Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > American Ale > Multiple - Centennial Blonde (Simple 4% All Grain, 5 & 10 Gall)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 AM   #2511
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Just wrapped up my first all grain brew in a bag (BIAB) using this recipe.

I started with 7.5 gallons. Mashed in at 158, mostly stable 150 F temps in my boil kettle for 60 minutes, had to bring it up 3 F near the end. Pulled the bag afterwards and let it drain over a bucket for 15 minutes while I brought my wort to a boil.

Then I squeezed the bag nice and good and added remaining runnings from the grains. Followed the rest of the directions for hop additions, added a half whirfloc with the last hop addition at 5 minutes, cooled and siphoned to the fermenter while the notty hydrated. Pitched and now sitting in the fermenter.

Love the color and clarity from the hydrometer sample I got. Tasted great.

If I would have changed anything I would have started with more water to account for trub and boil off. Still dialing that in. Would have started with 8 gallons.

Never used notty, how long does it take to really get going?

I attached a pic collage from the day...

image.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #2512
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by 241 View Post
Never used notty, how long does it take to really get going?
Never mind, already going nuts

Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM   #2513
NoTrubble
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So I originally consumed this too early which made me think it was ****. Now after aging it for a while I find that I'm almost out of it! And to top that off it's too cold outside to do another one right now.

Kegged: 100% Wheat
Kegged: Shiner Clonish something or other.
91lbs Malted Wheat Remain

Old 12-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #2514
HBrew71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrubble View Post
So I originally consumed this too early which made me think it was ****. Now after aging it for a while I find that I'm almost out of it! And to top that off it's too cold outside to do another one right now.
I have noticed that this one (actually most beers) always peek after about three weeks in the keg. I usually make another batch when it is ripe because this one goes fast. Little cold weather wont stop me

Old 12-27-2012, 01:13 AM   #2515
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I don't have adequate temperature controlled room for making beer during winter. I got a stuck fermentation on my Tripel X recipe I made a couple of weeks ago. I got a heating pad on low underneath of it. Hopefully it will finish out even though it may take some time. The tell tale signs of yeast activity are starting to show again as the primary is clouding back up with slight action on top. I'm hopeful.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:55 AM   #2516
dallasdb
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrubble View Post
I don't have adequate temperature controlled room for making beer during winter. I got a stuck fermentation on my Tripel X recipe I made a couple of weeks ago. I got a heating pad on low underneath of it. Hopefully it will finish out even though it may take some time. The tell tale signs of yeast activity are starting to show again as the primary is clouding back up with slight action on top. I'm hopeful.
How cold were you fermenting when it got stuck?

Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #2517
NoTrubble
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

We got a sudden cold snap and the carboy dropped down into the low 60s. It was kinda cold crashing out and clearing up which is why I thought it was done. It's back up to around 74-76F after getting it off the floor while maintaining the heating pad under it. It's nice and cloudy once again! :0)

Old 12-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #2518
egsb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Brewed this for Christmas and it was a big hit at the party. Will certainly brew again, thanks!

Old 12-31-2012, 08:49 PM   #2519
sloose
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTrubble
We got a sudden cold snap and the carboy dropped down into the low 60s. It was kinda cold crashing out and clearing up which is why I thought it was done. It's back up to around 74-76F after getting it off the floor while maintaining the heating pad under it. It's nice and cloudy once again! :0)
I usually ferment this I'm the low 60s in a swamp cooler to keep it as clean flavored as possible. 60s shouldn't stop an ale fermentation ... I'm my swamp cooler in the winter months I can easily hold 60F with 12 hour ice block changes In the rope tub.

Bottled&Drinking: Founders All Day IPA Clone, Centennial blonde, Vienna Hefeweizen, Belgian wit, blizzard imperial IPA,
Conditioning: hard local cider
Primary: more local hard cider!
Secondary:
On Deck: English bitter, English IPA

Old 12-31-2012, 09:01 PM   #2520
Brizzo
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I was getting ready to cold crash this as my hydro sample was 1.010. I had some weird flavors, sharp yeast bite and something else that I can,t describe. I brought it upstairs and warmed up to 70. Ferm seemed to take off again so I am wondering if it wasn't quite done yet. I thought 1.010 was pretty low. I will probably end up dry hopping this too in a couple weeks.

Quick Reply