Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #2881
b_maffucci
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Hey guys, feel dumb but can anyone point me in the direction of some good laid out instructions for the partial mash/extract version? Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #2882
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_maffucci View Post
Hey guys, feel dumb but can anyone point me in the direction of some good laid out instructions for the partial mash/extract version? Thanks
This is on page 1.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steiner

Sounds good. Any chance of a similar 5 gal extract version?

This should get you a very similar beer:

Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 6.57 gal
Estimated OG: 1.044 SG
Estimated Color: 3.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 16.8 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.0 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 83.3 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.7 %
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (45 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
0.25 oz Centennial [9.50%] (20 min) Hops 5.1 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (10 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.80%] (5 min) Hops 1.4 IBU
1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 04-02-2013, 05:57 PM   #2883
b_maffucci
Recipes 

How long do u steep the grain/ wat temp?

Old 04-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #2884
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_maffucci View Post
How long do u steep the grain/ wat temp?
I would do it in the 150 - 154 degree range for about 20 minutes in about 2 1/2 gallons of water. Then let them drain in a colander over the pot, then if you want you can put them in another pot with 165 degree water, dip them in there to rinse them, let them drain, then dump that water into the main pot. Or just rinse them while they are over the pot in the colander with the 165 degree water.

Go Spartans!!

http://www.youtube.com/MrSparty1995

Old 04-02-2013, 06:43 PM   #2885
b_maffucci
Recipes 

Easy, thanks

Old 04-03-2013, 01:20 AM   #2886
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I am going to post this in two posts. half way through my pour in my bubba keg (52 oz) I ran out of centennial and finished up the rest by topping off with this and WOW. Half and half of this with cream of three crops is pretty darn good. My favorite between the two is centennial but the combo is a close 2nd.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #2887
ruppaloop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

What temp are you mashing in at?

Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 PM   #2888
ruppaloop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

sorry wrong thread

Old 04-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #2889
Jake8078
Recipes 

So, I got 50 pages in, but I haven't seen an answer to the question I have.

The first post states that it can be done with 4 days in primary and 5 days secondary, but I didn't see anyone commenting on having used that same aggressive schedule when they made it.

I brewed this on Sunday (3/31), and having had too many parties lately, my rolling stock of homebrew has been obliterated, so I'd like to get this on tap ASAP. The rest of my keezer build is coming in on Monday 4/8.

I made a few mistakes when I brewed this (my first AG batch), including doubling the hops (was looking at the 10g batch) and only hitting a mash temp of 141 (I ended up deciding to mash for 2.5 hours as a result). My OG came out to only 1.031. I think I've rectified the cause of these problems, but wanted to mention in case it was relevant. I also used S-05 yeast.

So, my questions are:

Assuming fermentation is completed as measured with hydrometer,

1.) Is transferring to secondary necessary? I know there are a lot of opinions out there on using secondaries in general, but looking for input on how it applies to this situation. I don't have gelatin, so I wouldn't be using any.

2.) Is 9 days total too short from kettle to keg?

I'm thinking that, whether I do a secondary or not, I will place in Keezer on 4/9 for 48 hours to drop some yeast out of suspension, and then transfer to keg on 4/11 and burst carbonate.

Thanks for any advice!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #2890
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8078 View Post
So, I got 50 pages in, but I haven't seen an answer to the question I have.

The first post states that it can be done with 4 days in primary and 5 days secondary, but I didn't see anyone commenting on having used that same aggressive schedule when they made it.

I brewed this on Sunday (3/31), and having had too many parties lately, my rolling stock of homebrew has been obliterated, so I'd like to get this on tap ASAP. The rest of my keezer build is coming in on Monday 4/8.

I made a few mistakes when I brewed this (my first AG batch), including doubling the hops (was looking at the 10g batch) and only hitting a mash temp of 141 (I ended up deciding to mash for 2.5 hours as a result). My OG came out to only 1.031. I think I've rectified the cause of these problems, but wanted to mention in case it was relevant. I also used S-05 yeast.

So, my questions are:

Assuming fermentation is completed as measured with hydrometer,

1.) Is transferring to secondary necessary? I know there are a lot of opinions out there on using secondaries in general, but looking for input on how it applies to this situation. I don't have gelatin, so I wouldn't be using any.

2.) Is 9 days total too short from kettle to keg?

I'm thinking that, whether I do a secondary or not, I will place in Keezer on 4/9 for 48 hours to drop some yeast out of suspension, and then transfer to keg on 4/11 and burst carbonate.

Thanks for any advice!

Personally, I rarely use a secondary. I usually forget the Irish Moss in my boil, I've never used gelatin, I usually cold crash, but sometimes forget...point is, the beer usually clears up fine regardless. In this instance, going for quick turnaround, I would definitely cold crash.

9 days is totally doable. Pitch the correct amount of yeast, and keep temps in line, and there is no reason it can't be ready to keg in that amount of time...maybe less.

I will admit that sometimes I get lazy and rather than bother with checking final gravity, I'll just let my brews sit in primary 3-4 weeks and then keg. With trying for speed I would DEFINITELY be checking FG...probably starting around day 6 or 7...

Quick Reply