Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2013, 04:56 AM   #2831
Komocabo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 127 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Update... well, something magical happened in the keg over the last few days... I couldnt help it so I poured a little... just to try... and it cleaned up really nicely! Yep, gonna brew this one again

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2013, 07:07 AM   #2832
cpl-america
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridden View Post
mashed at 154 for 60 mins, shook the sh%$ out of fermenter for 10 mins, and pitched a rehydrated Notty for 5 gallons.
gonna try it again this weekend and see if i can spot what went wrong.
My guess is that you didn't get good starch conversions. Maybe mashing too high. Or possibly not enough viable yeast.

"it's totally cheaper to brew beer, honey, i swear."

Old 03-22-2013, 01:43 PM   #2833
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
I made this a week ago and hit 1.040 as starting gravity, but after a week and a half at perfect conditions in a temp controlled freezer, ive only gotten down to 1.020. That's only 2.5 abv but I dont care if itll taste ok. Any ideas on what went wrong?
Hydrometer sample is pretty weak.
Quote:
mashed at 154 for 60 mins, shook the sh%$ out of fermenter for 10 mins, and pitched a rehydrated Notty for 5 gallons.
gonna try it again this weekend and see if i can spot what went wrong.
If your thermometer is accurate then 154 is definitely not too high. Its probably high for this beer but it wouldn't leave you with 1.02. I suggest you test it to make sure its accurate.

Next, like america said you probably didn't have a good viable cell count. You could have re-hydrated too high, pitched into hot wort, bad packet of yeast, etc. If it were me I would toss in some more yeast to chew that down a little. No doubt its going to be very thick and sweet.

Goodluck.

Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #2834
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Quote:
I made this a week ago and hit 1.040 as starting gravity, but after a week and a half at perfect conditions in a temp controlled freezer, ive only gotten down to 1.020. That's only 2.5 abv but I dont care if itll taste ok. Any ideas on what went wrong?
Hydrometer sample is pretty weak.
What temp is it fermenting at. Might be worth getting the ambient temp up to 70 degrees to thaw out some otherwise chilly yeast.

Old 03-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #2835
bikenbrew75
Recipes 

I'm trying this out tomorrow. 10 gallons all grain. Had to adjust the grain bill a little since the LHBS ran out of Crystal 10L. So it is going to be with 14.2 oz of 10L and the rest of the pound with 20L. Shouldn't make much difference. Sounds like a good brew. Gonna use WLP002 yeast as well. I usually let brews sit way longer that a week so I'll let you know how it comes out. Ever play with adding more hops to this? Thinking of adding some Saaz at the end of the boil. Any thoughts?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #2836
Jakeintoledo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 7

So, I made this once, and I didn't care much for the flavor (tasted like soap--but I won't deny this could have likely been an off-flavor).

And it seemed a little sweet to me, so I upped the hop content. This original recipe came in at about 22IBUs, but I instead cranked up the hop content, and did ALL late hopping. 0.75oz Centennial @ 25mins, 1oz @ 15min, and dry-hopped Ahtanum for three days in secondary.

I gave this about a month to age, and it's pretty good. not hoppy, but full of character. because it's a little more complex and aged, I call it Centennial Cougar. LOL

Jake in Toledo

Primary: Privateer English Pale Ale
Kegged: VEE HAFF VAYS AUF MAKING YOU TALK LOUDLY Dunkel
Bottled: Pacific Pride (American) Pale Ale

Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #2837
sethlovex
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeintoledo
So, I made this once, and I didn't care much for the flavor (tasted like soap--but I won't deny this could have likely been an off-flavor).

And it seemed a little sweet to me, so I upped the hop content. This original recipe came in at about 22IBUs, but I instead cranked up the hop content, and did ALL late hopping. 0.75oz Centennial @ 25mins, 1oz @ 15min, and dry-hopped Ahtanum for three days in secondary.

I gave this about a month to age, and it's pretty good. not hoppy, but full of character. because it's a little more complex and aged, I call it Centennial Cougar. LOL
You should make your label look like skintight jeans

Old 03-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #2838
mhurst111
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 19 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 809 Times on 535 Posts
Likes Given: 21

image-3176306495.jpg

I just racked my latest version of this onto 6 lbs of strawberries. The glass on the left is the original recipe that has been in a slightly over carbonated keg for 2 weeks.The one on the right is what came out of the primary and went on the berries.

For the strawberry blonde, I was trying to mash at 154. I wound up at 156 for 30 min and then dropped it down to 154. Definitely maltier than the original recipe.
Only other change was to omit the first cascade addition and just do the entire .5 oz at the 5 min mark.

OG was 1.041 and I was surprised it still finished (so far) at 1.010.

SWMBO is really looking forward to the strawberry version. Plan is to keep it on the berries for 7-9 days then transfer again to let it settle and clear. Probably a month away.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #2839
SwivelHips
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikenbrew75 View Post
Thinking of adding some Saaz at the end of the boil. Any thoughts?
I think it would go great; I finish my house amber with Saaz and love it.

Old 03-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #2840
bikenbrew75
Recipes 

Ended up brewing this today instead of yesterday. Hit all my numbers and it looks good. Didn't add the Saaz though. Maybe I'll add that in the secondary. By far the lightest beer I've brewed.

Quick Reply