Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #2631
ButcherBrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

24 hours at 30 is not enough to get you into the 2. range. I do 30 for 48 hours, 20 for 24 and then to serving pressure. Even following this technique, I find that the beer is not perfectly carbed until a week after sitting on serving pressure. To be ready for tomorrow's game, I would put it back to 30 until right before kickoff. Bleed and move back to serving pressure. Might not be perfect... But should be much closer and acceptable to your crowd of thirsty party goers. Good luck.

Bottled - Nope...
Keg: -
#1 Goodnight Sunshine Wheat
#2 Oatmeal Stout
#3 Butcher's Brown Ale
#4 Hoparillo IPA

Plum Creek Brewing

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 AM   #2632
CoopersGoose
Recipes 

Running down to up the pressure now. Also going to work on balancing my lines a bit. My pour only takes 4-5 seconds at 12 psi with a 10 ft hose 3/16" ID. Let you know how it goes. Who you rooting for anyway? I'm going 49ers even though they've beaten my Bengals in previous SBs.

Old 02-03-2013, 05:03 PM   #2633
nasty_rabbit
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 61 Posts

I made two batches one week apart as to harvest yeast from the first. I transferred the first one to a 5 gallon secondary when it was about 90% complete (don’t beat me up about using a secondary, it was the easiest way to get to the yeast in the primary) in the future I will make a larger starter and split it before pitching. I know that, with variables, they are not exactly identical. My intent is to have 10 gallons of the same beer so I split the beer from the secondary to 2 kegs, purged the head space and placed them in the fridge. The appearance of the first batch is almost mead like as that it is crystal clear. In the carboy I could clearly see the hauler straps and in the sample I know that I could read a news paper through it. The samples from both batches tasted fantastic although the second batch was slightly sweet and yeasty. I am now warming it up a bit to give it time to clean up.
When the second batch is done I was going to also split that one and top off both kegs then carbonate. Looking back I see most of the should have, could have and would have but what I am looking for is confirmation that this will work.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:04 AM   #2634
sr20steve
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

FWIW I brewed a split batch of this beer with half WLP001 and half Notty (like the original recipe calls for) and the 001 was MUCH better according to me and all others who tasted this brew.

Old 02-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #2635
jflongo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
This is bubbling away for me in my fermenter now. Can't wait to taste test this when I rack it in 4 or 5 days.
Going on 6 days for me, and still bubbling away Also just broke my 3rd hydrometer yesterday, and get a new one in 2 days. So I'll let this go 8 days, and then test the gravity.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #2636
llama_boy
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Brewed another 10 gallon batch this time using Great Western 2-row and wyeast 1728. Fermented cold at 60*. It's been 10 days since brewing and the terminal gravity was hit in 3 day. I'll try to keg it tomorrow and get it carbed for next weekend. I'll report the results and contrast it to my previous batch using Marris Otter which netted a score of 40.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #2637
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

So when I bought my sack of grain I asked for 2-row. they got me the Briess 2-row. Now I am confused since I thought all 2-row was a pale malt but the Briess does not say it is pale. So what is the difference

Old 02-05-2013, 06:08 PM   #2638
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7144 View Post
So when I bought my sack of grain I asked for 2-row. they got me the Briess 2-row. Now I am confused since I thought all 2-row was a pale malt but the Briess does not say it is pale. So what is the difference
all 2-rows are pale malts including Briess'.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #2639
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBrew71 View Post
all 2-rows are pale malts including Briess'.
thanks

Old 02-06-2013, 02:59 PM   #2640
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 479 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion7144 View Post
Base malts:

2 row pale malt - AKA Klages. A grain that has 2 rows along the seed head. 2 row malt has more starch per unit of weight than 6 row. 2L

6 row - A grain that has 6 rows along the seed head. There is more husk weight in 6 row than in 2 row. 2L

Pilsner - A pale malt with a sweeter flavor than 2 row malt. It produces a smoother and less grainy flavored beer. 1L

Wheat - The malt used for many wheat beers. Can be added to non wheat beers in small quantities to add to the head retention properties. 1.8-2.8L

Briess is simply a brand name.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

justkev52 Likes This 

Quick Reply