Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 03:03 PM   #2641
jflongo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
Going on 6 days for me, and still bubbling away Also just broke my 3rd hydrometer yesterday, and get a new one in 2 days. So I'll let this go 8 days, and then test the gravity.
I'll be testing the gravity on this soon. Do any of you guys put this in a secondary, or just bottle after it's done?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 04:04 PM   #2642
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
I'll be testing the gravity on this soon. Do any of you guys put this in a secondary, or just bottle after it's done?
I have, but only to get to the yeast to wash it because I was following up with the same batch and wanted to harvest it. It has cleared fine in primary so if you don't need to I wouldnt waste the time or risk.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:35 PM   #2643
justkev52
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

I like the Briess 2- row.

Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #2644
jflongo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasty_rabbit View Post
I have, but only to get to the yeast to wash it because I was following up with the same batch and wanted to harvest it. It has cleared fine in primary so if you don't need to I wouldnt waste the time or risk.
I was going to harvest my yeast as well, but figured I could after bottling it. Is there a reason why you transfer it first? I'll be putting this into a bottling bucket, so figured i could seal up my fermenting bucket and then harvest the yeast when i'm done.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #2645
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo

I was going to harvest my yeast as well, but figured I could after bottling it. Is there a reason why you transfer it first? I'll be putting this into a bottling bucket, so figured i could seal up my fermenting bucket and then harvest the yeast when i'm done.
It was a couple of gravity points from being done but there was a 1.5 inch layer of yeast that I wanted to get to and I was brewing this batch again the next day. So I moved it to get to the yeast and let it finish in the secondary. In the future that won't happen as I will plan ahead and have yeast available.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:16 PM   #2646
jflongo
Recipes 

I am definitely going to harvest a couple pints of mine. I already have a couple pints of Irish Ale yeast in my fridge. I figured it would be nice to have a cuople of pints of Nottingham in there as well for the future.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:21 PM   #2647
OBayBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I brewed this 3-FEB-13 exactly to spec. Gravity came out to 1.040; spot on!
Lost quite a bit in the boil, somewhere around 1.5 gal so not quite a 5 gal brew, but it is beautiful.
Tested the SG 6-FEB-13 and it is at 1.000. I'd call that done. It tasted great! Nice and light, with just a slight bitterness and citrus flavour from the hops.
I'm going to cold crash for clarity and then bottle sometime this weekend.
Can't wait to try the finished product in about a week!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:30 PM   #2648
jflongo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBayBrewer View Post
Lost quite a bit in the boil, somewhere around 1.5 gal so not quite a 5 gal brew, but it is beautiful.
Tested the SG 6-FEB-13 and it is at 1.000. I'd call that done. It tasted great! Nice and light, with just a slight bitterness and citrus flavour from the hops.
Wow 3 days. Mine is going on 9 days, still have it in the fermenter, my gravity was 1054 though.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #2649
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBayBrewer View Post
Really...Have you checked what your hydrometer reads in distilled water? Not sure I have ever seen a beer finish this dry with an all malt grain bill

Old 02-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #2650
BigPicture
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 78

I just did a search on YouTube for washing yeast. It's so easy. Yeast has always been the most expensive item when buying ingredients. This is going to save much $$$$$$ over time & ultimately make a better beer.

I just ordered PacMan special & it took 2 weeks from my LHBS.

I've had very good luck with liquid yeast, a starter, & a stir plate! I made my own stir plate for $5 with instructions I found on HBT. My beer just keeps getting better & better.

Thanks Guys!

Quick Reply