Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #2931
MarcusKillion
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I ferment at 72 degrees room temp all the time . the beer will actually be about 3 degrees warmer . Never noticed any bad flavors . Do not allow it to reach 80 or you will get flavors you do not want but may or may not be bad tasting .
How ever Danstar nottingham is 54 to 70 recommended . I doubt going a bit over is going to lead to bad anything it is just the optimal temps for the process to work in .
I like safale 05 because it goes up to 74 degrees and my rooms are at 72 most of the time .
that is my opinion anyway from brewing millions of gallons of beer ( okay that may be stretching it just a little ) with almost all notty or safale . your mileage may vary

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #2932
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

I have some problems on the last two batches done with danstar from my LHBS . Did not seem to be very healthy yeast . No action when I added in some sugar to test it after rehydration . so this time in this brew I just tested my FG at 1.013 after 4 days . Not good in my opinion . so I just rehydrated a pack of safale05 and it is good . Added that in through the air lock grommet with a funnel . Should have used the safale in the first place after I rehydrated the notty and it did not look in good shape . My bad .
So my point is , we will see what re pitching yeast after 4 days fermentation does for this beer

Old 04-11-2013, 12:05 AM   #2933
brewmasterbates
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I don't know why I hear all this "I had a problem with the danstar notty 05", I have used this yeast, oh maybe 25 times and NEVER had a problem with it. It tastes so outstanding, I have a hard time NOT using it. Why are people having issues with this yeast? Normally, I pitch a 1 qt starter with some golden/light DME, let it spin for 48 hrs to double the yield. Then cool my wort to 65 degrees, stir in yeast while airating seal it up and it ferments out in usually 3/4 days. Gives my golden ales an absolutly delicious taste. I just don't know what the hell people are doing to botch this.

currently on tap:
Octoberfest
Yoopers Cream Ale
"in the hole"
Rye pale ale

Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 AM   #2934
brewmasterbates
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

one other thing, is anyone here checking and/or adjust their water PH? We use water from the springs at Saratoga. We have noticed that it changes all the time. Sometimes it at 7.0, last time it was 8.0. So we have added some gypsum to the boil water, and have to add some lactic acid (approx 5-7 drops) into the mash. Usually, these yellow beers need some sort of additives we have found over time. If you are not checking you water, or making adjustments to it, you could be opening yourself up to off flavors. cool site to check out is brewinwater.com, interesting info there for beer geeks.

currently on tap:
Octoberfest
Yoopers Cream Ale
"in the hole"
Rye pale ale

Old 04-11-2013, 12:13 AM   #2935
Spinrathen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewmasterbates View Post
I don't know why I hear all this "I had a problem with the danstar notty 05", I have used this yeast, oh maybe 25 times and NEVER had a problem with it. It tastes so outstanding, I have a hard time NOT using it. Why are people having issues with this yeast? Normally, I pitch a 1 qt starter with some golden/light DME, let it spin for 48 hrs to double the yield. Then cool my wort to 65 degrees, stir in yeast while airating seal it up and it ferments out in usually 3/4 days. Gives my golden ales an absolutly delicious taste. I just don't know what the hell people are doing to botch this.
A lot of people don't make a starter, so you would know you had a problem before you pitched if you did get a bad batch. There have been problems with different lots of notty in the past. I've personally never had any problems, but lots of people have. I think it has less to do with them and more to do with quality or shipping problems on danstars end.

Thank you Jerry!

Old 04-11-2013, 12:17 AM   #2936
brewmasterbates
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Interesting, at my local zyrmgyst, all the yeast is dated and fresh, and always refrigerated. I have never gotten a bad yeast out of the 100 or so brews we've done. Also, I have never ordered anything in the mail, wouldn't trust it.

currently on tap:
Octoberfest
Yoopers Cream Ale
"in the hole"
Rye pale ale

Old 04-11-2013, 12:24 AM   #2937
Spinrathen
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Interesting, at my local zyrmgyst, all the yeast is dated and fresh, and always refrigerated. I have never gotten a bad yeast out of the 100 or so brews we've done. Also, I have never ordered anything in the mail, wouldn't trust it.
Ya I wouldn't order yeast by mail either. Some people don't have any other option though I guess.

Thank you Jerry!

Old 04-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #2938
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

When I first tried this beer young I was like "yuck" but as it aged out it started tasting really good. Of all the batches I done since switching to AG it's been the only one that I actually liked! Now that the keezer is operational I think I may have a go at it again. Of course I gotta try one from my 200 Clone Beer book first.

Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Old 04-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #2939
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
never used a starter before . I just rehydrate and sometimes add in a 1/2 teaspoon of sugar to see if the yeast is healthy. always had real good luck with it but seems the last two batches did not ferment out good . I did do one thing different on them . I used a paint stirrer on a drill to aerate the wort which made a huge amount of foam from the rice I would guess and may not be adding in enough oxygen since the foam could be carrying out the oxygen and not allowing it to mix in .
but I did check one packet of yeast and it did not react to the sugar so I am sure it was just old or something .
the only two problems I have ever had with Notty . Great yeast in my opinion

Old 04-11-2013, 02:52 PM   #2940
MarcusKillion
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinrathen View Post
Ya I wouldn't order yeast by mail either. Some people don't have any other option though I guess.
I made that mistake once . Ordered liquid and it came while I was at work and sat on the porch in 100 degree weather for who knows how long and also took 4 days to get here .

Quick Reply