Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2008, 04:49 PM   #41
strohs
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This recipe looks good, I think I just found my next brew

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #42
landhoney

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I'm thinking of brewing this one, but add some lambic/sour blend to make a sour-blonde. Maybe mash a bit higher to add some more unfermentables for the bigs to eat. Russian Rivers base beer for Temptation is a Blonde Ale, so its not without precident.

Old 02-20-2008, 01:34 PM   #43
solbergg
Recipes 

I want to try the extract version of this recipe, but the biggest boil size I can do is 3.25 gallons. Would I be ruining the taste by doing a partial boil?

Old 02-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #44
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbergg
I want to try the extract version of this recipe, but the biggest boil size I can do is 3.25 gallons. Would I be ruining the taste by doing a partial boil?
No problem. A light grain bill like this wold be well suited for a partial boil. You may want to extend the boil times on your hops additions since your wort will be more concentrated and your utilization will go down.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:50 PM   #45
solbergg
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
No problem. A light grain bill like this wold be well suited for a partial boil. You may want to extend the boil times on your hops additions since your wort will be more concentrated and your utilization will go down.
Great! Any scientific method I can follow, such as half the boil means double the hop time or something along those lines?

Update: Just checked up on tastybrew.com Putting the first centennial at 60 minutes and the second one for 45 minutes and doubling the cascade times will get the bitterness to 16 IBU on a 3.25 boil, if anyone else is in a similar situation as mine. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Last edited by solbergg; 02-22-2008 at 05:06 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #46
solbergg
Recipes 

Ok, so brew day is tonight. Is there any specific time/temp conditions for the grain steeping or will 160 degrees for half an hour be enough?

Last edited by solbergg; 02-25-2008 at 06:01 PM.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM   #47
drunkatuw
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I brewed this back in November and just made room in my kegerator last week and it's been on gas for almost a week and I tried it yesterday (while I was brewing your helles belles) and it was excellent. I loved the citrusy combination of the centennial and cascade. I drank 4-5 pints over the course of the day. Everytime my glass would be empty, the kegerator would be calling my name. Glad I made 10 gallons of this and I'll definitely brew it again!

Old 02-25-2008, 06:32 PM   #48
SuperiorBrew
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
A good week + in a chilled keg and the chill haze will also go away.

Cheers...
Tastes great but the haze never went away, I cant figure it out. I did a 10G batch fermented all in the same fermenter and then after about 3 weeks I put it in 2 cornys. One had been at 48-50º and one at 36-38º they both have the same haze. I have never had any haze before.

Old 02-25-2008, 08:28 PM   #49
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 566 Times on 334 Posts
Likes Given: 201

Quote:
Originally Posted by solbergg
Ok, so brew day is tonight. Is there any specific time/temp conditions for the grain steeping or will 160 degrees for half an hour be enough?
Since it's only the cara that you're steeping, 1/2 hour should be fine. Longer wouldn't hurt though.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 02-29-2008, 11:33 AM   #50
solbergg
Recipes 

Well, brew day went pretty smoothly. It took about 16 hours before the airlock started bubbling, but it's doing it pretty consistently now. The wort looked pretty dark when I sealed up the fermenter - does it lighten up during fermentation?

Quick Reply