Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2013, 03:35 AM   #3071
woknblues
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder_Chicken View Post
I broke down and put one of my Centennial Blondes (extract recipe) in the freezer after 6 days in the bottle to sample. Yeah yeah...I just had to try it since I brewed 10 gallons of it and wanted to know if it was good or not.

Holy Schnikes! It is clear, carbonated, has a head that won't quit, and has a sweet citrusy aroma and flavor. This gets better? Wow!

I'm glad I threw in another 5 gallon batch on the yeast cake. This is crazy good for such a young beer.

Is there any hop selection that would tend to give a more lemony zing vs. a grapefruit? Picky picky I know. This stuff is fabulous.

Did you hear me when I said this was fabulous?

Woo hoo! I got me a solid summer brew that I can make 5 gallons of with my kitchen pots! Victory is mine!
Soriachi Ace is the first that come to mind. I believe it has around double the alphas as cascade, so I would reduce the amount you use, unless you also want it to be more hoppy/bitter. wait, I just reread what you wrote.. The soriachi ace would probably be a great swap for the centennial. of course you will have to change the name to Soriachi Blonde!

Primary#1: BM's Loon Lake Smoked Porter
Primary#2: Farmhouse Saison Brett
Secondary#1-4: Empty
Keg#1: Nothing fancy Choc Stout w/ nibs
Keg#2: Graff
Keg#3-4: Empty

Last edited by woknblues; 05-06-2013 at 03:40 AM. Reason: I cant read

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 11:23 AM   #3072
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Liked 657 Times on 461 Posts
Likes Given: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
Soriachi Ace is the first that come to mind. I believe it has around double the alphas as cascade, so I would reduce the amount you use, unless you also want it to be more hoppy/bitter. wait, I just reread what you wrote.. The soriachi ace would probably be a great swap for the centennial. of course you will have to change the name to Soriachi Blonde!
Thanks! I'll have to see if I can get Soriachi. I have a spreasheet and can tweak the amounts and times for different alphas, no problem. I still have a lot of Centennial so I think I will brew to the original recipe for now and tweak the extracts and hops a bit. A pinch more hop bitterness would be OK as I think the extract makes it a bit underbalanced to the malt side. But man, is it smooth!

I had to use some pilsner extract in place of the extra light in my last batch, so I'll wait to see what that does to the dryness. I might swap out small amounts of DME with plain sugar to see if I can tone down the maltiness.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:41 PM   #3073
CeeTee
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

So put mine on gas 3 days ago and tried one last night. It is pretty damn amazing!!! I used Centennial as directed, and sub'd Citra for the ascade while keeping the same IBUs. This has just become my new favorite brew! Still a little cloudy, but I attribute that to still being green.

I used Wyeast S-05
Citra instead of Cascade (got same IBUs)
Fermented for 10 days
OG 1.05
FG 1.007

Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Bottle: Pineapple Sweaty Palms Hefe, Apfelwein
Keg 1: Reflection Lake (Mirror Pond Clone) RIP :(

Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 PM   #3074
porky_pine
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 116

I just brewed 11 gallons and racked half on top of an apple-rhubarb mix I made and the other half on top of some mango-serrano pepper-tamarind mix I made. I'm gonna enter them in the Portland Fruit beer competition if they are any good.

Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #3075
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by woknblues View Post
LHBS says no go on the Sorachi Ace. Has anyone used the Hop Union's Falconer's Flight hop blend? The description from Norther Brewer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Brewer
Falconer’s Flight™ is an exclusive proprietary hop blend created by Hop Union to honor and support the legacy of Northwest brewing legend, Glen Hay Falconer, who passed in 2002. The blend is comprised of many of the Northwest’s most unique hop varieties, including Citra™, Simcoe®, and Sorachi Ace along with experimental hops and numerous other NW varieties. Perfect for any Northwest-style IPA. Each hop has been hand selected for its superior aromatic qualities, imparting distinct tropical, citrus, floral, lemon and grapefruit tones.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 AM   #3076
mike_in_ak
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 52 Posts

The microbrews I have had with FF were all good, but not lemony. I don't know what percentage they used, but it was the "hops" they advertised. More along the lines of cascades progeny.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:05 AM   #3077
Thunder_Chicken
Recipes 

I went to the LHBS today and they actually did have some Sorachi Ace. I asked for some guidance on the usage in a special thread but no answers as of yet.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/sorachi-blonde-hop-schedule-409720/

I have an ounce of Sorachi Ace with 12.6% AA. I was thinking about bumping the Centennial, moving the Cascade to earlier additions for bittering and putting the Sorachi in toward the end for flavor/aroma additions. Perhaps like this:

0.25 oz Cascade 45 min
0.25 oz Cascade 20 min
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace 10 min
0.25 oz Sorachi Ace 5 min

This gives me 24 IBUs for the batch which should still be nicely balanced (I kinda want to shift the balance slightly hoppy anyway). I also figure putting the high AA% Sorachi to later additions will make it harder to screw up the hop balance (something to worry about on such a small beer).

Has anyone worked with Sorachi Ace? Does the above schedule look good?

Old 05-08-2013, 01:34 AM   #3078
TrainReck
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Awesome

First post!

Awesome recipe. I brewed the extract version a couple of weeks ago.

While kegging, I took a taste and it was intriguing. A few days later, but before fully carbed, I couldn't wait anymore and took a taste after drinking a few heavier beers (Black Lager, IPAs, etc.) and was honestly kind of disappointed. Seemed watered down, but figured my BMC friends would enjoy.

Tonight, I tasted a glass of fully carbed Blonde as my first beer... Outstanding! I have a family party coming up and I know it'll be a huge hit. I want to try it as my first all-grain soon. I think this will be part of my standard rotation and probably hard to keep a full keg around especially with the warmer weather approaching.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:44 PM   #3079
Swanie
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Brewing this right now. Got about 10 min left in the mash. All grain version exactly as BM posted.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:21 PM   #3080
Johnnyhamer
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 45

I'm drinking my last one and it's bittersweet(not the taste, that's AMAZING) Just sad and need to brew more ASAP. To the people currently brewing this, you will NOT be disappointed. Also, dryhopped with 1/4oz of cascade. Not sure how much of a difference that made...

ENJOY!

Drinking: Beer

Quick Reply