Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2009, 12:32 AM   #521
magnj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2009, 03:08 AM   #522
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 578 Times on 340 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0ngwh0ng View Post
I have to make a modification to the grain bill since my LHBS doesn't keep Crystal 10.. Is Munich malt gonna be a good replacement if it scores at 10L too? Or should I stick with Crystal 40L, lowest Lovibond available..?
I'd choose the Munich over 40. 40 is too much caramel and too dark.

Old 07-17-2009, 08:48 PM   #523
Myrdhyn
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Would I be nuts to move the 60(55) minute hops to FWH and double the amount? Trying to get more flavor and a tad more IBUs but dodge making it too bitter for the malt bill to support. Maybe change the hop schedule to look something like this (5gallon batch):

.50 Centennial FWH
.25 centennial 35mins
.25 Cascades 20mins
.25 cascades 5mins

edit: I should add I'm not trying to convert anyone with this one, so if I break the "mass appeal" factor I don't mind. I'm going for something cheap/easy that will satisfy my craving for a slightly hoppier PA that isn't quite in the IPA($$) range.

Left tap: Myrd's IPA
Right tap: Heffeweizen
Kegged: Blimey's ESB, Apfelwein, Ed's Haus Pale Ale
Fermenting: Air, but soon to be Ode-to-Arthur and more Apfelwein.

Last edited by Myrdhyn; 07-17-2009 at 08:51 PM.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:07 PM   #524
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

How quickly could i bottle this?

I brewed it last Sunday and this Wed I'm off on Vacation for 2.5 weeks. My options are to bottle after 10 days in primary or rack it to secondary and bottle when i get back.

I'd rather bottle it before i go but don't want that to have any neg effects on this brew.

Old 07-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #525
magnj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I won't speak for BM but I think you could find a recipe for a nice light APA if that's what you want. You could probably FWH this for a smoother bitterness but if you double it your going to significantly change the balance that he worked hard to perfect. It would work but I don't think it'd be the same beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myrdhyn View Post
Would I be nuts to move the 60(55) minute hops to FWH and double the amount? Trying to get more flavor and a tad more IBUs but dodge making it too bitter for the malt bill to support. Maybe change the hop schedule to look something like this (5gallon batch):

.50 Centennial FWH
.25 centennial 35mins
.25 Cascades 20mins
.25 cascades 5mins

edit: I should add I'm not trying to convert anyone with this one, so if I break the "mass appeal" factor I don't mind. I'm going for something cheap/easy that will satisfy my craving for a slightly hoppier PA that isn't quite in the IPA($$) range.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 PM   #526
NonServiam
Recipes 

My partial mash version of this recipe (two pages up in this thread) turned out freaking great! Thanks BM!

I chose this recipe as the first one for my new kegging setup, and it came out beautifully. The first pour was crystal clear!

Anyway, just wanted to show it off ... and also mention that one should definitely serve this around 40-45 F. Any colder and the flavor suffers noticeably.

Old 07-27-2009, 01:36 AM   #527
dmbnpj
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

On the 5 gallon recipe, it calls for 6.57 gallon boil size and 5.50 gallon batch size. Does this mean I need to collect 6.57 gallons of wort before the boil, which then after the hour in the boil it will have evaporated down to 5.50 gallons?

Last edited by dmbnpj; 07-27-2009 at 01:52 AM.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:19 AM   #528
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmbnpj View Post
On the 5 gallon recipe, it calls for 6.57 gallon boil size and 5.50 gallon batch size. Does this mean I need to collect 6.57 gallons of wort before the boil, which then after the hour in the boil it will have evaporated down to 5.50 gallons?
Boil off rates will vary but essentially...yes.

I usually shoot for a 7 gallon pre-boil and boil down to 5.5 gallons. You'll lose some beer to trub...that's the reason for the extra .5 gallons.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 07-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #529
Jsamp
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 16

This is going to be my 2nd brew. It looks really simple and cheap to make. Also all the comments have been really good about it so I'm feeling confident. It might even be my next 3 just so I can stock up on some good beer before I start either a Bourbon porter/stout or Barley Wine Strong Ale.

I do have a question though if someone could help a newbie out. My local homebrew store carries mostly wine making supplies but they do have some beer making stuff. They have all the stuff to make the extract version except they dont have Centennial hops. They told me they could order just about anything if I gave them a special order. As of now I'm thinking all cascade because of the posts I've read and I'm going there in the morning and I dont want to wait for an order to come in right now. They have these hops in stock Cascade, Spalt, Simcoe, Liberty, Kent Goldings, Traditional, Perle, and Saaz. Would one of these be a good replacement for Centennial or should I just stick with all Cascade?

Old 07-28-2009, 10:46 PM   #530
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsamp View Post
...They have these hops in stock Cascade, Spalt, Simcoe, Liberty, Kent Goldings, Traditional, Perle, and Saaz. Would one of these be a good replacement for Centennial or should I just stick with all Cascade?
I do like Simcoe as a sub, but you may need to tweak the amount due to the Alpha difference.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply