Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 05:54 PM   #2821
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinkstuffnthings
Any problem using Pilsen malt instead of 2 row?
Shouldn't be. Will be lighter and will need to be boiled for 90 min to drive off the Dms.

----------
Bubba's Backyard Brewery

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #2822
Estbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 16

If i would use larger amoun of centennial to reach desired IBU level and use rest of centennial and cascade only for aroma addition at 5 min or even flame out, would it be different beer? Or even use magnum for bittering? Just wondering about these different addition times lately

Old 03-20-2013, 12:52 AM   #2823
BillyMojo
Recipes 

I borrowed this recipe and made some minor changes, to apply it to BIAB.

I've brewed 5 consecutive batches (5.5 gal finals) .. and I'm tasting the second one now.

The first one, I didn't modify the steep time. 60 mins.

Pretty much came out like all the comments I've read in the early stages of the thread.

Second batch, I steeped for 90 mins. and changed to Wyeast 1056.

BINGO.

higher OG (1.049)

let it sit on the yeast in the primary for 14 days (FG 1.009 on day 14, day 13, and day 12.)

simple simple simple rack to bottling bucket on 3/4 cup table sugar boiled in 2 cups of water.

bottled about 46~ or so 12 0z. bottles.

let them sit for 14 days, then chilled.

Now, I compared one side-by-side to a local Pale Ale. (Boulevard.)

mine is more complex, full, and better flavor.

I've got 3 more batches in various stages of primary, secondary, and bottle conditioning. This recipe is a home-run.

final numbers overlap Pale Ales.

Thanks, guys.

Old 03-20-2013, 03:20 AM   #2824
sethlovex
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Nice work BillyMojo. I actually brewed this tonite myself, just pitched WL001 that I built up a starter for two days ago. OG was right on the money. Can't wait to keg it. The best part is I still have enough hops and specialty grains to brew another 5 gal batch. Thanks Biermuncher!

Old 03-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #2825
cridden
Recipes 

I made this a week ago and hit 1.040 as starting gravity, but after a week and a half at perfect conditions in a temp controlled freezer, ive only gotten down to 1.020. That's only 2.5 abv but I dont care if itll taste ok. Any ideas on what went wrong?
Hydrometer sample is pretty weak.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #2826
FlyDoctor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridden
I made this a week ago and hit 1.040 as starting gravity, but after a week and a half at perfect conditions in a temp controlled freezer, ive only gotten down to 1.020. That's only 2.5 abv but I dont care if itll taste ok. Any ideas on what went wrong?
Hydrometer sample is pretty weak.
Did you pitch enough healthy yeast and did you oxygenate? Also high mash temps.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #2827
cridden
Recipes 

mashed at 154 for 60 mins, shook the sh%$ out of fermenter for 10 mins, and pitched a rehydrated Notty for 5 gallons.
gonna try it again this weekend and see if i can spot what went wrong.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #2828
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed this an fermentation was done after 9 days so I kegged it and force carbed it. Tried it last night after being in the keg for a few days to carb up. My first sip was kind of bland but then I got a very odd taste... sort of like old skunky beer. My wife says it tastes like Budweiser and I have to agree. I used the exact grain bill and hop schedule but used a fresh smackpack of 1056. I mashed at 152 for 60 if I remember correctly. I am wondering if mashing for 90 would make any difference. Any insight? I have a 3 keg set up and I fly sparge, if that helps

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 AM   #2829
BigRedDog
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komocabo
I brewed this an fermentation was done after 9 days so I kegged it and force carbed it. Tried it last night after being in the keg for a few days to carb up. My first sip was kind of bland but then I got a very odd taste... sort of like old skunky beer. My wife says it tastes like Budweiser and I have to agree. I used the exact grain bill and hop schedule but used a fresh smackpack of 1056. I mashed at 152 for 60 if I remember correctly. I am wondering if mashing for 90 would make any difference. Any insight? I have a 3 keg set up and I fly sparge, if that helps
Budweiser has the flavor of acetaldehyde, which can be perceived as sour apple (kind of like Jolly Roger candy). That off flavor is caused by fermentation issues such as low pitching rate, low oxygenation of wort, or not letting the yeast complete its process (clean up). Perhaps you pulled it off too early??? Anyway maybe it will dissipate a bit if you give it time.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:50 AM   #2830
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 118 Times on 100 Posts

Yeah, I'm hoping that it will clear up a bit. If it does then I will be happy because its a cheap beer to brew... I've been trying to make a good session brew... I'll let it sit in the keg for another week and pour off another pint

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Quick Reply