Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2013, 12:43 AM   #2581
captainkirk83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks for the input. I don't want to mess up my first ag by rushing to bottles.
Especially since I know once it is bottled I won't be patient

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #2582
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I was in a bind so I poured half of two cornys together. They were this with notty and half of the 15 min boil recipie. All I can say is WOW. Combined one corney to the other then went to a gathering. I like both brew separate but dam.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:05 AM   #2583
Cider123
Recipes 

Liked 201 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I want to make this because I'm looking for a refreshing light ale but I'm just not excited by the hops. I do not like the citrus taste of Cascade and cascade-like hops at all.

I do want to be mindful to replace it with a hops that with provide some additional flavor. I don't want it to just come out like a BMC. I was thinking of using some german hops like Hersbrucker or maybe Mt.Hood or Liberty. I would use Beersmith to get the amounts needed for the IBU's listed in the recipe. It wouldn't be the Cent Blonde anymore, but I would hate to make 5 gallons and not like the taste.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #2584
justkev52
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Belma hops are nice and mellow.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:39 PM   #2585
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kroach01 View Post
Just brewed this yesterday with 1056, cant wait to try it! Looks to be one of the lightest colored beers I've brewed.
1056 is my favorite yeast I've tried out of it, Notty, and WLP001.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojzis View Post
Ageing will almost always provide an even better result. While fermentation can be done in one week, its usually a good idea to let it clear up, settle and consume secondary products of fermentation.

I wouldn't pop a bottle until at least 2 weeks. Of course I've opened at one week in the past (hasn't everyone?), but that's just one beer less when it peaks. IME anyway.
No need to secondary this beer. Let it sit in the primary for two or three weeks. It will clear just fine. I've had this after a month in primary and grain to glass in less than 8 days. Both were delicious, but the longer primary definitely resulted in a clearer beer. The only way I would do 8 days again is give it one more day than I did the first time in primary, cold crash, and force carb at higher pressures than I did the first time to get it clearer and fewer pulls of yeasty beer from the bottom of the keg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cider123 View Post
I want to make this because I'm looking for a refreshing light ale but I'm just not excited by the hops. I do not like the citrus taste of Cascade and cascade-like hops at all.

I do want to be mindful to replace it with a hops that with provide some additional flavor. I don't want it to just come out like a BMC. I was thinking of using some german hops like Hersbrucker or maybe Mt.Hood or Liberty. I would use Beersmith to get the amounts needed for the IBU's listed in the recipe. It wouldn't be the Cent Blonde anymore, but I would hate to make 5 gallons and not like the taste.
This beer is stupid cheap to make, especially if you're doing all grain. If you don't like it, everyone else will. This beer is delicious. Nothing crazy. The hops are just enough to let you know you're not drinking an MGD or comparable. I like having this beer around all the time.
BierMuncher Likes This 
Old 01-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #2586
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 112 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer

No need to secondary this beer.
Just to clear things up, allow time for secondary products of fermentation to be consumed is what was written. Not secondary this beer.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM   #2587
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyled93

If you were to compare it to a commercial brew. What would be the closest? I have to brew a for a wedding in March and they requested a blonde..
Like a lighter, less hoppy Sierra Nevada ... Or a Sam Adams pale ale (not Boston pale ale)... Except with much more flavorful American hops instead of fuggles and EKG ...

I re brewed this weekend, but after a few high gravity Belgians we screwed up the grain bill, so I threw the hop schedule in the wind and made something different. It's certainly no longer the blonde I wanted!!

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 01-22-2013, 10:11 PM   #2588
daggers_nz
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I'm ploughing through my crate of this, it's damn good to have around in the summer. I might make it again soon with 1056

Drinking: Belgian IPA, Basil Lime Saison, Dark Saison, WY1007 Kolsch, Centennial Blonde

Old 01-23-2013, 02:14 AM   #2589
nonameisgood
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I made a batch of your Centennial Blonde partial extract (with Nottingham pitched dry) recipe on Dec 12, 2012, and christened it "12 Blondes". 5 days in the primary, 5 in the secondary, kegged at 31 psig, chilled until I served it on Dec 24. It was perfect and the party crowd loved it.

So I'm brewing another batch, but, because of this or that, ended up adding a two pounds more light DME with a quart of water after a couple of days. It gets kegged tomorrow, and I'll tell y'all about it if it is awesome.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #2590
orion7144
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts

I posted a while back of the split batch I did with notty and us-05 and I liked the 05 much better. The notty was good but I like the cleaner taste of the 05. I have a split batch of cream of three crops done the same way so it will be interesting to see how that comes out.

Quick Reply