translate to what I'm actually going to be buying. Here is a link to my LHBS that I'm going to visit tomorrow, in case I'm wrong on any of the above you can use this to point me in the right direction Thanks for the help!

Grain

Old 08-07-2009, 01:18 AM   #533
kjbudsberg
Recipes 

Long time lurker, first time poster. Gotta say, this is one REALLY tasty brew. I made the extract version and Wyeast 1056 (there something in the notty I just don't like...vinegary aftertaste?), and I am genuinely scared to share because it will be come a neighborhood favorite.
Yummy

Old 08-07-2009, 11:15 AM   #534
solbergg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbergg View Post
I made the extract version of this about a little under a year ago and decided to give the all-grain version a try. I brewed it on Sunday and the beer is currently experiencing an extremely active fermentation. I hope it tastes as good as it did the last time!
Just wanted to add that I made this last batch for a wedding and it was very popular! We had 3 beers on tap and this one had 4 gallons gone by the end of the reception. On top of that, I entered it in a statewide comp and won a bronze medal!

Old 08-07-2009, 07:45 PM   #535
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I will be brewing up a 10 gallon batch of this on Sunday.

In just 8 weeks, we will be participating in the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta This should be just right by then. 10 days of Balloons, Babes, Brats and Beer. I have been preparing for the event with an Irish Red Ale and a Robust Porter. I think this blond will make a nice balance for everyone. And if anyone don't like what I got, screw 'em, let them drink champagne. I think I will call this beer, "Lighter Than Air Blonde".

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

My Theme Song: "I Like Beer"

Old 08-08-2009, 02:20 AM   #536
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRageous View Post
I will be brewing up a 10 gallon batch of this on Sunday.

In just 8 weeks, we will be participating in the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta This should be just right by then. 10 days of Balloons, Babes, Brats and Beer. I have been preparing for the event with an Irish Red Ale and a Robust Porter. I think this blond will make a nice balance for everyone. And if anyone don't like what I got, screw 'em, let them drink champagne. I think I will call this beer, "Lighter Than Air Blonde".
You need to look up BrewPastor. He has the balloon launch right out his back porch if I'm not mistaken.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #537
AirRageous
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
You need to look up BrewPastor. He has the balloon launch right out his back porch if I'm not mistaken.
Yep, we have chatted here some. Have yet to meet face to face tho.

I'm brewing the extract version but could not get Extra Light DME at the LHBS. I bought just regular Light DME. Think it will hurt the light color?

Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?

My Theme Song: "I Like Beer"

Old 08-09-2009, 07:55 AM   #538
Jimmeh
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaddy View Post
I'm trying this as my first all-grain and I have some grain questions (forgive my ignorance)

Pale Malt (2 Row) - Is "Golden Promis Pale Malt" the same thing or close enough?

Cara-Pils/Dextrine - Is Belgian Cara-Pils (5 - 10°L) the same? This is belgian, but beersmith shows it as US

Caramel/Crystal Malt(10L) - Is German "Cara-Foam" Light Crystal Malt (10°L) ok? Same question as above...this is German but beersmith shows US.

I'm just confused how the grains from this recipe translate to what I'm actually going to be buying. Here is a link to my LHBS that I'm going to visit tomorrow, in case I'm wrong on any of the above you can use this to point me in the right direction Thanks for the help!

Grain
Hi bdaddy

I had a look at the website you posted.

They sell "Domestic Two-Row Pale (1.5°) per lb." which is what you want. Golden Promise is an English style malt which is similar, but a slightly different flavor profile that what this recipe calls for.

The Belgian Cara-Pils is fine.. except that website lists it as being a bit darker compared to other brands of cara-pils.

The German cara-foam I'm not sure about. I think they've mis-labeled it on the website... it probably should say "Carahell" which is 10L crystal and would be perfect for this recipe. Actual german cara-foam is about 2L in color. You might want to call them and clarify what it is.

Hope thats not too confusing!

Old 08-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #539
BrickHomestead
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Only recently have I stated to appreciate light beers with subtle flavors and this recipie turned out great. Perfect summertime beer.

I fermented at 70F in primary for two weeks and one week in the bottle. No strange flavors and it's almost totally clear. Got better than expected efficiency. The only problem is increased ABV of 5% comes through in the taste a bit. I'm thinking of a little coriander for the next batch. And maybe keeping the fermentation temp a little lower.

This recipe also seems like a nice clean slate for tweaks and changes to personalize taste. Anyone make changes they really like?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:23 PM   #540
bamadoh
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wanted to thank you for the easy and great recipe. I brewed this a little over a month ago and its been bottled almost two weeks. I tried one last night and I was surprised that it was perfectly carbed and tasted wonderful. The best all grain effort to date. I can't wait to try it after another week in the bottle and some time in the fridge. I need to get another batch going soon so I can enjoy it all through football season.

Quick Reply